IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It means that you formatted your post wrong, by having text from the post you quoted OUTSIDE of the quote box, such that @Dave2512 fairly assumed that you said something that you didn't say.

Not sure how being able to read and remember things makes me a "lib," but whatever.  That's cool.

Yes, it's cool. hell I'll still go play a round of golf with all the posters in this thread. Formatting not my strong suit for sure but I try. Everyone entitled to their opinion. And I don't get mad at some one that has a different one than mine. Some of my statements were serious some were in fun. Had enough of this thread though ( obvious I won )

Pretty sure @Golfingdad would as well.

TST is the best........................ :dance:

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I would. And you don't need to bring your gun because I will cool any hotheads with niceness. :)

6'4", 250 is a good complement to niceness, I've found.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

It's simple really. What do you wear a seat belt for ? What do you wear a motorcycle helmet for ?  What do you wear work gloves for ? etc, etc, etc,

What would you carry a concealed weapon for ? The answer to all these questions is protection. And thanks to this wonderful country I live in,  I get to decide when I think I need protection and when I don't.

Once again, none of those safety items is likely to kill or injure anyone, not the wearer and not any bystanders.  A gun is not a "safety" item.  It's designed not to protect, but to kill.  In doing so it may or may not defend its user, but that doesn't make the guy you shoot any less dead.

And no, I'm not a liberal either.  You don't have to be a liberal to feel that shooting someone is almost never a good solution to a problem.

By the way, I'm surprised that Erik or some other mod hasn't dropped by to suggest that you learn to use the Multi Quote button on each post that you quote so that you don't run up 3 or 4 consecutive posts.  If I did that I'd have 20,000 posts here.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Pretty sure @Golfingdad

would as well.

TST is the best........................

Yes I would. And you don't need to bring your gun because I will cool any hotheads with niceness. :)

Niceness????

If that does not work, I know something else you are good at (or at least claim to be)...... :w00t::-P

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Very true.  It's probably contributed somewhat to the fact that people don't mess with me.  It's certainly not cuz I'm actually tough or a badass or anything, but as long as they don't know that, I'm good. :beer:

Niceness????

If that does not work, I know something else you are good at (or at least claim to be)......

I only facetiously claim to be really good at punching people in faces. :beer: In reality, I have never actually got into a (real) fight.  Ever.  (Assuming that rec hockey with gloves on doesn't count, siblings don't count, and friends in junior high while playing sports don't count)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

Very true.  It's probably contributed somewhat to the fact that people don't mess with me.  It's certainly not cuz I'm actually tough or a badass or anything, but as long as they don't know that, I'm good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Niceness????

If that does not work, I know something else you are good at (or at least claim to be)......

I only facetiously claim to be really good at punching people in faces.   In reality, I have never actually got into a (real) fight.  Ever.  (Assuming that rec hockey with gloves on doesn't count, siblings don't count, and friends in junior high while playing sports don't count)

I actually think this is probably possible for most people.

Sometimes you may actually have to "avoid" the fight.  No problem here, I have a family that needs me, pride goes by the wayside.

-Matt-

One thing I don't think was pointed out, at least not in this context, is the OP mentioned not being near enough to his cart to leave. He said the guy approached so quickly that he was closer to the guy than his cart. Like Golfingdad said how do you play golf with a gun and holster. Unless the OP had it on his person it doesn't sound like it would have been useful. So with that in mind what is the OP going to do in the future, wear it while playing? If he doesn't how does he determine when he needs it in hand. Do you grab it every time someone approaches. Do you wait until a situation escalates and chance you won't be near the cart again. Seems like an impractical attempt to comfort yourself from having the heebie-jeebies that you may face this again. But again if it's happened once and it is a rare event the chances of it happening again are slim. To me this is akin to getting struck by lightning twice. Does it happen yes but not often.

Dave :-)

One thing I don't think was pointed out, at least not in this context, is the OP mentioned not being near enough to his cart to leave. He said the guy approached so quickly that he was closer to the guy than his cart. Like Golfingdad said how do you play golf with a gun and holster. Unless the OP had it on his person it doesn't sound like it would have been useful.

So with that in mind what is the OP going to do in the future, wear it while playing? If he doesn't how does he determine when he needs it in hand. Do you grab it every time someone approaches. Do you wait until a situation escalates and chance you won't be near the cart again. Seems like an impractical attempt to comfort yourself from having the heebie-jeebies that you may face this again. But again if it's happened once and it is a rare event the chances of it happening again are slim. To me this is akin to getting struck by lightning twice. Does it happen yes but not often.

