IGNORED

Par Golf, and the low single digit players you know

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Scratch and low digit players that have games that travel well will likely have a more diverse shot selection and ability to work the ball.

I'm just going to point out here (not picking on you, a couple of people mentioned it) that the whole idea of "working the ball" is talked about a whole lot more than it is used. Watching the pros, they'll hit their "stock" shot probably 8 times out of 10, with the other times being when the shot really called for something else.

It's because you have a certain shot that you can always depend on (for me it's a draw) and hit with consistency. I'm not going to just switch around to a fade just because the hole is straight or goes slightly to the right (or if I can easily clear whatever obstacles would be on the right for me to cut a corner) because it's something that, while I practice it, is not as natural for my swing. There's one private course near me that has occasional open tournaments, and that course is tree-lined and calls for a lot of fades off the tee. I'll hit those fades readily, but barring circumstances like that I will hit my normal shot shape that comes naturally.

Working the ball comes into play mostly in two situations:

1) Off the tee on courses with trees or other design elements that make it impossible or impractical to hit you normal shot shape

or

2) When you're in trouble trying to recover

I don't change my shot shape to try to get myself on the green closer to the pin either. As LSW shows, you're better off just hitting the green than trying to attack most pins. I know I'll hit the green more often when I hit the shot I'm most comfortable with.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm referencing a 7 HDCP amateur I play with on occasion, and a 5 HDCP (?) young club pro who played a practice round on my course before his PGA card basic skills test.

As far as "pretty much strike the ball like a pro..." This is a matter of degree. Every other round, I hit 3 or 4 full shots that a tour pro likely would find acceptable. But, a lot more that nobody wants. These two hit decent shots most of the time.

The amateur hit good shots most of the time - but only a few times went "pin-hunting" for a birdie. Other observations:

• He makes a double bogie maybe every other round.
  • In rounds where he had 3 or 4 birdies, he shot just a couple over.
  • In rounds where birdies were sparse, he shoots around 80.

Common points between the amateur and the young pro: Both were deadly putters inside 5 feet, and both use the 2H as their "go to" club for a variety of shots. Their short wedge and chip-and-run  shots normally came from within 30 yards of the green.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm just going to point out here (not picking on you, a couple of people mentioned it) that the whole idea of "working the ball" is talked about a whole lot more than it is used. Watching the pros, they'll hit their "stock" shot probably 8 times out of 10, with the other times being when the shot really called for something else. It's because you have a certain shot that you can always depend on (for me it's a draw) and hit with consistency. I'm not going to just switch around to a fade just because the hole is straight or goes slightly to the right (or if I can easily clear whatever obstacles would be on the right for me to cut a corner) because it's something that, while I practice it, is not as natural for my swing. There's one private course near me that has occasional open tournaments, and that course is tree-lined and calls for a lot of fades off the tee. I'll hit those fades readily, but barring circumstances like that I will hit my normal shot shape that comes naturally. Working the ball comes into play mostly in two situations: 1) Off the tee on courses with trees or other design elements that make it impossible or impractical to hit you normal shot shape or 2) When you're in trouble trying to recover I don't change my shot shape to try to get myself on the green closer to the pin either. As LSW shows, you're better off just hitting the green than trying to attack most pins. I know I'll hit the green more often when I hit the shot I'm most comfortable with.

I agree. Last summer when I was hitting the ball the best, a little shorter but significantly better, I could work the ball both ways with absolutely no problem. I didn't quite have trajectory down as my game went to crap right after. I would still play my draw whenever I could because I felt it took spin off and went farther. The only time I would hit a fade is 1) had to off the tee 2) had to wrap it around from the woods 2) wanted it to go high and stop quickly 3) was in between clubs and my fade was a half club shorter 4) or if I wanted to balloon it into the wind. Numbers 4 and 2 were fairly uncommon. If I had to guess I would say my long game was better that scratch at the time, but since I was not a member anywhere I beat balls all day and played 6 rounds a year. My shortgame was like a 20 hdcp

I think a lot of it comes down to what people think is good ball striking and how good or bad a players "misses" are.

