IGNORED

2014 Open Championship (British Open) at Royal Liverpool Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, every single year i place a little bet on someone to win The Open, and every single year i seem to struggle to get it right... My last win was Padraig Harrington, years ago. Personally, i like to have a little bet on every Major, as i'm sure a number of you do. The only issue is, this Open Championship seems to be open to anyone, it's almost a sweepstake.

Justin Rose is hot in the eye's of the public, and from what he says, he seems pretty confident:http://www.goodwood.co.uk/golf-at-goodwood/latest-news/articles/justin-rose-blog.aspx

It's understandable, as he has literally just won, and seems to play well on difficult golf courses. But, call me crazy, i'll be rooting for Tiger at Hoylake. Last time he played there, his course management was stunning. Iron off the tee, fairway finding masterclass. It's just whether he has his head screwed on to do the same again.

So, i was going to bet on Tiger... But, what i want to do is a little test. I've attached a poll below, and whichever golfer has the majority of the votes from the golfing community will be the golfer i bet on, and think we should all go for. So, pick your golfer...

Adam Scott! :beer:

I say this because he is also my contest prediction and my top guy in a couple of side bets. It was Tiger when I was optimistic about his return, but I can't see Tiger winning any time soon, unfortunately. That is, unless something drastic happens and he breaks the rust off like a transformer or something.

Stenson gets his 1st major at The Open this year.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.  For some insight on what the members here are thinking check out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75362/2014-british-open-contest-win-a-callaway-big-bertha-driver

(where you can make your small bet for free)

and

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75401/2014-open-championship-british-open-at-royal-liverpool-discussion-thread#post_1013614

Thanks @MEfree

Yes for any further discussion about the 2014 Open Championship, please post in the discussion thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Don't see that it's possible to look beyond Kaymer, the way he's playing at the moment. But my pick of the outsiders is Casey, he's coming back to form.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

nice announcement by the R&A; today

Quote:
The R&A; announced today that they have extended an invitation to next years Open at St. Andrews
The R&A; announced today that the exemption of five-time Open Champion Tom Watson will be extended to enable him to make his 40th anniversary appearance in the 2015 Open Championship at St Andrews.
The 64-year-old, who came so close to winning the 2009 Open at Turnberry, will play once again at the home of golf next year and make a remarkable 37th appearance in golf’s oldest and most international Major Championship.
The R&A; presented Watson with a special commemorative solid silver Players’ Badge to mark his 40 years in The Open Championship.

Players play, tough players win!

nice announcement by the R&A; today

May be recanted after the US takes the Ryder Cup in Sep.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The field now includes

Kevin Stadler J.B. Holmes
K.J. Choi Erik Compton Charles Howell III Brooks Koepka
Chesson Hadley Freddie Jacobson Anirban Lahiri Scott Stallings

via the OWGR.  I think this means that most of the top 82 in the OWGR will be playing as Stallings is currently #82 making it one of the stronger fields of the year.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Was up at Liverpool on Tuesday on business and tried to get on the course to no avail as the stands are being finished and the course prepped. From what I saw, it look absolutely perfect - rough is up in places, double cut. Fairways look brownish, but we have had rain over the week and right now.

If it continues to dry out, there will be minimal drivers taken and it will be an enormous test of putting and the short game, but winning score will be way under par.

If it gets wet and blows, a lot tougher, oddly enough. The greens are like dead elephant graveyards.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Weather will definitely dictate scoring. Some venues are tough no matter what the weather, but Liverpool is similar to St. Andrews where if it's calm, players will feast on birdies, especially with four par-5s, all reachable in two.

Weather will definitely dictate scoring. Some venues are tough no matter what the weather, but Liverpool is similar to St. Andrews where if it's calm, players will feast on birdies, especially with four par-5s, all reachable in two.

Weather will play a part - more wind than rain, IMO.

Here is a way too early look at the forecast.

Weather will play a part - more wind than rain, IMO.

Here is a way too early look at the forecast.

woah, its gonna be freezing cold there!!!

Colin P.

woah, its gonna be freezing cold there!!!

LOL. Freezing cold? You do realise these are Celsius temperatures, right? 22 C is high summer, here. Anyway, relax. The weather on the West coast of England is notoriously unpredictable. Wait a few days before betting on how it will turn out.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

LOL. Freezing cold? You do realise these are Celsius temperatures, right? 22 C is high summer, here.

Anyway, relax. The weather on the West coast of England is notoriously unpredictable. Wait a few days before betting on how it will turn out.

B-)

Colin P.

Saw some pictures of the setup. Looks much, much greener than the 2006 Open, although the rough is brown and looks very high and penal. If you remember 2006, Liverpool looked like a hayfield.

Local factory worker qualifies to play in the Open Championship @ Hoylake....mayb e he can go all Francis Ouimet & win the thing?

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24610938/factory-worker-qualifies-for-british-open

Don't know if anyone has seen this. ESPN3 will have wall-to-wall Tiger coverage at The Open. http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/07/espn3-to-live-stream-tiger-woo.html [QUOTE]It seems inconceivable that Tiger Woods will be a factor in the British Open next week, given his recent surgery and the lack of on-course preparation he's had. But he will be a curiosity, as he always is, and ESPN is acknowledging this. “After missing the Masters and the U.S. Open due to back surgery, Tiger Woods will be making his first start of the season in a major and ESPN3 will offer a live feed following Woods for his entire round each day he plays,” ESPN said in a news release. ESPN3 is ESPN’s internet entity that streams live coverage of events. Woods’ rounds also will be covered on ESPN, which will offer 11 hours of live coverage over each of the first two rounds, from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m. EDT. Saturday's third-round coverage, meanwhile, will air from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. EDT, while Sunday's final round will be shown from 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. EDT.[/QUOTE]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!