IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

Had a similar thing happen once. Warm up area is right next to 10th tee and it registered one shot as a tee shot on 10 and it recorded me as playing 19 holes that day. Easily editable once you realize what happened but at first it looked like it only recorded one tee shot all day and nothing else. I was panicked for a second.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A similar thing happened to me today (recorded 20 holes). I'm curious how you edited it that you called it easy because the way I did it was time consuming.

All you do is delete the hole that shouldn't be there. For me it takes about 15 mins to go over a round. The round I had yesterday had an extra hole also.

All you do is delete the hole that shouldn't be there. For me it takes about 15 mins to go over a round. The round I had yesterday had an extra hole also.

Well, what happened to me yesterday was that I went way to the right off the tee on a hole so what the game golf recorded for that hole was that I drove the green (par 4) and then the putts I took on that hole.

It then created another hole w/o a tee shot that recorded my second shot and all the ones I took getting to the green.

So, I was wondering if there was a way to combine the two "holes" or not.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I tried Game Golf for the first time yesterday. I used the app on my iPhone because I don't have the unit. I missed a bunch of tags but fixing them later was mostly fine but that brings me to my gripes / critiques 1) I don't know if it was just me, just a limited time thing or if this is going to be a thing going forward, but their website was unbelievably slow yesterday. Editing my rounds, it alternated between not loading at all in Chrome and the loading but the satellite maps being all black. In IE, the maps loaded but everything was unbearably laggy and choppy. My internet was otherwise really fast and my computer is highly-specced, so I really doubt it was on my end. I tweeted at them, but haven't heard back. Has anyone had this experience? 2) One of the par 3s and one par 5 are listed incorrectly as 4s. I'll email them. Not a big deal 3) On two holes, nothing I do will get my 3-wood tee shots to recognize as having hit the fairway (or missed). I just get a dash where the check or x is meant to be. I'll email them as well, but is this something I can change on my end? Seems like I should be able to toggle whether the fairway, green, bunker was hit. But all I see is I can do it with a slider on putter. Weird. 4) I'm kind of surprised by how dumb they were with flag placements. I sort of figured they'd assume it'd be within a few feet of the last putt (especially the way I was putting, haha). This was only a real gripe because of the fact that the site was so damn laggy that dragging the flag around was an actual issue. Anyway, so far I only have one round of data in there (and a really bad round at that), so I'm excited to see where it goes from here. I do wish I could label shots as chips/punches/risky experimenting/etc. Right now, it's showing my 5i as going about 70 yards because it was my punchout club. I hit way more of those generally than I do full 5i shots generally, so I'm worried about how that'll play. How have people addressed this? I'm thinking of creating a dummy club tag for general recovery shots. In any event, I'm cautiously optimistic about the app. It was a little too buggy where it'd be tough to open from lock sometimes and the interface is a little counterintuitive but otherwise, no issues. Also, stupid problem: I played Sunken Meadow State Park Golf Course. There's a Red, Blue, and Green 9-hole course that you play in some combination for 18 holes. I had to select each one individually. Where this is an issue is that the name is so long that it cuts off after about "St" in State and you're left starting and ending rounds in trial and error trying to find the right 9 holer. That was a pain since two of the 9s start similarly and I couldn't tell which course was which. So that needs rectifying. My Garmin has a smaller screen and still puts the course identifier on a separate line to make it obvious.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator
1) I don't know if it was just me, just a limited time thing or if this is going to be a thing going forward, but their website was unbelievably slow yesterday.

Just you. Never had an issue here.

3) On two holes, nothing I do will get my 3-wood tee shots to recognize as having hit the fairway (or missed). I just get a dash where the check or x is meant to be. I'll email them as well, but is this something I can change on my end? Seems like I should be able to toggle whether the fairway, green, bunker was hit. But all I see is I can do it with a slider on putter. Weird.

I think they might rely solely on the GPS mapping for that.

If that hole was marked as a par three there would be no fairway…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just you. Never had an issue here. I think they might rely solely on the GPS mapping for that. If that hole was marked as a par three there would be no fairway…

Thanks. I'm chalking it up to them having a bunch of people trying out the unit after the thaw this weekend and see at the office later but it was brutal. As for the fairways, these were two different holes than the mislabeled par ones. Both par 4s and the fairway is really clear from the satellite. I'll mention it to them in the email, maybe it's something that they can fix on their end. Whoever marked this 9 for them was pretty sloppy. The other 9 holer was flawless.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Thanks. I'm chalking it up to them having a bunch of people trying out the unit after the thaw this weekend and see at the office later but it was brutal.

