IGNORED

LSW/Shot Zone Question

Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes you are. Read the rest of the book. You're costing yourself shots by not doing so now. Section three discusses the game you have NOW. The book doesn't "build" to that section.

I just finished "reading" the book. There's so much information, most of which I don't really understand except in a literal regurgitation manner. It will probably take more than a year for me to implement even a fraction of the stuff.

In any case, I will practice as much of it that I comprehend at this point, and work on my swing more to remove the unwanted "features".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just finished "reading" the book. There's so much information, most of which I don't really understand except in a literal regurgitation manner. It will probably take more than a year for me to implement even a fraction of the stuff.

In any case, I will practice as much of it that I comprehend at this point, and work on my swing more to remove the unwanted "features".

Obviously, the practice plans are there, but you can GamePlan and shoot better scores right away. It really changed the way I look at the course.

I'm changing my pattern, so my Shot Zones are all messed up, but I can still apply the other stuff to help me pick better targets.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Obviously, the practice plans are there, but you can GamePlan and shoot better scores right away. It really changed the way I look at the course.

I'm changing my pattern, so my Shot Zones are all messed up, but I can still apply the other stuff to help me pick better targets.

Roughly speaking, yes. I am planning on implementing the concepts that I think I can take advantage.

Remember that I am relatively new to golf, so many of these concepts are new to me and it takes time for them to sink in. Otherwise, I would have so many things to think about simultaneously that it makes it difficult to keep things together. I'll get it eventually, but there is a heck of a lot of information to digest.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Roughly speaking, yes. I am planning on implementing the concepts that I think I can take advantage.

Remember that I am relatively new to golf, so many of these concepts are new to me and it takes time for them to sink in. Otherwise, I would have so many things to think about simultaneously that it makes it difficult to keep things together. I'll get it eventually, but there is a heck of a lot of information to digest.

Take them one at a time.  Example:  My worst club is the driver.  I have been working on it most of the year exclusively in my Evolvr lessons.  For my shot zones, I have only worked on the driver shot zone so far.

There is a lot of information, but if you break it down to your highest priority piece, you can simplify the work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Take them one at a time.  Example:  My worst club is the driver.  I have been working on it most of the year exclusively in my Evolvr lessons.  For my shot zones, I have only worked on the driver shot zone so far.   There is a lot of information, but if you break it down to your highest priority piece, you can simplify the work.

Driver seems like a good place for me to start as well. Maybe wedges too. Plus, the driver is the most important club on most par 4/5.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This hole is killing me.  It is a long par 4 (410) with significant elevation change from the tee to the 150 mark, about 40 feet.  My driver shot zone is shown (it may be a bit bigger).  The OB on the right has a net that protects the road way.  Analyzing, I see that I should use driver because the rough on the left side of the fairway is fairly light, so grey or light grey.  My problem is mental. I have hooked the tee shot left into the other fairway the last three rounds on this hole.  I aim at the 150 flag because my shot zone is ~10 yard left and should draw away from the OB.  The flag is close to the "0" in "230".  What can I do to mentally block out the OB?

I could go with 3 or 4W, but that could leave me 180 - 200 yards back if I don't get any roll.

Scott

My Swing Thread

This hole is killing me.  It is a long par 4 (410) with significant elevation change from the tee to the 150 mark, about 40 feet.  My driver shot zone is shown (it may be a bit bigger).  The OB on the right has a net that protects the road way.  Analyzing, I see that I should use driver because the rough on the left side of the fairway is fairly light, so grey or light grey.  My problem is mental. I have hooked the tee shot left into the other fairway the last three rounds on this hole.  I aim at the 150 flag because my shot zone is ~10 yard left and should draw away from the OB.  The flag is close to the "0" in "230".  What can I do to mentally block out the OB?

I could go with 3 or 4W, but that could leave me 180 - 200 yards back if I don't get any roll.

Shouldn't your shot zone be 20 yards away from OB because it basically plays as a two stroke penalty because of stroke and distance. Your Shot Zone looks to be about 10 yards away.

I know the hook is a bad shot, but is it a bad result to be in the other fairway? Unless they put white stakes down for in course OB, that isn't a bad place to be in.

A similar example for me would be Hole #16 at Community in Dayton. Par 5, OB down the right side with a cart path right near the OB.

