IGNORED

Rory has no star power

skydog
Note:Β This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have no idea who you're watching, Rory is incredibly exciting to watch.

In fact how is DJ any more exciting? Is it just because he's American? That dude has the most god-awful boring attire/interviews/celebrations. Is it just because he hits the long ball? Because oh yeah, Rory is constantly well over 310 yards average driving. Oh and he has great candid interviews, albiet Phil's are the best, Rickie is quite boring behind the mic. Did you see Rickie's interview during the rain delay? Someone was throwing cookies at him, oh yeah, that was Rory...because Rickie was being BORING.

You've got an opinion and I've got one, my opinion is that you're just a hater for anyone not american. That's lame but oh well.

Rory has more charisma than Rickie and DJ put together, Rickie just happens to look cool in wild clothing.

I don't think Rory is "incredibly exciting to watch".Β  Sorry.Β  Like you said, my opinion.Β  No, I am not a hater for anyone not American - though I made my point, I would RATHER see an American win.Β  Part of that is also because we look absolutely pathetic right now vs the rest of the world.Β  I am a big Lee Westwood fan, I like Ian Poulter and Justin Rose as well, and would have gladly taken a win from either of them over Rory.Β  So don't call me lame, and don't presume that I just simply hate any non American player.Β  I like Dustin yes, for the fact that he mashes the ball, with a very unique swing, am I not allowed to think a big hitter like him is exciting to watch?Β  I couldn't care any less how good or bad they are on the mic... this isn't the WWE.Β  Rickie's interview during the rain delay again who gives a rats ass... I didn't even watch the rain delay.Β  I don't tune in to see these guys talk, I tune in to watch them play golf.Β  I give Rory's talent all the credit in the world - but him running away with majors doesn't make me want to watch the same way Phil being down by 3 entering the final round and dropping a couple of early birdies does.Β  I did the same thing a few years ago when Louis ran away with The Open - turned it off.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AWΒ Irons,Β Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-StarΒ Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017: Β 82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

First off, I have no dog in the Nike race because I really dislike there clubs, but you're kidding yourself if you think Rory is a bigger seller of Nike products than Tiger. You think those thousands of fans who swarmed him on the practice round at Valhalla thought he was going to hit it straight or cared what he scored?? Nope, Tiger has farΒ eclipsed the needing to play well to sell stuff phase. Think Elvis in the 70s.

And as for your purported racist golf fans- there are going to be a fewΒ ignorant idiots in any large groupΒ anywhere but claiming that any more than a very small minority of middle aged white golf fans have a problem with Tiger because of his ethnicity is just wrong, IMO.Β  It's akin to the media's- "if you don't like the president you must be a racist" card...it's possible some ofΒ us justΒ don't like him for real, non-prejudicial reasons.

You know something, everybody gives that 'I hate Nike clubs' spiel, probably because of that awful Susquatch thing that Tiger shilled half-a-dozen years ago. But I tried a VRX the other day and liked it - if I hadn't a trusty Titleist in my bag, I'd think seriously of giving one a trial fitting. It went miles.

If you think that Tiger Woods has created any market share for Nike worldwide this year, you are crazy. Tiger is finished as a Nike player. F.I.N.I.S.H.E.D. I guarantee you that Nike will be talking to Fowler and looking at their budget and thinking hmmmm....we can get him. We'll dump the old guy.

As far as the racist comments go, I go with what I saw at Augusta. And if it's thought of at a tournament as conservative as Augusta, I'll back it in it's more prevalent elsewhere.

As for Obama, he's just useless.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I like Rory a lot and think he's GREAT for the game on a number of levels (most of which has already been noted on this thread). As far as star power goes, from my perspective the answer is yes...why, pretty siimple, when my 14 year old daughter (who could absolutley care less about golf) comes home from soccer practice and asks me "is Rory winning, I hope he wins because I really like him" then the kids got something going for him beyond just what traditional golf fans appreciate (side note, she also feels the same way about Spieith and, to a lesser extent, Fowler). Can he sustain it, depends on whether he keeps winning really. Will he surpass Tiger in terms of star power, worldwide maybe (again if he keeps winning) but probably not in the States since I do believe there is someting to the argument that Americans like to see Americans win.

I don't know people in Europe who buy Jordans. In fact, I don't know many people who buy Nike shoes, frankly, apart from some of the retro sneakers like Renzo's. Tiger Woods is dead as a brand, and if Nike could get Fowler they would drop Tiger like a fart in a jet. He's a ****ed 38 year old father who is going nowhere quick. His biggest sponsorship deal outside of Nike is MusclePharm. Think about it. Derek Jeter is a legend, a cool guy, am honest white working-class hero. He has has as much in common with Tiger Woods as I do.

"Tiger Woods has no brand" Hahahah :dance: that is hilarious. I'm done having this conversation. You're dislike for Tiger is overshadowing your argument. And that is because basketball in Europe isn't even close to as popular as it is in America.

Riley

I pretty much only watch a PGA event if Rory McIlroy is playing in it...

Not sure if you are joking, but that's the way it's headed.