My point exactly.  Carrying a gun on your belt, bag, etc. is not a practical solution.  There are other solutions next time a drunk guy is charging at you.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

One thing I don't think was pointed out, at least not in this context, is the OP mentioned not being near enough to his cart to leave. He said the guy approached so quickly that he was closer to the guy than his cart. Like Golfingdad said how do you play golf with a gun and holster. Unless the OP had it on his person it doesn't sound like it would have been useful.

I don't know about you guys, but this goes farther than that. I holster on the left side because I am left handed. This means that my elbow is pressing against a hard object with sharp edges on it. It would be impossible to maintain the elbows together and the non-chicken wing position with a holster.

If I had a shoulder holster it would be on my right side and interfere with my lead arm on the back swing.

The only way I can see bringing a weapon on the range is as a 15th "club" in my bag ready to pull out next to my PW. The only thing is the finish on the stock would get messed up by all the club heads banging against it.  The golf course would need to provide push carts with special holsters or golf carts with a rifle holster like in the old west. Only a lever action rifle makes any sense.

So, not only is it not desirable to bring a gun on the course, but it would seriously detract from your game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The only way I can see bringing a weapon on the range is as a 15th "club" in my bag ready to pull out next to my PW.

Oh, you just reminded me of something I wanted to post a couple of days ago, but then forgot about. :-P

If we REALLY wanted to see how important people (who choose to carry at a golf course) think their gun is, then I propose this rule:

You can carry, HOWEVER, the gun counts towards your total of 14 clubs.  How many of you think that the gun is more important than your hybrid or lob wedge?? :beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

The only way I can see bringing a weapon on the range is as a 15th "club" in my bag ready to pull out next to my PW.

Oh, you just reminded me of something I wanted to post a couple of days ago, but then forgot about.

If we REALLY wanted to see how important people (who choose to carry at a golf course) think their gun is, then I propose this rule:

You can carry, HOWEVER, the gun counts towards your total of 14 clubs.  How many of you think that the gun is more important than your hybrid or lob wedge??

Well, I am sure a gun can be designed to double as putter (short range) or driver (long range, can kill an elephant that is loitering in and around fairway).   Or, a club can be designed to hide a gun.  That way, a charging drunk can be easily disposed of.  Hell, how about a golf ball that can dual as explosive.   ....  Did I just create a whole industry?    All in fun folks.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well, I am sure a gun can be designed to double as putter (short range) or driver (long range, can kill an elephant that is loitering in and around fairway).   Or, a club can be designed to hide a gun.  That way, a charging drunk can be easily disposed of.  Hell, how about a golf ball that can dual as explosive.   ....  Did I just create a whole industry?    All in fun folks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ar-15-golf-ball-launcher?a=502765

http://armedforcessupply.com/inertdummygolfballgrenade.aspx

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

LOL, Lihu.  Thanks for the post.   There goes my new business venture idea.  I am too late!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Not sure I'd rely on that ... if they have more cases, they won't be as eager to pay to defend you.

But good luck with it.

And if you want to carry, carry. But making an issue of it, or bringing it to our attention, begs the question of whether you should carry. Perhaps more education is needed. Good luck.

What I'll rely on is my common sense and ability to assess a situation properly. If I have to pull a gun, I'll be no more worried about legal ramifications at that moment than I will be about who's going to win next year's NCAA basketball tournament. It'll be what I perceive as a life-or-death situation in which I have no other option.

Look, ordinary people use firearms to protect themselves from criminals all the time, and sometimes the criminals end up dead. Why do you think there aren't a bunch of stories about the prosecution of those people in the news? It's because the vast majority of the cases never make it to court. Even in the leftist strongholds that some of you people live in, the DA's know such cases will be extremely difficult to win unless the actions of the person defending himself were egregious. No matter where you are in this country, and much unlike some other countries, a high percentage of the constituency firmly believes that people have a right to protect themselves with deadly force, if it comes to that. In counties like the one I live in, such a prosecution could get a DA thrown out of office real quick.

And make no mistake, no overburdened DA wants his or her underlings squaring off with the high-priced mouthpieces the gun lobby is capable of trotting out if it believes somebody is being unfairly prosecuted. If the case has even the hint of a hole in it, the ADA would get eaten for lunch. Also, the NRA has the resources to become involved in such cases whenever or wherever it wants. It's never an issue of, "Well, we just can't afford it." The organization's goal is protecting Second Amendment rights and it'll go to extreme lengths to do it.

