IGNORED

My Golf Club Closed Without Warning =(

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sucks! My favorite course closed 2 years ago. It was poorly maintained but a really fun layout. Greens fees were dirt cheap and it was never crowded. They closed it for renovations but it still hasn't reopened and doesn't look like it will anytime soon. I think the project ran out of steam and nothing's been done on it for quite a while.

Same deal with course m parents lived at. Management just ran it into the ground. Did not market effectively to the large popular resort that was just across the lake, in fact the manager actively antagonized the resort manager. Didn't get enough events to come out, events that had gone there for years stopped coming. He didn't care because they weren't "golfers". He kept going off to low level competitive events on the weekends instead of running the business. His buddies kept coming and playing for free. Low revenues fed shortcuts on maintenance that then started a death spiral of disappointing golfers not coming back. There was a Google review where someone stated that it was as if they were trying to win a contest for the worst golf course ever. Regardless, the retirees in the community kept on using it as the center of their social day, playing along on terrible greens. Then one day the place was empty and all of those invoices vendors hoped would be payed were certainly not going to be. I suppose the manager trying to sell "lifetime" memberships for cash was a pretty good indicator.

Sad, the course has good bones and if it was effectively managed and marketed it could have been a good little lifestyle business for a owner. To expensive to fix now that it's been 3 years gone. It was a 26,000 round a year course at it's best and was never going to make anyone rich, but it could have done OK if run correctly. Oh well.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Another one bites the dust.

http://wdtn.com/2014/12/18/piqua-country-club-to-close-in-2015/

Right, I've seen that one from the highway. A Donald Ross course if I'm not mistaken. Looking at the pictures, it would be a roaring shame if it's allowed to go forever.

Looks like it is all the private clubs are going down, or at least ones that tend to make their money off of memberships.

In the end, I would try to do some sort of semi-private golf course to try to bring people back in.

Honestly I think it might be better for the business if there is a bit of consolidation. I don't want to see golf courses close, but with the way the game has been decreasing it is impossible for all these courses to stay open.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I wonder if you polled the wealthier golf-playing population of Miami County (where this particular course is located), if they'd prefer to keep Troy CC or Piqua CC.

Well, either way this ought to help my hometown guys.

I wonder if you polled the wealthier golf-playing population of Miami County (where this particular course is located), if they'd prefer to keep Troy CC or Piqua CC.

Well, either way this ought to help my hometown guys.

I wasn't impressed with Troy CC. Priced like a CC, but conditions were no better than an upper tier public. Troy is a bigger town, therefore more potential customers. Dayton simply has too many private courses for them to all survive with nicer public courses open now (Yankee, Heatherwood, Beavercreek, etc).

The latest rumor on Greene CC / Gem City is that they were not able to close a deal with the potential buyer. Not looking good.

- Shane

@CarlSpackler , did you ever play Piqua CC? Also, I heard that Meadowdale CC was gifted to Clayton and the city will run it. Not too surprised with that after they opened it up for public tee times this year. At least the course should stay open long enough for me to play it.

Sorry about the lack of movement on GCC. Fairborn is really struggling these days. Hard to see anyone breaking even there.

@CarlSpackler, did you ever play Piqua CC? Also, I heard that Meadowdale CC was gifted to Clayton and the city will run it. Not too surprised with that after they opened it up for public tee times this year. At least the course should stay open long enough for me to play it.

Sorry about the lack of movement on GCC. Fairborn is really struggling these days. Hard to see anyone breaking even there.

That's OK. I wouldn't rejoin even if they did reopen. So many people got ****ed in that deal that nobody would want to get taken again.

I haven't played Piqua CC. Did you mean Meadowbrook? I have played that one before. Very nice. I think Moraine CC is the only other one in town that I haven't played yet. After the gig we played at Dayton CC last Friday, they really liked us and want us to come back in the summer and play out by the pool area. I'm thinking set up, play 9, then hit the stage.

- Shane

That's OK. I wouldn't rejoin even if they did reopen. So many people got ****ed in that deal that nobody would want to get taken again.

I haven't played Piqua CC. Did you mean Meadowbrook? I have played that one before. Very nice. I think Moraine CC is the only other one in town that I haven't played yet. After the gig we played at Dayton CC last Friday, they really liked us and want us to come back in the summer and play out by the pool area. I'm thinking set up, play 9, then hit the stage.

Yeah Meadowbrook. I think I got the high school mixed up there.

Investing in a golf course either new or existing is a very poor business decision right now in america, Buying one for pennies on the dollar is a different story, renovations to courses with sweat equity or your own man power can work. Thank god most course owners have other business ventures ( read a ton of $$$) or else there would be many more closing or fire sales.

In New England i don't know of one 18 hole course that has opened in the past 3 years, most new ones were all built in the mid to late 90s- way before this golf downturn was discussed.

Most clubs today in the public and semi private are treading water and are in survival mode, not all but much more than you think.

OK - three pages and no one even thinks to suggest that he tries taking a weaker grip?

:-)

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Did anyone else see this thread title and think "That would result in a pull-draw, right?"

I did, too.

Golf courses closing is no news.   Still, I hope they don't go the route of bowling alleys.   Only one of 3 bowling alleys that I used to go still remain open.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Did anyone else see this thread title and think "That would result in a pull-draw, right?"

I thought I viewed all the comments and missed this one - and it was right up just a few posts too.

my bad

credit to Hardspoon

Bill - 

I did, too.

Golf courses closing is no news.   Still, I hope they don't go the route of bowling alleys.   Only one of 3 bowling alleys that I used to go still remain open.

One of our few is right down the street from the office. The lot is a freaking jam every night when I'm trying to go home.

Wonder what all this will do to my precious elbow room at courses I play.

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!