IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

Seems reasonable ... But that "someone" still has to be an infected person who is showing symptoms.

Well in the case of Dr. Craig Spencer, he stated that the day he went out that he was feeling "fatigue and exhaustion" but no fever.  In my opinion, given the circumstances, fatigue and exhaustion are early symptoms of Ebola.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

The quarantine is totally unnecessary for the military, but I have less of a problem with it than I do with civilians who are not symptomatic and trying to get on with their lives.

Originally Posted by MS256

Right there is where you and I are on separate planets.

Members of my family that are still in the military enjoy getting on with their lives just as much as anybody else. They sacrifice time away from their young kids by choice out of a duty to their country but are no less happy to get home to their wives and kids.

Actually, we are not. I agree that the military should not have to go through this protocol based on nothing but fear. But the military IS different from the general public. They can't refuse the order or petition courts.

Well in the case of Dr. Craig Spencer, he stated that the day he went out that he was feeling "fatigue and exhaustion" but no fever.  In my opinion, given the circumstances, fatigue and exhaustion are early symptoms of Ebola.

Thank you, Doctor. Carry on.

Bill M

Says the guy who's been acting like an expert but has been wrong on just about everything they think they know about Ebola.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Says the guy who's been acting like an expert but has been wrong on just about everything they think they know about Ebola.

EEEK!!! :scared: EBOLA!!!!

Bill M

EEEK!!!  EBOLA!!!!

Holy crap, look at the tires on that guys bike.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

From The Onion (just as credible a news source as any other internet site).

http://www.theonion.com/articles/how-ebola-quarantine-works,37310/

Quote:

How Ebola Quarantine Works

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

EEEK!!!  EBOLA!!!!

Holy crap, look at the tires on that guys bike.

That is a winter bike.  It's for riding in snow.  They have that a lot in Maine.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Off to play golf, so I'm out of here. but you all stay afraid.

I wonder if my Goretex rain gear stops Ebola?

I'm only skimming this thread, but "stay afraid"? Really?

You're a mature, fully grown adult human being, are you not?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What I'd like to see the CDC publish, if they haven't already, is a risk chart with statistics for the different types of exposure. An attempt to clarify theoretical risks based on the what they know.

Dave :-)

What I'd like to see the CDC publish, if they haven't already, is a risk chart with statistics for the different types of exposure. An attempt to clarify theoretical risks based on the what they know.

I agree that would be helpful but it seems that there are too many variables to consider in order to make it have any value.  For example, a guy coughs and droplets land on a door knob, the variables would be;

• how sick the person was
  • how big the droplets are
  • how long after the cough another person touched the door knob
  • what the person did after touching the door knob, bit their finger, ate with their hands, rubbed their eye, etc

How can you evaluate the risk when there are so many variables that could affect it.  I think the new poster was done so people understood that while it's not airborne, droplets that land on surfaces remain infected for about a day and can cause Ebola to spread depending on what the person that comes in contact with the droplet does.

Joe Paradiso

Says the guy who's been acting like an expert ...

Seriously?  Then you haven't been paying attention.  The argument on this side of the table from the very start has been that we are listening to what the experts are saying and trusting them.

1. Ebola is only transmittable from direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person.
  2. A travel ban isn't necessary and is actually quite possibly detrimental.

What has phan said where he has ignored something from an actual experts mouth and made something up?  Oh I don't know, something as ridiculous as ....

In my opinion, given the circumstances, fatigue and exhaustion are early symptoms of Ebola.

Are you kidding me???  In your opinion??  So who, exactly, is painting themselves as the "expert" now?

... but has been wrong on just about everything they think they know about Ebola.

And you don't get to just say shit like this and get away with it.  What has he been wrong about?

I agree that would be helpful but it seems that there are too many variables to consider in order to make it have any value.  For example, a guy coughs and droplets land on a door knob, the variables would be;

how sick the person was

how big the droplets are

how long after the cough another person touched the door knob

what the person did after touching the door knob, bit their finger, ate with their hands, rubbed their eye, etc

How can you evaluate the risk when there are so many variables that could affect it.  I think the new poster was done so people understood that while it's not airborne, droplets that land on surfaces remain infected for about a day and can cause Ebola to spread depending on what the person that comes in contact with the droplet does.

