IGNORED

"Correct" pace of play

flopster
Note: This thread is 3418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is a correct pace of play?

• 4 1/2 hours
    • keep up with group in front

With all due respect, I think blaming (For the lack of a better word) the PGA/Pros is a bit of a cop out.

1. I wouldn't blame a pro/anyone who takes his/her time lining up a significant par putt, but a hack dancing around his 4th double bogey putt on the front 9,  c'mon man.

2. Pros tend to have a bottleneck on par 5s  because almost all of them can hit the green in 2 shots. I've seen people 270+ out waiting for the green to clear...really, dude?

3. A pro will walk up to the green to examine his landing area for a chip/pitch, and with a high degree of consistency, he/she will hit that landing area. A 20-capper doing the same because he saw it on TV is just wasting time.

4. A pro gets 5 minutes to look for a ball, but he/she may play 10 rounds without losing a ball. The average amateur probably won't last 4 holes before losing his second ball depending on the course.

So pardon me for stating the obvious, but the pro games are a heck of a lot different from our games. Just sayin'

I'm not delusional, I realize I'm not a pro and that I'm not playing for millions of dollars but that doesn't change the fact every time I'm on the course I want to play my best.  Some members gamble some pretty high stakes in my club, so while it's not millions, pride and money are on the line.

I don't feel I need to rush my game play in order to meet some arbitrary time expectations that those behind me have.  Our club expects a round to take 4 hours or less so as long as I'm playing to that speed that should be good enough.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The choices are 4-1/2 hours or keeping up with the group in front. I want to play at a pace that is comfortable for the day. If I get behind a group of "Rabbits", that are out there just to get 18 holes in under a certain number because they can, then I'm letting them go. I'll play at whatever the PACE of the day might be. Not what SPEED the guys in front are playing.

With all due respect, I think blaming (For the lack of a better word) the PGA/Pros is a bit of a cop out.

1. I wouldn't blame a pro/anyone who takes his/her time lining up a significant par putt, but a hack dancing around his 4th double bogey putt on the front 9,  c'mon man.

2. Pros tend to have a bottleneck on par 5s  because almost all of them can hit the green in 2 shots. I've seen people 270+ out waiting for the green to clear...really, dude?

3. A pro will walk up to the green to examine his landing area for a chip/pitch, and with a high degree of consistency, he/she will hit that landing area. A 20-capper doing the same because he saw it on TV is just wasting time.

4. A pro gets 5 minutes to look for a ball, but he/she may play 10 rounds without losing a ball. The average amateur probably won't last 4 holes before losing his second ball depending on the course.

So pardon me for stating the obvious, but the pro games are a heck of a lot different from our games. Just sayin'

I want people to speed up too but these kinds of posts just irk me. I agree with number 2 and number 4 to a certain point. Number 1 and 3 are nonsense. If pros do that to score better then so should amateurs to try to score better with the game they have. You are basically saying you can't hit your spot so why aim at all. Sounds like a pretty enjoyable experience.

I am sure my post will just get some kind of "not on topic response" though. Blah, blah, blah.

The point is kind of being missed though. Thinking about it more there are just certain things that speed a player up and I am sure it's been posted on here. I think the biggest being everybody being ready to hit when it is their turn instead of watching the other players hit then prepping for their shot. If all 4 players do that it will be the slowest group. Another is people who wait until it's their turn to putt to put their ball back down on the green even if they are not in someones line.

James

The choices are 4-1/2 hours or keeping up with the group in front. I want to play at a pace that is comfortable for the day. If I get behind a group of "Rabbits", that are out there just to get 18 holes in under a certain number because they can, then I'm letting them go. I'll play at whatever the PACE of the day might be. Not what SPEED the guys in front are playing.

Unless they're the first group out, that group of "rabbits" ahead of you isn't playing any faster than the group(s) ahead of them.

If you don't keep up with that group ahead of you, you are the one setting the "pace of the day" for every single group behind you.....and it's now much slower than it was before.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Unless they're the first group out, that group of "rabbits" ahead of you isn't playing any faster than the group(s) ahead of them.

If you don't keep up with that group ahead of you, you are the one setting the "pace of the day" for every single group behind you.....and it's now much slower than it was before.

They could be the first group out or they could be a 2-some and I'm part of a 4-some.  I try to finish in 4 hours, that is the metric our club holds the members to.  If you want to play speed golf and there's room in front of us, I'll wave you through, otherwise get an early tee time or expect a 4 hour round.

