IGNORED

Rory has no star power

skydog
Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Contrary to what the golf world, Nike, et. al are trying to sell, I honestly don't think Rory has the "It" factor needed to anchor the game and move the needle in the States in the post-Tiger era. The ratings should hopefully at least be decent from yesterday (because that's as good as golf gets in the post Tiger era) but I think Phil and Rickie would be to thank for that as well as the prime-time finish. Like most golf fans, I like Rory, think he's a good guy, and is good for the game, but his charisma and ability to draw people into the game isn't on the same planet as Tiger's and even pales in comparison to Phil's. I don't know if the golf world fully grasps this yet nor do I think they fully appreciate how much him not being American will cap his popularity here...especially when he's routinely beating popular American guys. I think the best case scenario for golf over the next decade is for a rivalry to continue to build between Rory and the likes of Rickie and/or Spieth, etc. where Rory plays the villian foil to the American stars because he will never be a true superstar in this country regardless of how many majors he wins (and I think he wins 10+).

I don't really think this is a topic that can truly be debated so I'll just say I couldn't disagree more and leave it at that. Fwiw, I'm not an American.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I strongly disagree. I don't know what your definition of star power is, or why we need it, but I think Rory got everything it takes to become a top golf star. Heck, he already is one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Sports fans like to see history - if Rory keeps winning a major every year, fans will tune in regardless of what country he is from - golf is unique in that regard.  He will never have the incremental effect that Tiger had on the game, but athletes like Tiger only come along once in a generation because you have to have a unique set of right place/right time circumstances.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I strongly disagree. I don't know what your definition of star power is, or why we need it, but I think Rory got everything it takes to become a top golf star. Heck, he already is one.

Why we need it? Have you seen the golf ratings and decline in the game recently?

Is he a star in the golf world? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he will be a star in this country's sports scene- measured by his ability to draw viewers and interest in the game from casual sports fans. If Rory had been gunning it out on the back nine with Stenson and Day yesterday (no Phil or Rickie), do you really think the ratings would be good?

Why we need it? Have you seen the golf ratings and decline in the game recently?

Is he a star in the golf world? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he will be a star in this country's sports scene- measured by his ability to draw viewers and interest in the game from casual sports fans. If Rory had been gunning it out on the back nine with Stenson and Day yesterday (no Phil or Rickie), do you really think the ratings would be good?

The "decline of golf" talk that has been going on lately is nonsense.  Yes, golf may have been at a peak during the last 15 years (thanks wholly to Tiger's impact) and the sport may be finding it's level, but this is the same line of thinking that gets governments in financial trouble when the stock market hits a peak and then they make 20-30 year projections based no maintaining the same level we see in peak years.  It's simply not feasible.

That being said, there is a lot going on in golf around the world, especially China.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

So in your opinion being American is a prerequisite to Star Power? Egocentric US horseshit.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I too agree it's too premature to start looking to Rory to make history.   The media just keeps hammering him with comparisons to this guy or that guy.   I really like Rory and think he's a breath of fresh air from Tiger, but he's only one bad relationship, swing thought or injury from being simply a 4 time major winner(yes, I know that's still huge).

What struck home for me was when I heard them compare his wins to Harrington's.   He was on fire for a couple of years then basically went away.   Sergio was thought to be a next great at one time and that never came to be.  Granted, Rory has been on fire, but can he sustain it for a decade like Tiger did?   Only time will tell.  There's a lot of really good competition out there.

So in your opinion being American is a prerequisite to Star Power? Egocentric US horseshit.

Calm down, huckleberry. First off, I was referring to being a superstar in this country .  He's already a superstar in the UK and Europe. And is it a prereq for being a star in this country? No, but it helps, Greg Norman is probably the closest thing we've seen to an international golf superstar in this country but he had wild charisma and an aggressive (reckless, risky) and entertaining style of play.

I very strongly disagree just based on personal experiences talking to very casual and even non-golf fans.

I'd agree that he probably won't ever reach Tiger Woods star power. But he can certainly reach and surpass Phil star power.

The problem with Rory is that he's constantly compared to Tiger. No one is like Tiger. Rory is his own, "star in the sunset...."

LOL

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Nike has the power to make him a 'star'. If he continues winning multiple majors etc then Rory's branding will go through the roof.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Calm down, huckleberry. First off, I was referring to being a superstar in this country .  He's already a superstar in the UK and Europe. And is it a prereq for being a star in this country? No, but it helps, Greg Norman is probably the closest thing we've seen to an international golf superstar in this country but he had wild charisma and an aggressive (reckless, risky) and entertaining style of play.

I have a world view and you have a homer view and I'm the huckleberry? Lol. Ok Bubba. The ironing is delicious.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

If you're comparing Rory to what Tiger did, you may (and I would begrudgingly admit that) have a point that Rory won't 'move the needle' like Tiger did. But then again, who would?

Aside from that, people embrace winners. And Rory now has a chance to be the next dominant player. Heck, 4 Majors by the age of 25 would say he already has.

But to try to compare him to the monolithic standard that Tiger set is, I think, very unfair to him.

If Shining Star at Sunset remains consistent, he will have huge star power. Yes, it would help if he was a US Citizen as to his star power. But let's look at the past -- if Sergio had won consistently with a quad-full of majors, he'd be a bigger star. Of course, Sergio has a different type of charisma but Rors has his own brand and it is still evolving.

I noticed more confidence and Tiger-like aura in Rory this week, plus he says the right things and he looks physically bigger lately. If he continues his dominance, his star power will grow.

I think the only factor that will hold back Rory is Rory ... whether it's ego or a new girlfriend ... it's about his attitude and choices.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have a world view and you have a homer view and I'm the huckleberry? Lol. Ok Bubba. The ironing is delicious.

Jesus dude, canadian inferiority comlex much? Once again, I can discuss popularity in this country and star power in this country without it being a "homer view". This is not a knock on Rory's international position at all, and like I said, he's already an international superstar.

And this isn't about Rory not being able to fill Tiger's shoes- no one can do that and it's unfair to measure anyone by that standard.

I also vehemently disagree!  Over here in the UK people are lapping up everything that is Rory and I dont see it halting, well until the Olympics maybe.  I asked about 10 guys from work if they watched the golf in the weekend and three of us stayed up until 2am (separate households and independently) to watch the round specifically because of him.

All of this winning tournaments must be cause of those crappie Nike clubs he uses...

I love when Rory was down and not winning everyone blamed the clubs... so now that he's winning is it cause of his clubs?

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

Seems I remember the guy who holds the record of Major wins being called 'Fat Jack' and 'Ohio Fats' early in his career, had a high squeaky voice & an almost Hogan-like cocoon around him when he played. And was trying to unseat the most popular player in the game. Talk about no star power.

How did that work out?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!