That's usually not how it works. My guess is with ebola the viral load probably doesn't vary much while the subject is in the acute stage until they start receiving treatment. The stats would be based on worse case scenario, that's the way the CDC publishes info. How much is not as big a factor as how exposed. For example having sex with infected subject where virus comes in direct contact with mucous membrane far more risky than casual contact with virus exposed to air where the primary contact point is skin. Autoinoculation isn't as easy as it seems and what hasn't been mentioned here and what is always a factor in outside of body infection is how well a virus can retain it's original form and what contaminants can weaken it's ability to infect. Even exposure to air can alter virus DNA. Typically with the CDC risk charts are how many infections per exposures and it's rarely 1:1. I think people may not be as fearful if they saw something published saying casual contact with dried virus on public surfaces is 10 per 10000 or whatever they have determined it is.

Seriously?  Then you haven't been paying attention.  The argument on this side of the table from the very start has been that we are listening to what the experts are saying and trusting them.

Ebola is only transmittable from direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person.

A travel ban isn't necessary and is actually quite possibly detrimental.

What has phan said where he has ignored something from an actual experts mouth and made something up?  Oh I don't know, something as ridiculous as ....

Are you kidding me???  In your opinion??  So who, exactly, is painting themselves as the "expert" now?

1. Bodily fluids that are left on surfaces can also be sources of infection.
  2. Our country hasn't instituted a travel ban, but other countries have.

When someone says their opinion, that's what it is.  Where does it say I'm an expert.  You have plenty of opinions that I don't agree with.  I could be like you and phan and just make statements without the qualifier if you prefer.

Joe Paradiso

When someone says their opinion, that's what it is.  Where does it say I'm an expert.  You have plenty of opinions that I don't agree with.  I could be like you and phan and just make statements without the qualifier if you prefer.

The pre-qualifier, in this case, doesn't mean anything.  I don't have a personal opinion on exactly how you get Ebola, I defer to the experts.  You shun the experts and say "in my opinion, you can transmit ebola when you're fatigued, despite what the CDC says."  That's the guy who is painting himself as an expert.  Not the guy who simply listens to those who know.

In my opinion, the sky is purple.  In my opinion, the Royals just won the World Series last night.  In my opinion, measles vaccinations give you autism.

You can say "in my opinion" til the cows come home, but it doesn't mean that you're not talking out of your ass.

The pre-qualifier, in this case, doesn't mean anything.  I don't have a personal opinion on exactly how you get Ebola, I defer to the experts.  You shun the experts and say "in my opinion, you can transmit ebola when you're fatigued, despite what the CDC says."  That's the guy who is painting himself as an expert.  Not the guy who simply listens to those who know.

In my opinion, the sky is purple.  In my opinion, the Royals just won the World Series last night.  In my opinion, measles vaccinations give you autism.

You can say "in my opinion" til the cows come home, but it doesn't mean that you're not talking out of your ass.

From the CDC since you seem unwilling to read them yourself;

Symptoms of Ebola include

• Fever
  • Severe headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)

Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola, but the average is 8 to 10 days.

I highlighted weakness for you, so you can see that it is a symptom of Ebola and since the doctor claimed to be fatigued and exhausted before he went all over the city I'd say he was symptomatic given it's been confirmed he has Ebola.

Joe Paradiso

But, are fatigue and exhaustion considered symptoms of ebola? If they are then what he said has merit, if they aren't then what he said has no merit.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

But, are fatigue and exhaustion considered symptoms of ebola? If they are then what he said has merit, if they aren't then what he said has no merit.

Fatigue and exhaustion are symptoms for pretty much every condition under the sun from stress to cancer. Most MD's will say they never diagnose based on symptoms alone for anything because of this.

Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!