Watching Tiger is like watching a rerun with all the good bits replaced by crap. Sad.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

I don't think Rory is "incredibly exciting to watch".Β  Sorry.Β  Like you said, my opinion.Β  No, I am not a hater for anyone not American - though I made my point, I would RATHER see an American win.Β  Part of that is also because we look absolutely pathetic right now vs the rest of the world.Β  I am a big Lee Westwood fan, I like Ian Poulter and Justin Rose as well, and would have gladly taken a win from either of them over Rory.Β  So don't call me lame, and don't presume that I just simply hate any non American player.Β  I like Dustin yes, for the fact that he mashes the ball, with a very unique swing, am I not allowed to think a big hitter like him is exciting to watch?Β  I couldn't care any less how good or bad they are on the mic... this isn't the WWE.Β  Rickie's interview during the rain delay again who gives a rats ass... I didn't even watch the rain delay.Β  I don't tune in to see these guys talk, I tune in to watch them play golf.Β  I give Rory's talent all the credit in the world - but him running away with majors doesn't make me want to watch the same way Phil being down by 3 entering the final round and dropping a couple of early birdies does.Β  I did the same thing a few years ago when Louis ran away with The Open - turned it off.

Dude, you talk about mashing it and DJ.

If you can't get fired up by McIlroy's 2nd to the 18th at the Honda

Or the 10th at Congressional

or the 10th and 17th at Valhalla last week, then you is dead, brother. Check your pulse.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

"Tiger Woods has no brand" Hahahah that is hilarious. I'm done having this conversation. You're dislike for Tiger is overshadowing your argument. And that is because basketball in Europe isn't even close to as popular as it is in America.

He has no brand over here - I don't see Nike TW shirts on sale here any more and I don't see kids wanting to be Tiger Woods. They want to be Rory McIlroy or Ricky Fowler.

He's gone.

We have basketball by the way, it's pretty big in mainland Europe.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I don't know people in Europe who buy Jordans. In fact, I don't know many people who buy Nike shoes, frankly, apart from some of the retro sneakers like Renzo's. Tiger Woods is dead as a brand, and if Nike could get Fowler they would drop Tiger like a fart in a jet. He's a ****ed 38 year old father who is going nowhere quick. His biggest sponsorship deal outside of Nike is MusclePharm. Think about it. Derek Jeter is a legend, a cool guy, am honest white working-class hero. He has has as much in common with Tiger Woods as I do.

Did you just call Jetes a white, working class hero? I guess you can be forgiven being from the UK but Jetes ain't white bro. Hero? Definitely.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you just call Jetes a white, working class hero? I guess you can be forgiven being from the UK but Jetes ain't white bro. Hero? Definitely.

Meant he's a hero to white working class New York fans - we do get baseball here on ESPN (watched a bit of it this year, like the look of Oakland - but hear they fade as the season goes on).

The problem is that some here think that world golf and world golf sales are all about America. It just isn't. You will be hard pressed to find Nike products in stores right now that are not pushing McIlroy over Woods. And Woods will only remain relevant as a brand as long as he is competitive and winning.

He's so far from that. What you are and what you were are two different things.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Meant he's a hero to white working class New York fans - we do get baseball here on ESPN (watched a bit of it this year, like the look of Oakland - but hear they fade as the season goes on). The problem is that some here think that world golf and world golf sales are all about America. It just isn't. You will be hard pressed to find Nike products in stores right now that are not pushing McIlroy over Woods. And Woods will only remain relevant as a brand as long as he is competitive and winning. He's so far from that. What you are and what you were are two different things.

Oakland is a small budget, scrappy team that always falls short. Like Everton. I speak as an Everton fan. :-( ----------- Of course they are pushing Rory over Tiger. Rory is much better right now. Doesn't mean Tiger has NO branding potential AT ALL.

Riley

If you build a brand like Tiger, Jordan, and Arnie have, it does not matter at all if you're still winning/competing. Jordan and Arnie continue to be some of the highest grossing "athletes" in the world.

• Upvote 1

Come back to me in 24 months.

Ricky Fowler will be wearing Nike.

McIlroy will have renegotiated his Nike deal.

Tiger Woods will be building courses in China.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Come back to me in 24 months. Ricky Fowler will be wearing Nike. McIlroy will have renegotiated his Nike deal. Tiger Woods will be building courses in China.

Book Marked. August 12, 2016.

Riley

I think Rory is incredibly exciting to watch! There's nobody else out there right now that can repeatedly run away from the field. It's his ability to do that, in mind, that gives him the potential to someday be in the same class as tiger, jack, hogan, etc. As far as being European , we Americans assimilate those we like. A few more wins and Rory is American, lol.

Seems I remember the guy who holds the record of Major wins being called 'Fat Jack' and 'Ohio Fats' early in his career, had a high squeaky voice & an almost Hogan-like cocoon around him when he played. And was trying to unseat the most popular player in the game. Talk about no star power.

How did that work out?

well, Arnie STILL outearns and is more popular than Jack, so...

Meant he's a hero to white working class New York fans - we do get baseball here on ESPN (watched a bit of it this year, like the look of Oakland - but hear they fade as the season goes on).

The problem is that some here think that world golf and world golf sales are all about America. It just isn't. You will be hard pressed to find Nike products in stores right now that are not pushing McIlroy over Woods. And Woods will only remain relevant as a brand as long as he is competitive and winning.

He's so far from that. What you are and what you were are two different things.

Nike would be moronic to not push the guy from the UK that's dominating the golf world. Go to anywhere else, and it's still pretty much Tiger. It'll be interesting to see if Rory can ascend, but it's still not even close and won't be for a while.

Tiger changed golf like Lawrence Taylor changed linebacking, like Jordan changed basketball. Look at how buff Rory is and Fowler is trying to get, that's b/c of Tiger. Rory can't be bigger than Tiger b/c he's using Tiger as a model. The original will always be more interesting than the copycat. Know who Alan Bean is? No, how about Neil Armstrong - both did the same thing.

Note:Β This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!