IGNORED

BIg Break Myrtle Beach (Fall 2014 Golf Channel)

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My bruv saw the show for the first time a day or two ago. He concluded the Anthony guy is a scham.

Reality shows, by now, ought to be taken with a a grain of salt. Do you guys think this is straight up?

He can play golf, so no, he's not an actor.  But producers of reality shows are the real stars because they are the ones that find these insane types of people, and fit them well into a show where there'll be plenty of drama.  Plus the people that want to be on these shows may ham it up as well, for the opportunity to be on tv (and of course possibly win).

Anthony said something in the last show.. when heading for elimination he remarked that if he loses, "everyone will have a right to hate me".  So he's self-aware enough to know some of what he's doing.  I'm unsure if he really knows he's a d-bag and instead is playing up to being the 'bad guy', or if he's truly a d-bag and believes this is how the gentlemen's (and lady's) game of golf is supposed to be played.

He's entertaining, but I'm ready to see him get kicked off the show.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

If Anthony is kicked off will the show be even less entertaining? How good is Christian? Jimmy seems like the weakest player of the guys that are left? Honestly, this season is kinda boring me. I am not like most people. I watch more for the infighting and personal dynamics than watching the players just play golf.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

If Anthony is kicked off will the show be even less entertaining? How good is Christian? Jimmy seems like the weakest player of the guys that are left? Honestly, this season is kinda boring me. I am not like most people. I watch more for the infighting and personal dynamics than watching the players just play golf.

Yah boring! I'm a fan of Paige (the host), but she's so dry. The hosts cringed over Katy's chip on the par 5, and it was great! Why don't they edit that stuff out? Christian has been laying low for sure, squeaking by, avoiding the elimination round. Jimmy might be better than Christian, but he keeps barely surviving it seems. Jimmy reminds me of Rickie Fowler and Katy reminded me of Zach Johnson last night. Lol I think Tessa might win this thing. She's not great, but none of the guys are blowing us away yet. It seems like the course has short red tees, giving the ladies shorter approach shots. I think Jimmy bombed one last night, and the ladies still had 20-30yds less left on an approach. The course looks open, so whoever is hitting shorter approaches may have the advantage. We shall see.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Anthony is kicked off will the show be even less entertaining?

Most definitely.  Weird little Catch-22 for those who really want to root against him, huh?  Once you "win" and he's gone ... how what?  It's funny because when he's not pulling his shenanigans, he seems like a pretty decent kid.  (Like in his confessionals)

How good is Christian?

No idea.  I haven't seen him play much yet.

Jimmy seems like the weakest player of the guys that are left?

Based on the last couple of weeks, I agree.

Honestly, this season is kinda boring me.

Yeah, nothing really stands out much except Anthony.  No seemingly exceptional swings, no really shitty swings, it's all just kinda ... blah.

Yeah, nothing really stands out much except Anthony.  No seemingly exceptional swings, no really shitty swings, it's all just kinda ... blah.

that first episode it seemed we had some decent hitters, now it's just kind of settled into pretty much the same as previous shows.....

waiting for a few someones to step up and start playing better....

womens' short tees (or short tees in general) - seriously true - but that's in every big break, so not surprised - another reason we should be seeing much better results than we have been

Bill - 

Anthony still isolates himself from the group but continues to demonstrate he can make great shots under pressure.   I think he could make it to the end just because the others are afraid of his game at this point.

Christian and Jimmy seem to be the worst guys left and both have been lucky to get this far.

The BB'ers continue to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Katy should have never missed the 6' uphill putt on the 2nd hole after Tessa gave her the read, she choked.   Tessa made the best of the 2nd chance but it's Katy's fault for giving the 2nd chance to her.

Joe Paradiso

Christian and Jimmy seem to be the worst guys left and both have been lucky to get this far.

Look at you with the prediction for the following week!

Too bad it wasn't a more competitive elimination challenge.

Look at you with the prediction for the following week!

Too bad it wasn't a more competitive elimination challenge.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. :-D

On that same note, I thought to myself when Christian hooked those shots left during the closest to the line challenge that he better either fix his swing or get immunity because if he ended up in elimination he'd be in trouble.   I was hoping Christian would catch up on the 2nd hole but when I saw him trying the between the legs shot I knew it was over.  Is there a reason he didn't take a proper stance with one foot in the water other than not wanting to get his feet wet?

Charlie looks like the one to beat at this point.  Anthony continues to impress with his unique approach to shots.  Who'd have a thought a kid that young would carry a 2i in his bag?

Joe Paradiso

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

On that same note, I thought to myself when Christian hooked those shots left during the closest to the line challenge that he better either fix his swing or get immunity because if he ended up in elimination he'd be in trouble.   I was hoping Christian would catch up on the 2nd hole but when I saw him trying the between the legs shot I knew it was over.  Is there a reason he didn't take a proper stance with one foot in the water other than not wanting to get his feet wet?

Charlie looks like the one to beat at this point.  Anthony continues to impress with his unique approach to shots.  Who'd have a thought a kid that young would carry a 2i in his bag?

I'm going to guess that it probably dropped off pretty good at the water level.  Either that, or he had half given up and half didn't want to get his feet wet.  I like it ... thought it made the lame finish a little more entertaining .... well, it would have if he would have been able to get it on the green. :)

Agree that Charlie seems the most seasoned and is probably the favorite.  Charlie/Anthony finale, perhaps?  (The girl with the dark hair - her name slips my mind right now - is pretty solid too, especially with her distance advantage)

I'm going to guess that it probably dropped off pretty good at the water level.  Either that, or he had half given up and half didn't want to get his feet wet.  I like it ... thought it made the lame finish a little more entertaining .... well, it would have if he would have been able to get it on the green. :)

Agree that Charlie seems the most seasoned and is probably the favorite.  Charlie/Anthony finale, perhaps?  (The girl with the dark hair - her name slips my mind right now - is pretty solid too, especially with her distance advantage)

I agree, she hits it pretty long.  I laughed at the comments about Toph needing to hit the gym.  He's going to have a tough time making the tour with a <230 yard 3W.