Joe Paradiso

They could be the first group out or they could be a 2-some and I'm part of a 4-some.  I try to finish in 4 hours, that is the metric our club holds the members to.  If you want to play speed golf and there's room in front of us, I'll wave you through, otherwise get an early tee time or expect a 4 hour round.

I mentioned the first group out, but other than that, unless they play through, at best, all that group ahead of you is doing is keeping up with the group(s) ahead of them.  Even if they do play through, you should quickly and naturally fall into position behind the group that they went through and continue to maintain position behind them......and it doesn't matter if they're a 2-some or an 8-some.  If any group, at any speed, isn't keeping up with the group(s) ahead, they're slowing down the whole course proportionately.

In David's bag....

I'm not delusional, I realize I'm not a pro and that I'm not playing for millions of dollars but that doesn't change the fact every time I'm on the course I want to play my best.  Some members gamble some pretty high stakes in my club, so while it's not millions, pride and money are on the line.

I don't feel I need to rush my game play in order to meet some arbitrary time expectations that those behind me have.  Our club expects a round to take 4 hours or less so as long as I'm playing to that speed that should be good enough.

Great if you're already playing within the pace, then you're good. Do whatever helps your game while keeping pace.

I want people to speed up too but these kinds of posts just irk me. I agree with number 2 and number 4 to a certain point. Number 1 and 3 are nonsense. If pros do that to score better then so should amateurs to try to score better with the game they have. You are basically saying you can't hit your spot so why aim at all. Sounds like a pretty enjoyable experience.

I am sure my post will just get some kind of "not on topic response" though. Blah, blah, blah.

The point is kind of being missed though. Thinking about it more there are just certain things that speed a player up and I am sure it's been posted on here. I think the biggest being everybody being ready to hit when it is their turn instead of watching the other players hit then prepping for their shot. If all 4 players do that it will be the slowest group. Another is people who wait until it's their turn to putt to put their ball back down on the green even if they are not in someones line.

That part of my comment that saying "Just because he saw it on TV"...that's the key part. If it's something you practice, please go for it.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I mentioned the first group out, but other than that, unless they play through, at best, all that group ahead of you is doing is keeping up with the group(s) ahead of them.  Even if they do play through, you should quickly and naturally fall into position behind the group that they went through and continue to maintain position behind them......and it doesn't matter if they're a 2-some or an 8-some.  If any group, at any speed, isn't keeping up with the group(s) ahead, they're slowing down the whole course proportionately.

Well then I'll be slowing down the course because as part of a 4-some I'm not going to try to keep pace with a 2-some.

Joe Paradiso

Unless they're the first group out, that group of "rabbits" ahead of you isn't playing any faster than the group(s) ahead of them. If you don't keep up with that group ahead of you, you are the one setting the "pace of the day" for every single group behind you.....and it's now much slower than it was before.

I'm not speeding around in 2 hours because someone ELSE is doing it for no other reason than to brag at the clubhouse about getting around in 2 hours. I didn't say I was was lumping around at a 6 hour pace slowing everyone else down, either. I've been behind, in front, and played with "Rabbits" on days when the PACE dictates 4+ hours. They will constantly hit up on the group in front, then barely wait for the group to clear the green. Finish putting out, and race to the next tee only to do it again. One guy even hit onto a par three we were playing without being waved up. THAT was not a pleasant experience for him. My point has always been if the PACE of play that day is 3.5, 4 or 4.5+, don't expect to be able to play in less than those numbers. There was a thread a few months ago about this (as usual) and a poster said he didn't want to join a threesome so he could play as a single on a crowded weekend. Why? Did he expect EVERYONE to get out of his way because HE wanted to play in 3 hours or less on a full course? If there's no place open to go, you will wait and wind up playing in whatever everyone else is playing at. You tell the guy at the desk that "I want to play as a single" on a day like that and he will tell you, either: "No, join a 2some or 3 some or don't play", OR: "Sure, and will you be paying for all 4 spots in that group?" And as for GPS in carts, that still doesn't help if nobody is out there to keep on the offenders. During a recent trip to Myrtle Beach, the cart said we were 16 minutes behind at the 7th hole. Useless information since we were keeping up/waiting on the group in front of us.And they were keeping up/waiting the group in front of them. Somewhere out there was a group slowing everyone down. That number kept getting larger until we were "25 minutes behind" by the time we finished. Still finished in 4:25- which, for this NYC area boy, seemed like a sprint. And all that notification with no Ranger in sight.

