IGNORED

I am calling you out as a non-golfer IF.........................

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A guy I occasionally golf with plays off a 2 handicap.  He played college golf at a D1 school and can shoot low/mid 70s whether he's stone cold sober or falling down drunk (I've seen both).  He's definitely a drunk and most likely an alcoholic, but I'd have a hard time calling him a non-golfer.  But then again, most of the "non-golfer" talk on this thread is based upon individual pet peeves and doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.  A stranger on the internet calling you out as a non-golfer for whatever inane reason shouldn't matter much to anybody.

I play with several guys at my club that are also 1-2 handicaps, in fact two of them have won our club championship 18 times combined and they both drink like fishes on the course. In fact they play better after drinking.  They play the front 9 with a few beers and both get 6 packs for the turn.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play with several guys at my club that are also 1-2 handicaps, in fact two of them have won our club championship 18 times combined and they both drink like fishes on the course. In fact they play better after drinking.  They play the front 9 with a few beers and both get 6 packs for the turn.

So I guess there are some "non-golfers" out there with pretty spectacular golf talent. :-)

I certainly don't advocate it or claim that it's something to be emulated (it definitely doesn't work for me), but it's not a valid basis to label somebody a non-golfer.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

You wouldn't play it where it lies cause a little alligator was near your ball

While playing Pawleys Plantation, my tee shot landed near this cute fella.  I played it after chasing the gator into the water with my 6i and having the guys keep an eye out in case he came back out of the water.  To top it off, I hit a great shot onto the green.

Joe Paradiso

While playing Pawleys Plantation, my tee shot landed near this cute fella.  I played it after chasing the gator into the water with my 6i and having the guys keep an eye out in case he came back out of the water.  To top it off, I hit a great shot onto the green.

That makes me grateful that all we have to worry about are coyotes and rattlesnakes on the courses around here! :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

While playing Pawleys Plantation, my tee shot landed near this cute fella.  I played it after chasing the gator into the water with my 6i and having the guys keep an eye out in case he

came back out of the water.  To top it off, I hit a great shot onto the green.

HA.....  Kudos......   This was at Lions Paw or Leopards Chase in Myrtle...     I can't find the original pic, but this is what I put in our brochure with the caption "Play Smart My Friend"...   This was a friend that went on the trip the prior year...

This was day 4 of the trip - it's not all about golf at that point!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

A guy I occasionally golf with plays off a 2 handicap.  He played college golf at a D1 school and can shoot low/mid 70s whether he's stone cold sober or falling down drunk (I've seen both).  He's definitely a drunk and most likely an alcoholic, but I'd have a hard time calling him a non-golfer.  But then again, most of the "non-golfer" talk on this thread is based upon individual pet peeves and doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.  A stranger on the internet calling you out as a non-golfer for whatever inane reason shouldn't matter much to anybody.

I'd take that challenge.   Set the stage....he needs to take 16 shots before the first tee, and then drink 1 beer per hole to maintain the buzz.    I'd play him for any amount.    I'd kick his division 1 azz.......LOL   Drunk golfers aren't good players whether it be a 20HC that needs to loosen up, or a competitive player falling down and stupid.  I challenge your drunk 2HC friend to a match.......LOL

I promise you his golf game will fall to pieces......there is no game that requires touch and skill such as a game like golf, when being physically impaired is a benefit.  A brain surgeon is just as likely to perform his best surgeries while falling down drunk...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I hate playing nine.  I only play nine if it's holes 19-27.

Lets wait and see if that's still your mindset when you are approaching 70 years old

Amen.  The simplest answer?  A person is a non-golfer if he doesn't play golf. :smartass:

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Play golf in jeans. Play in a tank top and sandals? Fine by me (I've often been tempted to do so myself, just to mitigate my farmers tan).

But I cannot possibly, under any scenario, imagine why someone would play golf in jeans.

I play a lot of golf when the temp is in the 50's. What do you suggest I wear? I also know a LOT of golfers who are pretty close to Scratch, that play in jeans.

i-am-calling-you-out-as-a-non-golfer-if:

If you've never had a bad day, where your swing just refused to function properly. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Any golfer that requires a "Swing Lube"...........is a non golfer.

