IGNORED

Chipping?.....pitching?

Duffy
Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pitch/chip is technique based, not distance based. When I learned how to pitch from @david_wedzik , he had me hitting to a target that was no more than 15' away.

Choosing the right shot depends on distance, pin position, condition of the green and the lie of the ball. Based on that information you choose the technique and the club.

Thanks all. Some confusion but I think I've got it. Duffy

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

All good, if some conflicting points, I would say the first reply nails it! Let's not confuse the answer here!

No, not all good answers. Let's get the right one.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Choosing the right shot depends on distance, pin position, condition of the green and the lie of the ball. Based on that information you choose the technique and the club.

I agree, but what's that have to do with the definition of a chip and a pitch?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Very simple. A pitch is a shot I chunk from 50 yds out, leaving it 30 yds short. A chip is a shot I skull from just off the green, leaving it 30 yds past the opposite side of the green.
  • Upvote 2
my get up and go musta got up and went..

I agree, but what's that have to do with the definition of a chip and a pitch?

Pitch and chip shots are certain techniques that you use in certain situations. Of course you can make a pitch shot with wrist action when you are 20' away from the hole, if it makes you happy. [quote name="billchao" url="/t/75507/chipping-pitching/0_50#post_1013257"] Pitch/chip is technique based, not distance based.[/quote] Every golf shot is technique based - what is a distance based golf shot?

Pitch and chip shots are certain techniques that you use in certain situations. Of course you can make a pitch shot with wrist action when you are 20' away from the hole, if it makes you happy. Every golf shot is technique based - what is a distance based golf shot?

By your post, the implication was that you defined shots based on your distance from the green. I'll quote it again. [quote name="Reval14" url="/t/75507/chipping-pitching#post_1013245"]I would say there is a putt-chip (you grip and swing the club like a putter around the green) chip (little backswing (A2) with very little or no wrist action). Used around the green. pitch-chip (bigger backswing with little wrist action). When you're too far away for a chip and too close for a pitch. pitch (backswing with full wrist action) When you're too far away for a pitch-chip, and too close for a full iron shot.[/quote]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Very simple. A pitch is a shot I chunk from 50 yds out, leaving it 30 yds short. A chip is a shot I skull from just off the green, leaving it 30 yds past the opposite side of the green.

We have a winner!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Very simple.

A pitch is a shot I chunk from 50 yds out, leaving it 30 yds short.

A chip is a shot I skull from just off the green, leaving it 30 yds past the opposite side of the green.

lol my new official definition of pitch and chip :-P

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

We have a winner!

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/75507/chipping-pitching/18#post_1013342"] lol my new official definition of pitch and chip :-P [/quote] Glad I could help.:beer:

my get up and go musta got up and went..

By your post, the implication was that you defined shots based on your distance from the green. I'll quote it again.

I described the technique of each shot and added the situation when it usually is played.

putt-chip ( you grip and swing the club like a putter around the green)
chip ( little backswing (A2) with very little or no wrist action ). Used around the green.
pitch-chip ( bigger backswing with little wrist action ). When you're too far away for a chip and too close for a pitch.
pitch ( backswing with full wrist action ) When you're too far away for a pitch-chip, and too close for a full iron shot.

But I agree, you can play a putt-chip from the tee too, independently from the distance to the hole.

I described the technique of each shot and added the situation when it usually is played.

putt-chip (you grip and swing the club like a putter around the green)

chip (little backswing (A2) with very little or no wrist action). Used around the green.

pitch-chip (bigger backswing with little wrist action). When you're too far away for a chip and too close for a pitch.

pitch (backswing with full wrist action) When you're too far away for a pitch-chip, and too close for a full iron shot.

I think what @billchao is saying is that you defined these shots based on the distance from the green, the parts I bolded.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think what @billchao is saying is that you[COLOR=181818] defined these shots based on the distance from the green,[/COLOR] the parts I bolded.

Ah, ok I see. Indeed a beginner could get confused. You can execute every shot independently from the location / distance. I just tried to explain why you use those shots.

I think what @billchao is saying is that you[COLOR=181818] defined these shots based on the distance from the green,[/COLOR] the parts I bolded.

Yup. Thanks, Mike. Glad we got that cleared up, @Reval14 .

Bill

My Swing Thread

I like the the way it is organize by reval. This is a very practical approach. If I start thinking mechanical then I will get chunky or blady leaving the ball 20 yards in front or 20 yards behind the pin

I think that this thread shows what I believe, that people try to define too much complexity into the game these days.  For any of these short game shots, the goal is to carry the ball far enough so that the planned release lets the ball roll to the hole.  It's as simple as that, and it really doesn't matter what you call it.

I have chipped many times from 50 yards out, and I've pitched a lob from 20 feet.  It all depends on the circumstances.  I will still continue to call it a chip when the carry is less than half of the total distance, and a pitch when it's more.

But the name doesn't really matter (Old Bill said it well, that a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet).  What matters is that you practice all of the varieties of this shot so that you can select the correct shot when needed.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!