IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

Has anybody tried using the app yet? Is it accurate?

Yes. I've been on wrong fairways, under trees, etc. Accuracy is not an issue at all. Only thing I had a problem with this week was the app not moving to the next hole and my not noticing, so it thought I hit two putts, and then apparently laid back to a comfortable yardage with my driver. That was a mess to correct in the software. Other than forgetting to tag or tagging throwing me off (it's definitely a distraction on 2nd putts / tap ins), no big issues.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am going to read through some of the faq's and see if other problems like mine are addressed.  If nothing comes of it I will send off an email.  I could also try the phone app but the thought of dragging that in and out of my pocket is not something I look forward too.  I think the first time I plugged the unit in it upgraded its software.  I just plugged it back in and it has the following for version numbers.

Software Version 1.0.1.0.

Firmware Version 5.5.0.3.

I even stand still for a few seconds for tagging in case there is some kind of lag with the gps.  I know my SkyCaddie will jump around by quite a few yards before you come to a complete stop for a second or two.  Maybe this thing is super slow in that department.

It does some wild stuff on two adjacent holes.  The round the other day skipped hole #2 when it was time for editing and piled all the shots on #3.  It even had the putt tags between them.  Today's round had my second shot on #2 going the opposite direction and crossing way over to #4.  I had to move things around and based it on hitting from under a tree lining #2 and #3 fairways.  Some of the holes does not give you that luxury when editing because you are hitting from wide open spaces and are basically guessing where you where standing when edit times comes.  Good for golf but bad when it comes time to sort the mess out.  Some of the blatant misreads are when playing the holes next to the mountain side of the course.  I'd be willing to bet that the reception has to drop out in those areas.  The thing that puzzles me is when I'm on the flat wide open parts of the course and it throws some wacky points out there (on the highway, wrong side of the green or fairway, 30 yards away from correct tee box).

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

• Administrator

I am going to read through some of the faq's and see if other problems like mine are addressed.  If nothing comes of it I will send off an email.  I could also try the phone app but the thought of dragging that in and out of my pocket is not something I look forward too.  I think the first time I plugged the unit in it upgraded its software.  I just plugged it back in and it has the following for version numbers.

@Judah Ben-Hur , I think you're just wasting your time. Your device seems likely to be goofed up. Nobody else has ever reported wild inaccuracy. I would just email them now and get that process started.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Any GPS device requires a clear view of the sky for best accuracy. Wearing the base unit on your belt will degrade accuracy as your body is mostly water. Water in any form is death to GPS signals, the signal simply cannot maintain strength and timing. Probably receiving 60% or less of available data from the constellation.

Tree cover (water filled leaves and branches) and a horizon restricted by mountains or buildings will further degrade accuracy.

Simply the limitations of the basic technology.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Mine is accurate to about 3 yards +/-. Which is really accurate for GPS. We've been using GPS as a lien holder since affordable units to install in vehicles hit the market several years ago. Those early GPS units were accurate to about 40 yards. We would ping a device during the repo process and the repo agent would have to drive through the parking lot looking for it. Sometimes they would be on the other side of a building. I remember exactly where I am at on the course after a round  GG is always right there. Sometimes I have to drag a shot into a bunker or something but never very far.

Dave :-)

Any GPS device requires a clear view of the sky for best accuracy. Wearing the base unit on your belt will degrade accuracy as your body is mostly water. Water in any form is death to GPS signals, the signal simply cannot maintain strength and timing. Probably receiving 60% or less of available data from the constellation.

Tree cover (water filled leaves and branches) and a horizon restricted by mountains or buildings will further degrade accuracy.

Simply the limitations of the basic technology.

I wear mine on my belt and have zero issues with accuracy. Plus I would think being in a moving car would cause more issues for signals than some clouds or trees. The GPS in phones work perfectly fine when using them with apps like google maps, I don't see this being any different. His device is probably hosed in someway.

Mine is accurate to about 3 yards +/-. Which is really accurate for GPS. We've been using GPS as a lien holder since affordable units to install in vehicles hit the market several years ago. Those early GPS units were accurate to about 40 yards. We would ping a device during the repo process and the repo agent would have to drive through the parking lot looking for it. Sometimes they would be on the other side of a building. I remember exactly where I am at on the course after a round  GG is always right there. Sometimes I have to drag a shot into a bunker or something but never very far.

Spoke too soon. When editing last nights 9 holes I found the tag markers on one hole were about 25 yards off near the green. My ball stopped about a foot from the fringe on the back left corner and GG recorded it as near the fringe on the front right, green is about 30 deep. It wasn't in the right spot in the fairway either. But it was just that one hole.  Probably just a satellite burp because have never had an issue on that hole before. Seems this is an infrequent occurrence.

• Administrator

Spoke too soon. When editing last nights 9 holes I found the tag markers on one hole were about 25 yards off near the green. My ball stopped about a foot from the fringe on the back left corner and GG recorded it as near the fringe on the front right, green is about 30 deep. It wasn't in the right spot in the fairway either. But it was just that one hole.  Probably just a satellite burp because have never had an issue on that hole before. Seems this is an infrequent occurrence.

Also note that I believe the GG only takes a satellite reading every five seconds or so in order to conserve battery power. So if you hit a putt and walk quickly and tap in, it might still have you back at the spot you were 3 or 4 seconds ago.

Not saying that happened to you (you'd have to be moving pretty fast!) but just pointing it out.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also note that I believe the GG only takes a satellite reading every five seconds or so in order to conserve battery power. So if you hit a putt and walk quickly and tap in, it might still have you back at the spot you were 3 or 4 seconds ago.

Not saying that happened to you (you'd have to be moving pretty fast!) but just pointing it out.

I have seen that. Pretty much every round and I am the dork that moves the hole and last putt to get it as close to where it was as possible. Not sure why doesn't do jack for stats just an appearance thing.

I'd be a fool not to try this device out. After a year or so of debating I'm going to do it in the next few weeks. Really interested to see where my game is at and what I can improve on!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

The app definitely has some accuracy issues. I just laser'd a par 3@145 yds. Hit it pin high and said I hit it 101 yds.

I have seen a little of that too. Weather seems to be the factor here. On hole #1 last night I see my first drive recorded as 150 yards. It was a crap drive but no way just 150. GG had the starting point in a practice bunker near the range on the other side of an irrigation ditch. Never had a problem on that hole before. I

t's like Lumosity you get to use your noggin' retracing all your shots. I just zoom in and put the tag as close to where I was as possible. If it chopped 40 yards off a par 3 it probably moved you up on the tee box and didn't get a good fix on the next tag.

I downloaded the app yesterday and noticed when setting up my clubs it didn't have any of the 913 series for Titleist..

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• Administrator

I downloaded the app yesterday and noticed when setting up my clubs it didn't have any of the 913 series for Titleist..

You can add them. They didn't have Miura either. They do now.  :)

You can add them. They didn't have Miura either. They do now.  :)

Roger, thanks. Just thought it was odd since it's still a fairly new program and the 913 series isn't really old.

I lost my game golf unit the other day. It fell off while I was see a man about a horse.... I have noticed that the clip is not real tight regardless of where it worn. I think I am going to keep it in my pocket instead from now on. It seems to work fine there. Just an fyi.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Why would you wear it anywhere but the golf course? I think it would be pretty tough for me to lose mine. I am touching it 80 something times in a few hours and then it goes right back into the same bag pocket every time.