In no way under any circumstances, is being under the influence of drugs or alcohol going to improve ones golf game!!   This game is tough enough to play well sober, let alone with a buzz!!!!!!    Those who believe they play better "IMPAIRED".....don't know about what they speak.  They're just drunks......I suppose.

This tells me you have had your ass spanked Multiple times. By players that had a so called buzz.

I'd take that challenge.   Set the stage....he needs to take 16 shots before the first tee, and then drink 1 beer per hole to maintain the buzz.    I'd play him for any amount.    I'd kick his division 1 azz.......LOL   Drunk golfers aren't good players whether it be a 20HC that needs to loosen up, or a competitive player falling down and stupid.  I challenge your drunk 2HC friend to a match.......LOL I promise you his golf game will fall to pieces......there is no game that requires touch and skill such as a game like golf, when being physically impaired is a benefit.  A brain surgeon is just as likely to perform his best surgeries while falling down drunk...........

This is just ridiculous. You're right--you can beat anyone who has just taken 16 shots because that person would be nearly dead. And comparing golf to neurosurgery is equally ridiculous.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

This tells me you have had your ass spanked Multiple times. By players that had a so called buzz.

You'd be mistaken...

Every golfer I have ever played with that got drunk on the course is a hacker with zero chance of beating me.    Not being cocky....just stating the truth.

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

You'd be mistaken...

Every golfer I have ever played with that got drunk on the course is a hacker with zero chance of beating me.    Not being cocky....just stating the truth.

Although 6-7 beers is not what I call drunk. I play with several guys that will drink 6 to 8 beers during a round of 18. There handicap is lower than 4.2, that's not being cocky. That IS just the Truth.

Although 6-7 beers is not what I call drunk. I play with several guys that will drink 6 to 8 beers during a round of 18. There handicap is lower than 4.2, that's not being cocky. That IS just the Truth.

Not being judgmental, but 6 to 8 beers during a 4 hour round of golf? How do these fellows get home from the course? I guess I don't really want to know, I'll just happily imagine that there is a non-boozing member of the foursome who drives everyone home....Another reason for favoring walking golf: who would want to lug the best part of a case of beer around a golf course?!

• Upvote 1

Not being judgmental, but 6 to 8 beers during a 4 hour round of golf? How do these fellows get home from the course? I guess I don't really want to know, I'll just happily imagine that there is a non-boozing member of the foursome who drives everyone home....Another reason for favoring walking golf: who would want to lug the best part of a case of beer around a golf course?!

Our guys live on the course, and either they walk home or get someone from the course to drop them off by golf cart.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I understand where you are coming from, yet as bad as this may sound. For people that drink almost everyday. 6 beers over a 4 hr period is a pretty slow pace. If you had a conversation with them after the round. You would not even think they had been drinking. These same guys I play with when Not playing golf. Drink 4 beers in an hour. Alcoholics ? probably but, I have never seen them falling down drunk. You have to think about that someone who drinks almost everyday may not get the same effect from 6 beers as the occasional drinker. Last but not least, No I'm not saying it's right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

You'd be mistaken...

I bet they would play even better if they replaced the beer with water. . .

BTW, @BuckeyeNut is/was a scratch golfer. His index when I started on this site was 1.8 or something like that, and was actually 0 for a while. He's in this "bowling" phase of his life, so I guess he spends too little time on the course to bring it back down. However, if money is on the line, he might get back to scratch just to prove a point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny

I understand where you are coming from, yet as bad as this may sound. For people that drink almost everyday. 6 beers over a 4 hr period is a pretty slow pace. If you had a conversation with them after the round. You would not even think they had been drinking. These same guys I play with when Not playing golf. Drink 4 beers in an hour. Alcoholics ? probably but, I have never seen them falling down drunk. You have to think about that someone who drinks almost everyday may not get the same effect from 6 beers as the occasional drinker. Last but not least, No I'm not saying it's right.

They should use Lyft. We did an experiment at work for the fun of it. The results were that even though we "felt" normal our blood alcohol levels were much higher than the acceptable limit. Writing code and soldering were even more difficult. :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!