IGNORED

Know Any Really Good Golfers That Completely Quit Due to Frustration?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

it's a dead game, laddies and you could have had a Spyder!

But I don't want a Spyder...I want to spend my money on golf...

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had no idea Spyders were so cheap!

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

To be clear, you’re on a forum for golfers, dedicated to golf, and trying to let everyone here know what it’s like on a golf course.  The hyperbole is quite entertaining, though.  Please continue. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

Sorry, gotta respond to the idiocy.

You don't, and I've taken the very unusual step of banning you from the site, because it's incredibly clear that you're just here to troll.

So… "Adios."

3 minutes ago, lastings said:

To be clear, you’re on a forum for golfers, dedicated to golf, and trying to let everyone here know what it’s like on a golf course.  The hyperbole is quite entertaining, though.  Please continue. 

Sorry to have deprived you of the opportunity to have him go on, @lastings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, Fitcat21 said:

Just remember, it's a dead game, laddies and you could have had a Spyder! lol 

Adios amigos

To be clear, golf has been around a long time before you and will be around long after you. That's an idiotic statement

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 hours ago, Fitcat21 said:

Myspace

Lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Wow, he managed to be both ageist and sexist in the same post. We dont need that sort of person here so glad he's gone.

Anyway, i really cant agree with the whole "kids a ruining the game thanks to their phones" crap he was spouting. Sure there are some who are addicted to their phones but most of these, in my experience, dont play golf as the money that would go one clubs goes on the latest IPhone (other brands are available).

I've seen teenagers on the course complaing about older guys holding them up as they are on their phones so it goes both ways.

Ladies holding up play? No more than guys would. Sure as golfers get older they take longer but thats normal, it will come to us all one day.

Look, golf isnt for everyone. If 4-5 hour rounds make you angry or the odd person taking a call mid round then maybe golf isnt the sport for you. Too many people these days are after that instant gratification or want things done yesterday. They want to play that 4hr round in 2hrs and woe betide those who hold them up. I think Fitcat21 was one of these.

For me, golf is a time to slow down and chill. If a round takes 4 hrs or so then whats the problem?. If you factor the time in to your day then all's good. I have enough stress during the week and thoese guys on the course who may be playing a little slow are in the same boat as me so let them take that little extra time if they need it.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 1 month later...

I’ve seen quite a few good solid players abandon the game over the years for a variety of reasons, but mostly physical. Three had rotator cuff surgery (one was a club pro) and were unable to regain their form afterwards. They declined to play a diminished brand of golf. The club pro changed careers and took up bass fishing for a hobby. One had knee replacement surgery and was disappointed by the subsequent loss of distance (affected his ability to rotate). Another had a heart attack resulting in death (can’t really blame him I suppose).  I can only think of one fellow who just quit. He is tall and naturally athletic with a marvellous swing. One day he just stopped playing because he decided that his game had started down the decline that comes with age.  My suspicion is that golfers who took the game up early and became quite good lose interest once their physical skills begin to fade.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:56 AM, Fitcat21 said:

Tape the swings of the guys who suck and show them what they look like. Most will be disgusted and realize they are clueless hacks and will thank you for pointing out how ridiculous they look and how much money you have just saved them.

This actually happened to me maybe 6 to 8 years ago. My daughter was working as an intern in an industry where she filmed and edited government meetings. For my birthday she set up at the driving range to capture my swing. Well, about 2 weeks later a CD arrived and I eagerly put it in my laptop to watch. I basically quit golf on the spot. This was mid June and I did not play golf the rest of that season. I told my golf buddies that I could not believe I did that (swing) in public. I probably offended a few as my swing was better than theirs. I was not a great golfer (a little better than bogey golf at the time), but I had imagined that my swing and game were much better, but I realized that I sucked as much as everyone else around me. An ego thing where reality reared its ugly head.

The next year I decided to take things a little more serious and started to actually practice and work on things. I had the goal of breaking 80 within 3 years or I would quit for good. I had broken 40 a few times, but could never put two of those better rounds together. I did break 80 that summer and now can do it about 25 to 30% of the time. My goal it to increase that to 75% of the time before age and time catches up with me. Growing up I only had one big summer (age 16) where I played about every day. Only took two lessons. I can identify with Fitcat1's cynicism and I am sure he/she is having fun yanking our chains here.

My swing has improved and has gotten much smoother.

• 2 years later...

I am 63 and just quit after playing since 14  years of age.  I have spent thousands of dollars on the game, played at the national amateur level and have been a +2 handicap for many years when I was in my prime.  I quit because it is very hard to start playing poorly because of age and health and because I have an unusual personal life with taking care of a handicap child and toddler with my wife.  I've been given a burden to bear but everyone has them.   I am still finding something to replace those hours at the golf course  and am thinking of possible getting in good shape at the rec center.

• iacas changed the title to Know Any Really Good Golfers That Completely Quit Due to Frustration?
Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!