IGNORED

If You Could Only Use 2 Clubs

Gary L
Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well everyone is talking which two clubs they use, yesterday I put it to the test, talked my two mates to play the back nine with two clubs, use my choice 2/9 iron,was happy with my result, had 44, given the front with full set of 41. One of my mates handicap 10, used 3 hybrid and pitching wedge had 39 bettering his front by a stroke. Must admit putting was the biggest challenge. The other statistic was out of 7 fairways we all found them off the tee.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

Well everyone is talking which two clubs they use, yesterday I put it to the test, talked my two mates to play the back nine with two clubs, use my choice 2/9 iron,was happy with my result, had 44, given the front with full set of 41. One of my mates handicap 10, used 3 hybrid and pitching wedge had 39 bettering his front by a stroke. Must admit putting was the biggest challenge. The other statistic was out of 7 fairways we all found them off the tee.

It's surprising how well you can shoot if you pick the right clubs for the right course. When I was doing it a lot, I was playing a course that you could bounce it on, so I would hit a everything from a punch 5-wood from 120, to a swing away 220.  It really didn't matter the distance.  A half-swing 5-wood from 130 was the same 3/4 swing from 180.

• Administrator

Dave, my point is the putting aspect of golf changes dramatically if you have to putt with something besides your putter unless you practice with that club.

I disagree. Putting is a simple task. I putt almost as well with a wedge as I do with a putter. We had a one-club challenge with 6- or 5-irons and people shot even par. I made a 15 footer on the first hole with my 5I.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah not tough at all to putt with a wedge.  At the lowest end of the what is difficult in golf scale.

Compared to a 270 yard drive exactly where you want it? Yeah, no comparison.

Although, I might hate to use my LW on the green for fear that the greens keeper might come after me.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Although, I might hate to use my LW on the green for fear that the greens keeper might come after me.

Huh? You BLADE the ball, you don't take divots. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A few years ago, I put a pool cue in my golf bag before hitting the links with my golf partner. When I took my bag of clubs out of the car, my golf partner noticed the pool cue sticking out of my bag, and he asked: "what is that for?" To which I replied that's my new putter.

Huh? You BLADE the ball, you don't take divots. :)

If I take a divot on the green, they would bury me under the bunkers. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 6 years later...
13 minutes ago, RoughNTuff said:

Putter (of course!)

Why? Waste of a club, and certainly not as fun either. You can do nearly just as well putting by blading another club. In other words, you’ll putt better with another club than you will hit other shots with a putter.  To that end, I’d rather go driver and a like a 7i. More strokes to be gained in the long game. 

I'd take my M6 9 wood which has a great leading edge and sole profile, and is very responsive to slight ball position changes to full swing shots anywhere from towering 180 to a boring 235. it chips and putts well too. A very versatile instrument. 

Second club would be a 50-10 Zipcore wedge. Another very versatile club, and spins the ball so well on partial shots I am still getting used to carrying little pitches and chips further than I did with my Vokeys. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Esox said:

I'd take my M6 9 wood which has a great leading edge and sole profile, and is very responsive to slight ball position changes to full swing shots anywhere from towering 180 to a boring 235. it chips and putts well too. A very versatile instrument. 

Second club would be a 50-10 Zipcore wedge. Another very versatile club, and spins the ball so well on partial shots I am still getting used to carrying little pitches and chips further than I did with my Vokeys. 

Nice. Fairway woods are very versatile. And dang, your 9 wood is strong or your speed is. My 3w flies about 225-235 carry (generally 145-149 ball speed) so you’ve got some speed in that tank. 👍

10 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Nice. Fairway woods are very versatile. And dang, your 9 wood is strong or your speed is. My 3w flies about 225-235 carry (generally 145-149 ball speed) so you’ve got some speed in that tank. 👍

That 9 wood has 24 degrees of loft,  but the ball comes off hot. Very hot. On a "regular" shot it carries only 20 yards short of my M6 5 wood, but descends so steeply it has roll out that could be measured with a yardstick.. At darn near 62 I am very fortunate. On good arthritis days I can still get 112-114 mph with the driver( and some of my shots are obviously faster given the results) and a lot of them are a lot slower on bad days.. I am on a campaign to lose 35 pounds (I am 5-10 and 268) Decidedly a mesomorph, 52" chest, thickly muscled. Even when I was 238# with very little fat I was "obese" on the biomass charts.   I seldom hit a 3 wood off the deck any more, except for into the wind. I still hit it off the tee when I need a draw or fade, for me the 3 is simply easier to control the amount of movement. for a 245-255 carry.

Any events that are five clubs or so, I would always include a putter. Although with only two clubs available, I would probably go 4 hybrid, and a 7-iron.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

4 hybrid and PW.  Probably my two go to clubs when I need them.  Around the green everything is a PW unless I need more loft for specific reasons.  The hybrid is my most accurate club and is a club I can generally choke down on and control distance to a reasonable extent.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 hybrid and 8 iron I think.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:13 AM, Esox said:

I am on a campaign to lose 35 pounds (I am 5-10 and 268) Decidedly a mesomorph, 52" chest, thickly muscled. Even when I was 238# with very little fat I was "obese" on the biomass charts.   

The very biggest of 5'8" professional bodybuilders only compete at 175-185lbs; They may weight as much as 210 in the off-season.... just saying. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'd probably go for 5i and 9i. 

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!