IGNORED

How many strokes do you lose playing aerated greens?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many strokes do you lose (or gain) playing aerated greens? Assume they're like the photo in the first post.

• I shoot better scores on aerated greens.
    • I shoot about the same on aerated greens.
    • I shoot a few strokes higher on aerated greens.
    • I shoot several strokes higher on aerated greens.
    • I shoot much higher scores on aerated greens.

I voted several strokes higher but I am probably in between that and a few strokes higher. To me it isn't the speed. That I can adjust for. What you cannot adjust for is when your ball loses it's momentum on mid to long putts when approaching the hole and starts to bounce off the punch holes and off any short of "readable" line. Also you cannot account for short putts through punch holes. I watched someone on Sunday putt a 2 foot putt that hit a punched hole, hopped in the air and straight to the right. Also you can add in chipping and pitching affecting your scores.

I would guess that if greens that are punched really bad and have a lot of sand doesn't affect your score then you probably aren't very good at putting to start with. But that's just a guess.

James

All right guys, here's a picture a couple of the greens that was not mowed last night. It was like putting on a lawn.

Here's one that was mowed last night or after my round yesterday morning:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why are they not mowing the greens?   At least to my knowledge, aeration doesn't affect the ability to mow the greens.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Why are they not mowing the greens?   At least to my knowledge, aeration doesn't affect the ability to mow the greens.....

Beats me. Maybe scheduling?

Kind of brings back memories of the Harry Vardon greens from the turn of the previous century. :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

If they put a bunch of sand on them, they don't want to mow a bunch of sand. That can wear down the blades REAL FAST.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If they put a bunch of sand on them, they don't want to mow a bunch of sand. That can wear down the blades REAL FAST.

In addition to this, the weather's been pretty sunny and hot lately, so I would guess the grass is growing much faster than normal. It's never been this bad, at least in the last 4 years.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I voted several strokes higher but I am probably in between that and a few strokes higher. To me it isn't the speed. That I can adjust for. What you cannot adjust for is when your ball loses it's momentum on mid to long putts when approaching the hole and starts to bounce off the punch holes and off any short of "readable" line. Also you cannot account for short putts through punch holes. I watched someone on Sunday putt a 2 foot putt that hit a punched hole, hopped in the air and straight to the right. Also you can add in chipping and pitching affecting your scores.

I would guess that if greens that are punched really bad and have a lot of sand doesn't affect your score then you probably aren't very good at putting to start with. But that's just a guess.

I'd say that's a poor guess.  If one can't adjust to changing conditions, that's when I would say that one isn't a very good putter.

In my 40 odd years I've putted on just about anything you can name, and never complained.  I've played sand greens, buffalo grass greens, greens that looked like shag carpet, temp greens, greens that were more than 50% bare ground -   compared to some of those, aerated greens are a blessing.  I average right around 30-31 putts per round.  I rarely 3 putt, no matter if the greens are pristine or ragged.  I'm not a great putter, but I'm not bad, and I just try to compensate when conditions are substandard.

My home course doesn't mow as tight for a week or so after aeration because the sand can really chew up the mower blades.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If one can't adjust to changing conditions, that's when I would say that one isn't a very good putter.

You can't adjust for a perfectly struck putt bouncing offline due to a hole in the green. That's like saying you're not a very good golfer if you can't play just as well when every tee shot of yours lands in a divot in the fairway. It's not just a changed condition, it's one that can't be compensated for entirely. It takes more luck than skill to putt on aerated greens.

You can't adjust for a perfectly struck putt bouncing offline due to a hole in the green.

I agree with that.

It takes more luck than skill to putt on aerated greens.

In a putting contest on aerated greens I would still put my money on the good putter over the poor putter (but I wouldn't feel like it was quite as sure a bet).

Side note: I'm slightly surprised that most people think their biggest handicap on aerated greens involves putting. For me chips and pitches are much more unpredictable on aerated greens than putts, depending of which edge of a hole the ball lands on.

I agree with that.

In a putting contest on aerated greens I would still put my money on the good putter over the poor putter (but I wouldn't feel like it was quite as sure a bet).

Side note: I'm slightly surprised that most people think their biggest handicap on aerated greens involves putting. For me chips and pitches are much more unpredictable on aerated greens than putts, depending of which edge of a hole the ball lands on.

This is one of the main reasons, I am having trouble with the current conditions. This and the long putts if you do make a GIR. I bet when I get back next week, it'll be great. Cross fingers.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I love this time of year.  People like most of you stay away, so those of us who don't mind it get our choice of the good tee times. ;-)

Rick

I agree with that. In a putting contest on aerated greens I would still put my money on the good putter over the poor putter (but I wouldn't feel like it was quite as sure a bet). Side note: I'm slightly surprised that most people think their biggest handicap on aerated greens involves putting. For me chips and pitches are much more unpredictable on aerated greens than putts, depending of which edge of a hole the ball lands on.

I just chip between the holes. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You know what irks me the most... is the fact that courses around here don't give any sort of a price break after they aerate.  THAT is what annoys me.  You should be discounting your greens fees if the fairways and or greens have been aerated.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

You know what irks me the most... is the fact that courses around here don't give any sort of a price break after they aerate.  THAT is what annoys me.  You should be discounting your greens fees if the fairways and or greens have been aerated.

Why?  It doesn't cost them any less to operate at that time than it does the rest of the season.  If you don't like it, don't play.

Rick

About the same... if they are sanded properly, the bounces are kept to a minimum and you probably get just as many good ones as bad.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

When I play on aerated greens I pretty much just accept that I'm going to two putt anything longer than 10 feet

We are usually going to (at least) two putt anything longer than 10 feet anyway. ;-)

Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!