Well then I'll be slowing down the course because as part of a 4-some I'm not going to try to keep pace with a 2-some.

Nor should you, if that 2-some is all alone in front of you.  But generally, they're going to be right behind the 4-some in front of them.  They can't go any faster than the pace of play themselves.....

That's why I try like hell to get a full 4-some on the weekend.  Playing as 2, or even 3 when the pace of play is dictated by the 4-somes on the course can make for a long day.

In David's bag....

If the group or groups ahead of me are running off and leaving me, but my group is running off and leaving the group behind, my group is not slowing anybody down.

I would like to see normal golfers try to keep pace with the 12:30 group where I used to play. The game usually had 4 or 5 foursomes and they almost always were done in less than 2 hours. They played "inside the leather", "roll the ball in the fairway", and "pick up after a bogey". On an OB ball they didn't play it as a lateral but simply picked it up and sat out the rest of the hole.

Nobody in their right minds tried to keep pace with them.

P.S. I slowed them down to 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 hours whenever I played with them. When I wasn't playing with them I got the hell out of their way and then resumed my round.

Nor should you, if that 2-some is all alone in front of you.  But generally, they're going to be right behind the 4-some in front of them.  They can't go any faster than the pace of play themselves.....

That's why I try like hell to get a full 4-some on the weekend.  Playing as 2, or even 3 when the pace of play is dictated by the 4-somes on the course can make for a long day.

They we're in agreement :beer:

If there's room I'll wave a 2-some to play through if there is room and they are waiting on us but it's rare to be sandwiched between 2 2-somes.

Joe Paradiso

My sentiments exactly. Although, I did answer keeping up. It should be qualified with, if it is a reasonable pace.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tend to agree.  I feel that PGA Tour broadcasts should begin with the disclaimer "Do not try this at home!  What you are about to see is not indicative of proper course behavior.  Imitating a pro can lead to long rounds, harassment by the course rangers, and possible violent and painful reactions from your playing companions.  Play ready golf!" :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

They we're in agreement

If there's room I'll wave a 2-some to play through if there is room and they are waiting on us but it's rare to be sandwiched between 2 2-somes.

Why just a 2-some?  If there's anyone waiting, and there's room in front, they should be allowed through.

There's nothing more frustrating than a group who's holding other players up who won't let them through because to their mind, they're playing at an acceptable pace.  Anyone can play at any pace they like, but faster players should always be allowed through when there's room to do so.

FWIW.....the only thing that bothers me more than waiting on a slow group ahead of me, is being pushed by a faster group behind me.  The last thing I want is to be staring back at them, giving me the stink-eye all day.  I'll get out of their way at the very first chance I have.

In David's bag....

Why just a 2-some?  If there's anyone waiting, and there's room in front, they should be allowed through.  There's nothing more frustrating than a group who's holding other players up who won't let them through because to their mind, they're playing at an acceptable pace.  Anyone can play at any pace they like, but faster players should always be allowed through when there's room to do so. FWIW.....the only thing that bothers me more than waiting on a slow group ahead of me, is being pushed by a faster group behind me.  The last thing I want is to be staring back at them, giving me the stink-eye all day.  I'll get out of their way at the very first chance I have.

I let a group that was hitting into us pass by. Then they almost got into a serious fight with the party holding us up. Kind of ironic, I think.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

In my experience not many people try to copy PGA Tour players with regards for how much time they take before their preshot routines and in some instance how long the preshot routine is. I would say 95-98% of the people I play golf with or have seen play golf,  do not take nearly as much time as PGA Tour players take.

Maybe the only time I do see it is on the greens. I think people are more likely to spend more time over a putt than over other shots.

Now what I see more off is sitting around watching your cart partner hit a ball. Not going over to their own ball and playing ready golf. Waiting on the green to clear when their 2nd shot is way farther than their drive. Just playing bad golf that they have to look for a golf ball on every other hole. I think these are what cause slow play then what actually a golfer does from their preshot routine to hitting the ball.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I let a group that was hitting into us pass by. Then they almost got into a serious fight with the party holding us up. Kind of ironic, I think.

LOL.....now that's entertainment. ;-)

Asshats like that give a lot of faster players a bad rap!  There's NEVER an excuse to actually hit into someone.

There's nothing wrong with hitting when you know that it's safe to do so though.  I've seen people get upset because someone played an approach shot up towards the green while they were still putting, even though the shot played had absolutely no intent nor possibility to get to actually get to the green.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!