For an average golfer a miss can mean off the green from 10-20 yards. For a low to mid single digit handicap a miss might be 3-5 yards off the green. As a scratch player my misses are usually a couple feet off the green or on the fringe or edge of the green(40-50 ft birdie putt). For a Tour player their misses mean they have a 30 footer for birdie or they short sided themselves going after a tough pin which they're still going to get up and down a high percentage of the time.

At least for me this also effects how I attack a pin. My goal on every tee box is to play the hole to give myself the best chance to make birdie but I'm not as aggressive at some pins as a tour player because I prefer not to short side myself knowing my short game is no where near the level of a tour players.

Funny thing I played with a stranger not long ago who was about a 15 handicap and I was just off that day. I was 2 over on the day playing the 15th hole and hit another mediocre shot up on the green about 30 feet. I'm not very vocal on the course but I guess after about every shot that day I was giving myself a very low grunt of disapproval. After I hit the shot the guy says to me I've noticed all day you haven't hardly missed a shot yet you haven't been happy with any of them. In his eyes I was having a great ball striking day hitting most of the greens but I knew I was hitting the ball like dog do do.

The other thing is scratch and low digit players games come in all different shapes and sizes. There are a good number of them that play their short home course over and over with their one shot shape and in their comfortable surroundings. Take them somewhere else on a longer track and many of them are going to shoot in the 78-80 range. Scratch and low digit players that have games that travel well will likely have a more diverse shot selection and ability to work the ball.

I was thinking more in lines with this type of scratch golfer. The scratch golfers I have played shoot around their handicap on all the courses we play, even if they had never set foot on the course.

One former scratch player shot much higher (6 strokes or more on a TPC course) only because he was forced to play shorter tees, and couldn't use his driver for most of the time for fear of overshooting doglegs. Hybrids off the tees were his norm on these short (6600 yard) tees, and you could hear a really aggressive hiss on the ball all the way to the apex. I figured that his ball striking was pretty good with a really long hybrid carry and 280-290 yard driver carry the few times he was able to use it. He claimed to be currently around a 2 to 4 handicap, but was scratch or better in high school.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Another place for working the ball is when the pins are on the side of greens. I aim for the middle with either a draw or fade. I normally draw the ball but a fade is pretty easy for me. Helps getting closer to the hole with minimal risk. If it goes straight, OK. If it moves, better. Since I don't usually aggressively strike my irons, I very rarely double cross myself Too bad I usually miss the putts.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I play with some low single-digit handicappers from time to time. Actually I'm not all that impressed with their ball striking, what I'm impressed by is their consistency and course management. Not always on the green in regulation, but if they miss it isn't by much, and they can chip. Good out of the sand. Putting unspectacular but solid, three-putts very uncommon indeed. Not all especially long hitters, and certainly not all able to 'work' the ball at will, but play consistently straight (or consistently draw or fade the ball) and spend most of their time on the short stuff. It's rarely spectacular, it's just efficient, these guys are closer to making the most of what they've got than I am.

The difference between them and the tour pros I have watched is night and day, there's no comparison. The latter appear to be playing a different game in terms both of power and precision.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I play with scratch to hcp 2 golfers every month. They can hit it a mile and scramble most of the time it is needed. But they are not even close to hitting it like a pro.

Our clubchamp from two years ago was a +2/+3 hcp. He started playing pro golf starters level pro, two divisions below the European tour. This year he made one or two cuts on that level. His ballstriking is a lot better than the scratchplayers I know.

pros are miles better than scratch, and scratch is really good...

but what i always appreciate is how a pro will at times hit it way WAY off line.  sometimes on a par 3 youll see a pro hook one 30 yards left of a green and then youll feel a little better about yourself for a minute until he gets up and down for his par...

Colin P.

pros are miles better than scratch, and scratch is really good...

but what i always appreciate is how a pro will at times hit it way WAY off line.  sometimes on a par 3 youll see a pro hook one 30 yards left of a green and then youll feel a little better about yourself for a minute until he gets up and down for his par...

