IGNORED

"Correct" pace of play

flopster
Note: This thread is 3404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is a correct pace of play?

• 4 1/2 hours
    • keep up with group in front

You and @Fourputt make the same comment but with the same condition, I agree also but for some reason golf courses are overrun with people with no clue. I watch these circuses every weekend and it's the same stupid crap.

I would have a standing bet that three of my friends and I can play faster than any 4 walkers, but I know what you are talking about.

One intervening variable around here is that most people that show up to walk are fairly serious golfers that know how to play and understand golf etiquette . Almost all that don't fit that description ride in carts.

That, in itself, can skew which appears to be faster between walking and riding.

One intervening variable around here is that most people that show up to walk are fairly serious golfers that know how to play and understand golf etiquette. Almost all that don't fit that description ride in carts.

This is 100% of the case in my experience. I've never been behind a slow group that wasn't in motor carts.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would have a standing bet that three of my friends and I can play faster than any 4 walkers, but I know what you are talking about. One intervening variable around here is that most people that show up to walk are fairly serious golfers that know how to play and understand golf etiquette . Almost all that don't fit that description ride in carts. That, in itself, can skew which appears to be faster between walking and riding.

This is true! I rarely ride a cart, and on the few occasions I have, it's just meant I have had to wait around longer in between shots, So I prefer to walk, carts are only faster if there's nobody in front! The only time I use a cart now is when I'm playing 2 or 3 days consecutively, and even then I only hire one for the last day!

Gaz Lee

Obviously slow play is a snowball, plenty of good, fast players will slow down to their ball or tee if they know they'll just have to wait there, to avoid impatience, and then so on and so forth behind them, one slow group can ruin an entire field, and then the normally fast players get blamed for slow play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS256

One intervening variable around here is that most people that show up to walk are fairly serious golfers that know how to play and understand golf etiquette. Almost all that don't fit that description ride in carts.

This is 100% of the case in my experience. I've never been behind a slow group that wasn't in motor carts.

I have.  Plenty of times.  But those players would have been slow if they'd been in a Ferrari.  It's a case of training and mindset, not the method used to get around the course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I just did a search on "how to stop slow play in golf" . I received 5,170,000 results. You'd think that with all that information on preventing slow play, the problem would start to disappear, even if just a little.

No, some days of  golfing will be faster, and some days will be slower. It's a cold war between over crowding (revenue) , slower, and faster players (rhythm)  .

It's kind of like sitting on the freeway during rush hour. Waiting in line at the grocery store. Doctor's office visits. Waiting for that next fish to bite.  We all have to wait for things. Golf is no different. Usually when we are waiting for something, we pass the time doing something else. When it's time to get on with what we were waiting for, we change our thought process to what we were waiting for in the first place.

It's my opinion that golfers who have a tough time with slow play are concerned about their (higher?) scores. Slower than normal play takes them out of their normal game. Their normal playing rhythm is challenged. They shoot a higher than average score because they can't adapt. While waiting, the faster golfer frets about the slow play, which takes them out of their mental game. Yes it's possible the golfer just does not have time for a 4+ hour round. That's an individual's scheduling issue.

The other day I played through a 5.5 hour round. There were lots of waits while others got out of our way. There were folks in back of us who brought their "Jerk Pills" with them. A few balls were hit into us, I suppose to prove a point. I thought it was nice of that golfer to share his Bridgestone 330s with us. Though all of that I shot my lowest score since my return to golf some months ago.

Although I have to attribute part of my low score to my playing partner who I was trying to keep up with, I also give more credit to my use of a my pre-shot routine.  During the waits, we did not think about about our golf game. Oh, we already knew what club we were going to use, and had our target in mind, but that's all. When it came time to step up to our shots, the previous waiting was not an issue, once we went into our pre-shot routines.

With out some huge reinforcements in the game, slow play will always be with us to one degree or another. On those days of slow play, the golfer will need to adapt to play better.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I just did a search on "how to stop slow play in golf" . I received 5,170,000 results. You'd think that with all that information on preventing slow play, the problem would start to disappear, even if just a little.

No, some days of  golfing will be faster, and some days will be slower. It's a cold war between over crowding (revenue) , slower, and faster players (rhythm)  .

It's kind of like sitting on the freeway during rush hour. Waiting in line at the grocery store. Doctor's office visits. Waiting for that next fish to bite.  We all have to wait for things. Golf is no different. Usually when we are waiting for something, we pass the time doing something else. When it's time to get on with what we were waiting for, we change our thought process to what we were waiting for in the first place.

It's my opinion that golfers who have a tough time with slow play are concerned about their (higher?) scores. Slower than normal play takes them out of their normal game. Their normal playing rhythm is challenged. They shoot a higher than average score because they can't adapt. While waiting, the faster golfer frets about the slow play, which takes them out of their mental game. Yes it's possible the golfer just does not have time for a 4+ hour round. That's an individual's scheduling issue.

The other day I played through a 5.5 hour round. There were lots of waits while others got out of our way. There were folks in back of us who brought their "Jerk Pills" with them. A few balls were hit into us, I suppose to prove a point. I thought it was nice of that golfer to share his Bridgestone 330s with us. Though all of that I shot my lowest score since my return to golf some months ago.

Although I have to attribute part of my low score to my playing partner who I was trying to keep up with, I also give more credit to my use of a my pre-shot routine.  During the waits, we did not think about about our golf game. Oh, we already knew what club we were going to use, and had our target in mind, but that's all. When it came time to step up to our shots, the previous waiting was not an issue, once we went into our pre-shot routines.