As for the fairways, these were two different holes than the mislabeled par ones. Both par 4s and the fairway is really clear from the satellite. I'll mention it to them in the email, maybe it's something that they can fix on their end. Whoever marked this 9 for them was pretty sloppy. The other 9 holer was flawless.

The mapping is iffy at best. I don't really care about FIR stats but what I don't like about GG not being right with regard to fairways is some are really off and it reflects that in the performance off the tee graphs.

Last weekend I played a course with a split fairway on a par 5. The hole has a fairway landing area divided by a deep reedy native area. Kind of stupid hole due to the forced layup, I supposed Rory could hit over the junk to the second half of the fairway but no recreational golfer could. Anyway I hit the tree at the very edge of the fairway with a laser and it was 263 out. The shot that landed about 3 yards left of that tree through the fairway just into the rough about a foot. I assume due to the split fairway GG picked it up as missing the fairway 91 yards off the right edge not one foot through it.

It happens more often than I'd like but I usually don't see it until after a round is signed and only if I remember it as I mouse over the red dots when looking at the off the tee graphs sorted by last round. The few that I have caught would have to be moved significantly for GG to get it right. Like I said don't care about FIR but if it says I missed one 20 yards off right or left edge and it's a couple paces to one side of the black and white in the fairway I can't help but wonder how flawed the GG analysis is. It's the same holes every time and I play those holes similarly every time out, trying to hit it to the same spots. GG says I miss left and right about the same % but I have no idea if that is useful to know because some of it is my mistakes, some GG mistakes and some of those shot intentional because there is no reason to hit the fairway on some holes. Actually smarter to avoid it on some short par 4 's where the fairway is just a silly shape of shorter grass and cutting the corner avoids a hazard and makes the hole much easier to play.

After using it a couple months not sure I will continue to use it.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
The mapping is iffy at best. I don't really care about FIR stats but what I don't like about GG not being right with regard to fairways is some are really off and it reflects that in the performance off the tee graphs.

Email them on egregious ones.

If it's off by a few yards I just move the marker to the location that "gets" the right statistic. It doesn't end up changing distances much if at all.

I've never seen a fairway be off by more than about two yards.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Email them on egregious ones.

If it's off by a few yards I just move the marker to the location that "gets" the right statistic. It doesn't end up changing distances much if at all.

I've never seen a fairway be off by more than about two yards.

I have several times. They are always helpful but they can't get it right on a few holes simply because the irregular hole design and the limitations of GG. At least that's what I was told.

I've had to email them about no mapping for bunkers quite a bit too.

Through 5 or 6 rounds I find it really easy to use.  Tagging doesn't interrupt anything.  No problems with the tags falling out or the belt clip coming off.  I don't even think I've had any mapping issues.

But I still haven't quite figured out if its actually useful .  As I've said before, I'm not impressed with the stats they produce, given the data they have.  Average club distances are hard to put much weight because there are so many factors that are not accounted for (i.e., uphill/downhill, wind, lie, etc).  I do think its neat to have a graphical representation of my round, and to be able to go back and check how far a particular drive went.  So I guess there's that.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Just you. Never had an issue here.

I think they might rely solely on the GPS mapping for that.

If that hole was marked as a par three there would be no fairway…

Thanks. I'm chalking it up to them having a bunch of people trying out the unit after the thaw this weekend and see at the office later but it was brutal.

As for the fairways, these were two different holes than the mislabeled par ones. Both par 4s and the fairway is really clear from the satellite. I'll mention it to them in the email, maybe it's something that they can fix on their end. Whoever marked this 9 for them was pretty sloppy. The other 9 holer was flawless.

Actually, @iacas was corre ct (as always), and I just hadn't noticed that the other two holes were mislabeled for par as well (mislabeled as 3s). Went through the scorecard and found 5 of the 9 were wrong (but the more naturally-flowing 9 hole course I played the first 18 on was spot-on). Started checking a bunch of nearby courses and a number of them are grossly mislabeled. Hard to for them to guess which hole is which if the course doesn't flow clearly and they aren't familiar with it. I emailed them about this one, identifying each incorrect hole by the current and actual pars with a round ID, so hopefully they'll get it sorted.

If I were to try to point out their errors proactively, what would be the best way to do it? Send them a picture of a score card? They clearly don't know which hole is which in some places. Or is it best to wait until after I play a round there before sending them corrections? Does anyone have experience with this?