Exactly.  That's what is most impressive about these guys on tour.  I play at a 3-4 handicap right now and when I miss a shot that bad I'm thinking what went wrong. Am I back to my hold habits etc.  The tour pros know it was just a bad swing and then are not afraid of the next shot.  Not to mention they can hit any type of shot around a green that they want.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I think the deal with guys who shoot low 70s is this: I'm capable of hitting just about every shot your average tour pro can hit. The difference is it just doesn't happen as often. But it's those good shots that mid-cappers remember when they play with us. Typical situation: I played with a group in Scottsdale several weeks ago--mid 50s guys that played 90 golf. They were oohs and aahs over a lot of my shots. I hit some good shots that day, but nothing spectacular. I think I shot 75 and had two eagle attempts. But I was playing the back tee and hitting shots they weren't capable of hitting.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I think the deal with guys who shoot low 70s is this: I'm capable of hitting just about every shot your average tour pro can hit. The difference is it just doesn't happen as often.

But it's those good shots that mid-cappers remember when they play with us. Typical situation: I played with a group in Scottsdale several weeks ago--mid 50s guys that played 90 golf. They were oohs and aahs over a lot of my shots. I hit some good shots that day, but nothing spectacular. I think I shot 75 and had two eagle attempts. But I was playing the back tee and hitting shots they weren't capable of hitting.

It's funny that in the last 8 days, I have played with 4 people who fit your description. They hit really far (290+ yards, using my phone GPS to verify), so I assume their ball striking is tour quality, but missing something that gives them accuracy and consistency.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

... I assume their ball striking is tour quality, but missing something that gives them accuracy and consistency.

@Lihu ... how would YOU define "tour quality ball striking?"

Because one of the first things I'd include in my definition would be something close to the opposite of the second half of your sentence.

That sentence reads to me like "I assume she is supermodel quality, but she just happens to be missing an attractive face and body."  Know what I mean??

@Lihu ... how would YOU define "tour quality ball striking?"

Because one of the first things I'd include in my definition would be something close to the opposite of the second half of your sentence.

That sentence reads to me like "I assume she is supermodel quality, but she just happens to be missing an attractive face and body."  Know what I mean??

Yeah, I suppose you are right. Maybe I meant tour swing speed with the ability to hit tour quality shots some of the time.

Basically, a supermodel that only wears makeup some of the time.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yeah, I suppose you are right. Maybe I meant tour swing speed with the ability to hit tour quality shots some of the time.

that would be me.  i have the speed but the consistency is all over the place.

Colin P.

OK, that makes more sense.  Because I think to most when you say the word(s) "ball striking," you are including in that term some reference towards consistency.

In line with what @k-troop said, part of what makes golf awesome is how we can all occasionally hit a shot just like a pro.  I had an entire hole a few weeks ago where I did that, and the feeling was ... euphoric.  Three shots in a row hit basically as good as I am capable of.

Start turning holes like that into the norm instead of a once-a-year rarity, and then I can start talking about being a good ball striker.

Actually, there are probably quite a few like this. :beer:

OK, that makes more sense.  Because I think to most when you say the word(s) "ball striking," you are including in that term some reference towards consistency.

In line with what @k-troop said, part of what makes golf awesome is how we can all occasionally hit a shot just like a pro.  I had an entire hole a few weeks ago where I did that, and the feeling was ... euphoric.  Three shots in a row hit basically as good as I am capable of.

Start turning holes like that into the norm instead of a once-a-year rarity, and then I can start talking about being a good ball striker.

Actually, there are probably quite a few like this.

I think there are especially on this site. Beer to all you single digits in here. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't necessarily have great ball striking skills, I don't think I do anyway, but I can ham and egg it from anywhere, have all of my irons and hybrids dialed in to a couple of yards and with lots of overlap in total distance, I hit a straight drive with lots of fairways, My putting is so so.........so I get lots of pars, birdies can scarce at times.

Anyone ever play with a real low single digit player and not been impressed with their ball striking?

I've played all different parts of the country and a couple courses in Asia. No shortage of good players, and they all have one common attribute, good ball striking.

I asked a low single digit player how long he's been playing, today, and he answered 20 years starting at 8. He was scratch in high school, but is now a 4.

If you watch any low handicap scratch to 2 level player or anyone who's gotten below 2, they pretty much strike the ball like a pro.

I beg to differ........  I guess what one person sees as striking it like a pro depends on their perception.  Maybe this person has never watched the pro's play!!??  A scratch golfer is a duffer compared to a pro.....As a low'ish HC player who made it to a 0HC at one time, my ball striking SUKKS.  (my perception)  With golf or anything, perception is relative...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!