John

As a 16-year Law Enforcement veteran - one that actively trains and practices with issued AND off-duty weapons, my chances of hitting my target(s) has been proven and shown to only be approximately 25% of the time when under true distress, active gunfighting, or when I do not have "the jump." That's for me... someone who fires pounds of lead down-range every month just to stay sharp; someone who worked crime scenes invloving officer-invloved shootings for nine years... 15 rounds of "Good Guy" lead fired, two or three make impact, one may do real damage. What do you think YOUR chances are... AFTER you dig your handgun out of your Ogio and get your fine motor skills and shaking fingers and rapid breathing in check enought to simply take the safety off. You think that 3 footer you stood over to win that $5 was tough? Hurry up now. Get on target. Front sight, front sight front sight! That yelling guy is getting closer with his 7-iron. I say this as a fan of CCWs. I carry pretty much 24/7 off-duty. On the golf course? Sure. Is it in my bag? Ummm.... why would it be in my bag? I am not in my bag. It's on my person - the small of my back, not in the way of my swing but also not visible to playing partners (My regular group knows I carry.). I felt compelled to Reply to this thread because their seems to be a BUNCH of bravado and "if it was me..." going on. All of you that practiced and trained with your weapon to attain that CCW from that $90 class you took one Saturday afternoon... when is the last time you fired it? Cleaned it? Exactly. Do yourself a favor - go shoot, then go shoot more, and then a little more. If not, then leave it in the house under lock and key until you know how to use it. Why do I carry on the golf course? One, because I can... void of alcohol consumption; Two, because that guy I arrested last week for his third DWI in three years might decide to come play today; Three, because that drunk guy with a 7-iron might be wearing you out while you fumble at the 36 YKKs on your cart bag where you stashed that dusty/rusty yet "trusty" Ruger P89 with a rattle. Just beyond the drunk or not drunk or who knows at this point guy "yelling" and "charging at you" is a child in the backyard adjacent to the fairway; there's an innocent bystander teeing off two holes away, there's the worker trimming branches just inside the woodline. Oh but you looked and checked for all that right? Sure you did. Guns are great. I love guns. They serve their purpose for varied reasons - sport, protection, collection. However, in the hands of the wrong CCW carrying tough guy or, let's be honest - chicken little, they are as useless as a football bat and do more harm than good. Don't be the one that gets shot with his own gun because he was too scared to do anymore than just point it. Feared for your life, huh? Works both ways, bud.
  • Upvote 3

As a 16-year Law Enforcement veteran - one that actively trains and practices with issued AND off-duty weapons, my chances of hitting my target(s) has been proven and shown to only be approximately 25% of the time when under true distress, active gunfighting, or when I do not have "the jump." That's for me... someone who fires pounds of lead down-range every month just to stay sharp; someone who worked crime scenes invloving officer-invloved shootings for nine years... 15 rounds of "Good Guy" lead fired, two or three make impact, one may do real damage. What do you think YOUR chances are... AFTER you dig your handgun out of your Ogio and get your fine motor skills and shaking fingers and rapid breathing in check enought to simply take the safety off. You think that 3 footer you stood over to win that $5 was tough? Hurry up now. Get on target. Front sight, front sight front sight! That yelling guy is getting closer with his 7-iron.

I say this as a fan of CCWs. I carry pretty much 24/7 off-duty. On the golf course? Sure. Is it in my bag? Ummm.... why would it be in my bag? I am not in my bag. It's on my person - the small of my back, not in the way of my swing but also not visible to playing partners (My regular group knows I carry.). I felt compelled to Reply to this thread because their seems to be a BUNCH of bravado and "if it was me..." going on. All of you that practiced and trained with your weapon to attain that CCW from that $90 class you took one Saturday afternoon... when is the last time you fired it? Cleaned it? Exactly. Do yourself a favor - go shoot, then go shoot more, and then a little more. If not, then leave it in the house under lock and key until you know how to use it. Why do I carry on the golf course? One, because I can... void of alcohol consumption; Two, because that guy I arrested last week for his third DWI in three years might decide to come play today; Three, because that drunk guy with a 7-iron might be wearing you out while you fumble at the 36 YKKs on your cart bag where you stashed that dusty/rusty yet "trusty" Ruger P89 with a rattle.

Just beyond the drunk or not drunk or who knows at this point guy "yelling" and "charging at you" is a child in the backyard adjacent to the fairway; there's an innocent bystander teeing off two holes away, there's the worker trimming branches just inside the woodline. Oh but you looked and checked for all that right? Sure you did.

Guns are great. I love guns. They serve their purpose for varied reasons - sport, protection, collection. However, in the hands of the wrong CCW carrying tough guy or, let's be honest - chicken little, they are as useless as a football bat and do more harm than good. Don't be the one that gets shot with his own gun because he was too scared to do anymore than just point it. Feared for your life, huh? Works both ways, bud.

Agree with most of what you said and thanks for saying it. I need a life-threatening reason and a clear background. It has to be both urgent and important to disregard the clear  background! I think people need to be taught the NRA safety course in school along with a course on ballistics. If they can justify "planned" parenthood they can justify personal firearm safety.

Patrick

MGS Fan

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!