Dom's Sticks:

But I still haven't quite figured out if its actually useful.

Slowly arriving to a similar conclusion. As a stat tracker it's meh. Some of the graphs are nice to see but not telling me anything I didn't already know. I suck approaching the green from long distances because I am a crummy ball striker. As a learning tool it didn't reveal anything to me.

I have several times. They are always helpful but they can't get it right on a few holes simply because the irregular hole design and the limitations of GG. At least that's what I was told.

I've had to email them about no mapping for bunkers quite a bit too.

Anyway this is the hole I had a problem with the mapping. As you can see just a strange design. I pretty much hit my ball on the line it shows from the tee and said I was 91 yards from right edge.

• Administrator

But I still haven't quite figured out if its actually useful.  As I've said before, I'm not impressed with the stats they produce, given the data they have.  Average club distances are hard to put much weight because there are so many factors that are not accounted for (i.e., uphill/downhill, wind, lie, etc).  I do think its neat to have a graphical representation of my round, and to be able to go back and check how far a particular drive went.  So I guess there's that.

I think that side of things will tend to grow over time. I think better players tend to know their distances, but can still learn a bit from them. I think just the easy tracking of basic stats like PPGIR and stuff are useful.

I think the main thing, though, is that it's social and lets us see and share in each other's rounds. Anything that forces a player to "post his score" and be somewhat accountable is also helpful. It builds some tournament toughness, and accountability.

I think that side of things will tend to grow over time. I think better players tend to know their distances, but can still learn a bit from them. I think just the easy tracking of basic stats like PPGIR and stuff are useful.

I think the main thing, though, is that it's social and lets us see and share in each other's rounds. Anything that forces a player to "post his score" and be somewhat accountable is also helpful. It builds some tournament toughness, and accountability.

I know Im by no means a better player but in the little time Ive had GG Ive noticed my tendency to miss my 8 & 9 irons right.  I tend to miss short with my wedges.  When I have enough rounds in I think it will help more with tendencies than anything else.  I don't play courses with forced carries all that often but now when I do know I don't hit my driver as far as I think.

I think just the easy tracking of basic stats like PPGIR and stuff are useful.

Do they have PPGIR in there now? I only see putts/hole which is not the most helpful stat.

I know Im by no means a better player but in the little time Ive had GG Ive noticed my tendency to miss my 8 & 9 irons right.  I tend to miss short with my wedges.  When I have enough rounds in I think it will help more with tendencies than anything else.  I don't play courses with forced carries all that often but now when I do know I don't hit my driver as far as I think.

After my first round, it doesn't have anything on my 8 iron, thinks I hit my 7 just shy of 200 yards because it hit a cartpath, and thinks my 9 goes 90 yards because I had to play two chippy ones under trees, haha. Ah, sample sizes.

Dom's Sticks:

• Administrator

Slowly arriving to a similar conclusion. As a stat tracker it's meh. Some of the graphs are nice to see but not telling me anything I didn't already know. I suck approaching the green from long distances because I am a crummy ball striker. As a learning tool it didn't reveal anything to me.

The thing is, too, they can improve the stats and you and everyone else will get them "for free."

I'll tell you what… I'm going to try to get one of the engineers to sign on here or something so that they can start to more directly engage with y'all here.

Do they have PPGIR in there now? I only see putts/hole which is not the most helpful stat.

Frick. Seriously, I assumed that such a simple stat would be on there. I mean, seriously… I'll trust that it's not, which makes it pretty lame that it isn't.

After my first round, it doesn't have anything on my 8 iron, thinks I hit my 7 just shy of 200 yards because it hit a cartpath, and thinks my 9 goes 90 yards because I had to play two chippy ones under trees, haha. Ah, sample sizes.

Yes, sample sizes.

BTW, here's what I mean about the GPS accuracy being within a yard or two. I missed the fairway by a yard or so, so the left image is actually correct. I had to move the "spot" a little further into the rough to get it to show a missed fairway. Which is fine, as it doesn't change the distances I hit the shots or anything.

"Recorded":

"Fixed":

Getting someone frm GG here would be awesome and yeah more stats would be great. I think the GPS is accurate enough just that GG hasn't done enough with the mapping on irregular shaped holes. The marker is always where shoukd be but whatever GG uses to determine what that is can be inaccurate. I will pull some images from Earth tomorrow to be more specific.