With out some huge reinforcements in the game, slow play will always be with us to one degree or another. On those days of slow play, the golfer will need to adapt to play better.

Yup, ball shopping is great when you get a pretested shot once only ball. Although, I usually don't take them from the party behind me, I figure it might prompt them to hit more. I know, I know, it just means you get more balls. ;-)

I get lots of pro-V1's in a ravine because they spin too much, and quite a few of them are sliced right into the ravine. I walk down there when I am waiting to tee off on the two par 3's that line it. 6 pro-V1s in almost new condition in 2 weeks. This is a generally less risky way to get them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

After watching hackers take forever with pre-shot routines, playing charade with "no you go first, you're away" in extremis,

oh my god, this aggravates me TO NO END!!!!!!!!!  JUST CHUNK THE DAMN BALL ALREADY!!!

Colin P.

oh my god, this aggravates me TO NO END!!!!!!!!!  JUST CHUNK THE DAMN BALL ALREADY!!!

Though I do not like when you know you are away and someone decides they are just going to hit. If you are going through your putting preshot routine, then another player decides to go and hit their putt.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Though I do not like when you know you are away and someone decides they are just going to hit. If you are going through your putting preshot routine, then another player decides to go and hit their putt.

but thats not really what im talking about.  if i look around and no one is ready/preparing to hit, i will hit.  if i see you lining up your putt, i will wait. what pisses me off is when i see people just standing there, just waiting for someone else to get started, because they are not technically "away".

Colin P.

but thats not really what im talking about.  if i look around and no one is ready/preparing to hit, i will hit.  if i see you lining up your putt, i will wait. what pisses me off is when i see people just standing there, just waiting for someone else to get started, because they are not technically "away".

Ok that makes sense.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I played a round on Sunday that took 4hrs. I walked and the pace seemed fine. 3hrs 45min would've been perfect and 3.5hrs would've felt a little fast. Other than that, I was very happy with the pace since I was walking. I think, had I been driving, it would've felt slow, but the extra time walking to my ball helped.

In my opinion, a single in a cart should be done in ~2hrs, twosome in in 2.15, and 3/4some in 2.5hrs imo assuming nothing hindering them. I don't see how that balloons to 4.5hrs for courses where carts are the norm.

Another issue in my experience playing golf is LEAGUE Players. I avoid playing behind them by all means necessary.

Edit: Course design obviously factors into slow play as well. Par 3 as one of the first 2 holes doesn't help the situation much.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

The pro's walk, have someone carry their bag and are the best players (i.e. take the fewest shots per round)  in the world and I've never seen one finish a round in under 4 hours during a televised tournament.  I realize they are playing for millions of dollars but they take at least 20 less shots per round than I do!   I've also watched college tournaments where the average round took well over 4.5 hours.

If the top level players don't play in under 4 hours how do you expect a 36 handicap hack who hits every other ball in the woods to finish in 4 hours?

Joe Paradiso

The pro's walk, have someone carry their bag and are the best players (i.e. take the fewest shots per round)  in the world and I've never seen one finish a round in under 4 hours during a televised tournament.  I realize they are playing for millions of dollars but they take at least 20 less shots per round than I do!   I've also watched college tournaments where the average round took well over 4.5 hours.

If the top level players don't play in under 4 hours how do you expect a 36 handicap hack who hits every other ball in the woods to finish in 4 hours?

Because even though they get paid to play and you are paying to play they matter and you don't at all. You could probably take as long as you want. 7+ hour round and just let a group play through every hole.

James

A. b/c they walk

B. they have to play honors (I think)

C. they have to spend 5min looking for their ball

D. they do take too much time on and around the greens

E. they have to use yardage books

They could easily shave 30min off of their rounds by riding alone (probably closer to an hour); take another 15min off if they had gps/laser; another 20min around the greens; that's 1 to 1.5hrs right there.

A. b/c they walk

B. they have to play honors (I think)

C. they have to spend 5min looking for their ball

D. they do take too much time on and around the greens

E. they have to use yardage books

They could easily shave 30min off of their rounds by riding alone (probably closer to an hour); take another 15min off if they had gps/laser; another 20min around the greens; that's 1 to 1.5hrs right there.

A. So, walking is as fast if not faster per above

B. No, except in certain formats (i.e Ryder Cup)

C. They have forecaddies and a gallery watching their ball. They have a much, much, much, much, much easier time finding a wayward shot

D. yes they do but they sink more too. Probably a coincidence though.

E. Not every slow amateur uses a a GPS/Rangefinder. I guess more don't than do. And they haven't played practice rounds mapping out the course either.

James

• Administrator

B. No, except in certain formats (i.e Ryder Cup)

Yes they do. The Rules of Golf say that if you're farthest away you play first. They'll skip it sometimes (someone in a close bunker will blast before someone with a long putt, etc.) but that's about it.

C. They have forecaddies and a gallery watching their ball. They have a much, much, much, much, much easier time finding a wayward shot

They don't have forecaddies.

D. yes they do but they sink more too. Probably a coincidence though.

Not really very many more, no. And when they make a six-footer that an am misses, the am just taps in. Hardly takes that much more time.

E. Not every slow amateur uses a a GPS/Rangefinder. I guess more don't than do. And they haven't played practice rounds mapping out the course either.

Beside the point.

Also beside the point: pros are far, far too slow too. They have excuses ("we're playing for a lot of money") but that doesn't change that they are slow too. They're not a model for anything. They too are slow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!