For me, I aim right down the left side of those trees. For me, my length can get me past the big one closer to the tee box. A 3-wood would just put me further back. That side is pretty light rough. The red line is my OB line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have a similar hole at my club large bunker about 50-60 yards from the green smack in the middle of the fairway. I don't practice this shot very often but my 75-90 pitch-flop I okay with so I usually lay up. Sometimes I will even lay up to 100-125 yards as that is my comfort layup and I'm automatic from there to hit the green

I agree with Matt.  If the rough is fairly light, and it looks like there isn't a tree in sight, why not push the center of your shot zone about 10-15 yards left.  Heck, if it was me, the center of my shot zone would be the centerline of the rough.  I would consider my 'fairway' from OB to the driving range. :beer:

If you're like me, the hooks are mental because you're aware of that OB left.  Start aiming further left and you'll worry less about missing right, and consequently you might see a drop in hooks.  (You'll confuse your subconscience, because it's not going to know which OB to try and avoid. ;))

Thanks guys.  I will try that in two weeks when I come back to this hole.  The other fairway leaves me a long second shot 200+, but it is safe.  Twice I have used a fairway wood to go to the left of the green and a nGIR.  No up and downs yet.  I would just like to get in the fairway once.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Thanks guys.  I will try that in two weeks when I come back to this hole.  The other fairway leaves me a long second shot 200+, but it is safe.  Twice I have used a fairway wood to go to the left of the green and a nGIR.  No up and downs yet.  I would just like to get in the fairway once.

Well hopefully by aiming a tad more right you wont hook as much. You might find yourself just in the rough or the left side of the fairway more often. It looks to be a tough long par 4. Bogey might be better than taking a double or worse with OB. In perspective sometimes Bogeys play as a par when considering how tough a hole can play.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I agree with Matt.  If the rough is fairly light, and it looks like there isn't a tree in sight, why not push the center of your shot zone about 10-15 yards left.  Heck, if it was me, the center of my shot zone would be the centerline of the rough.  I would consider my 'fairway' from OB to the driving range.

If you're like me, the hooks are mental because you're aware of that OB left.  Start aiming further left and you'll worry less about missing right, and consequently you might see a drop in hooks.  (You'll confuse your subconscience, because it's not going to know which OB to try and avoid. ;))

I would agree with this and would take a similar approach but probably not as far as the centerline of the rough, probably in between the left rough and middle of the fairway.  Hit it straight or with a little draw and you are on the left side of the fairway.  Push it and you are on the right side of the fairway.  Pull or hook and you are safe with a good opportunity to still make par.  Hit a bad push or banana slice you are OB but should probably be penalized anyways. ;-)

There appears to be no trouble on the left outside of the rough or another fairway.  You are leaving yourself more club in when you go left over there; however, there appears to be plenty of room between the water and green to run a longer iron up there.  If the hole is your nemesis, then giving yourself an opportunity at par every time should be your goal in my opinion.  Targeting the left side should do that.

My Sticks - Titleist 913D3 9.5* , 913F 3W 15*, 913H 21* & 24*, Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW w/ DG S300, Vokey SM5 52* & 56* & 60* Wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura X

• Administrator
I have a similar hole at my club large bunker about 50-60 yards from the green smack in the middle of the fairway. I don't practice this shot very often but my 75-90 pitch-flop I okay with so I usually lay up. Sometimes I will even lay up to 100-125 yards as that is my comfort layup and I'm automatic from there to hit the green

Have you bought the book? (I don't see it in your signature area, but not everyone who has ordered has let me know to add that to their accounts here…)

You're probably not automatic from 100-125 to hit the green, unless we define "automatic" differently. :-)

And yes, Scott, aim way left. It's a tough hole. Get your nGIR and make your 4.5.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have you bought the book? (I don't see it in your signature area, but not everyone who has ordered has let me know to add that to their accounts here…)

You're probably not automatic from 100-125 to hit the green, unless we define "automatic" differently.

And if you have the book, read, and then re-read the part about honestly judging your own game.  To me, automatic would mean something like, at worst, 8 out of 10 balls are on the green from that distance.  I'm now a 6, and I would say it's a safe bet that I'm not even 50% from that distance to hit the green.

I thought we had to order during the supporter? time period?  If not, I would like a LSW badge... :-D

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I thought we had to order during the supporter? time period?  If not, I would like a LSW badge...

Ditto :-)

I read the book and finally played my first round today since digesting it. It's also my first round in about a month, but I've been to the range working on all of the guidance from Evolvr earlier in the year (had to take a break for a bit due to personal reasons).  The combination of Evolvr and the book have definitely changed my game. If I can play more regularly the rest of the summer, I'm hoping to really see scores drop.

Today, I felt like I didn't play as well as I should have, but my score was an 84- very respectable for my game so far this year. I used to use driver sparingly on this course and I used to lay up far too often on par 5's to a "comfortable" distance. Today, I was approaching greens with shorter irons from the rough more often by being more aggressive on the tees where there was room to recover, whereas I used to be hitting approaches more frequently with long irons.  The idea of shot zones paid off a few times, knowing that my miss is usually short right, so that allowed me to avoid any true blow up holes. I had two double-bogeys that were bone-headed, but that was all on me. If I can shoot 84 on one of the toughest courses in my rotation (narrowest and toughest rough) while not swinging my absolute best, I'm looking forward to putting it all together on an easier track soon. I think if I play more aggressive, I could shoot a few strokes better than my best on each of those tracks. Time will tell.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!