Joe Paradiso

I'm going out on a limb here, and say that Emily, and Charlie will be in the final. Although Anthony is good, he has a tendency to hit some crazy shots, and will be gone likely after Toph, and Jimmy. I believe Emily has the best game among the ladies.

I'm going out on a limb here, and say that Emily, and Charlie will be in the final. Although Anthony is good, he has a tendency to hit some crazy shots, and will be gone likely after Toph, and Jimmy. I believe Emily has the best game among the ladies.

I'm thinking we are underestimating Jimmy. I think the guy is steady so far, even if he wins none of the immunity challenges. He's been tested in elimination challenges, and he just keeps his cool. No drama. His pro record is more extensive than Toph/Anthony, and nearly on par with Charlie from a quick look at past tourney records.

Charlie is riding high and always seems to deliver, but anyone can have bad challenge or two (remember Sadena- she was dominating at this point last season, and didn't even come close to making final group).

Jimmy could be this season's Jackie, playing second fiddle to Charlie's Sadena- looking unbeatable right up to the point where he gets beat. Then Jackie suddenly looked the best.

I agree Emily is probably stronger than Tessa, but not by a huge margin. I think either of the ladies could sneak away with this thing if the final challenge holes give a big advantage on the red tees.

I'll go with my picks:

1. Jimmy (just to be contrarian)

2. Tessa

3. Charlie

4. Emily

5. Anthony

6. Toph

I'm usually last in my office pools, so I'll likely be waaaaaaay off. It's fun to go down with underdog picks though.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm thinking we are underestimating Jimmy. I think the guy is steady so far, even if he wins none of the immunity challenges. He's been tested in elimination challenges, and he just keeps his cool. No drama. His pro record is more extensive than Toph/Anthony, and nearly on par with Charlie from a quick look at past tourney records.

Charlie is riding high and always seems to deliver, but anyone can have bad challenge or two (remember Sadena- she was dominating at this point last season, and didn't even come close to making final group).

Jimmy could be this season's Jackie, playing second fiddle to Charlie's Sadena- looking unbeatable right up to the point where he gets beat. Then Jackie suddenly looked the best.

I agree Emily is probably stronger than Tessa, but not by a huge margin. I think either of the ladies could sneak away with this thing if the final challenge holes give a big advantage on the red tees.

I'll go with my picks:

1. Jimmy (just to be contrarian)

2. Tessa

3. Charlie

4. Emily

5. Anthony

6. Toph

I'm usually last in my office pools, so I'll likely be waaaaaaay off. It's fun to go down with underdog picks though.

You could be right about Jimmy. He does seem to always make through the immunity deals.  We'll see.. :-D

I know im 1 show late about this but did anyone else feel like Katy acted like a lil baby after being picked by Tess?She was pissed because tess picked her over a guy.What female is going to choose playing a male over a female?I know the women play shorter tee but I don't see any pro tours mixed sexes.

I know im 1 show late about this but did anyone else feel like Katy acted like a lil baby after being picked by Tess?She was pissed because tess picked her over a guy.What female is going to choose playing a male over a female?I know the women play shorter tee but I don't see any pro tours mixed sexes.

We've seen this in past Big Breaks as well, some of the women think they need to stick together against the men and take it personal if one calls out the other.  The problem in these shows is friendships get formed (or preexisted going on the show) and some forget that this is an individual competition that only one person wins.  I think Katy was more upset because she didn't think she could beat Tess and Tess chose her.

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="Aflighter" url="/t/77518/big-break-myrtle-beach-fall-2014-golf-channel/30_30#post_1076976"]   I know im 1 show late about this but did anyone else feel like Katy acted like a lil baby after being picked by Tess?She was pissed because tess picked her over a guy.What female is going to choose playing a male over a female?I know the women play shorter tee but I don't see any pro tours mixed sexes. [/QUOTE] We've seen this in past Big Breaks as well, some of the women think they need to stick together against the men and take it personal if one calls out the other.  The problem in these shows is friendships get formed (or preexisted going on the show) and some forget that this is an individual competition that only one person wins.  I think Katy was more upset because she didn't think she could beat Tess and Tess chose her.

Plus an interesting dynamic with those two. Tessa and Katy played together in a Women's US Open I think I heard. They bonded about injuries they were dealing with. I think Tessa sized Katy up from that round previously and felt confident she could win. Says Tessa is not afraid to put aside friendship and go for the jugular to some degree.

My Swing

I had an almost identical scenario in my mens club event last weekend. My tee shot on a par 3 spun backwards off the fringe on a downslope towards a bunker. It stopped in a tuft of grass about an inch from the bunker lip, leaving me no stance whatsoever. My first inclination was to do exactly what Christian did - straddle the ball facing away from the hole and try a circus shot between my legs. After giving it some thought, my next inclination was "you idiot, why in the hell would you try that? You have practiced that shot exactly zero times, and you're just as likely to crack yourself in the nuts as you are to hit it on the green."

Fortunately, reason and logic prevailed. I stepped into the bunker, choked way down on the club (as the ball was now set near my waist height) and took an awkward swing. The shot was marginal at best, but it got me onto the green with about an 18 foot attempt at par.

My point being that if Christian really thought he still had a chance, he should have taken off his shoes and socks and gone into the water. By trying the between the legs trick shot, he was basically waving the white flag, IMO.

Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!