IGNORED

Golf swing analyzers?

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm hearing about these gadgets, and most of them are for iPhone. This one also works with Android. I'm thinking of getting one to use during and in between my lessons. I'm wondering if they can help me work on consistency since I can't afford $60 lessons twice a week. Thoughts?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

High speed video would be a better way to go IMO.  You can film your practices and compare them to the lessons.  I have not used the swing analyzers you mention, but film a lot of my practice. The iPhone 6 does 240fps high speed filming.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You can purchase analyzer on this website. Which is a swing analyzing program for Mac's. The student version is 60 or 70 dollars and works great. If you buy a tripod you can record your swing with your phone (unless it's a old smart phone or a flip phone). I have a galaxy s5 which has slow motion recording Even in real time it take good enough video to see everything your going to need to see.

Check out the V1 app.  I take video on my phone at 120fps, then import it into the V1 app on my andriod.

On my computer (mac) I use Analyzr, but if you're on a PC there is a V1 program for that, too.

Also, if you want lessons, check out online lessons like Evolvr.  They're cheaper, more convenient, and IMO probably more effective than live lessons most of the time.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Looks like a pretty good device for the money.  I don't see it as a replacement for video, but certainly as a nice complement to it for those that don't have access to a Trackman or Flightscope.....

But, he says he's hitting a draw, and the Trackman supported that, but the GSA shows an "open" face angle and a "square" swing path.  That would indicate a cut, no.....?

@iacas and @mvmac ?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The 3Bays is the only one I've seen that seems to have a reliable Android support, and I have a Galaxy S5, considering I have Win 7 computers. Apple products don't interface well with Windows stuff. While I can set up a tripod at the range I really don't want to hassle with it. I'd rather just hand my phone to my coach and have him take a video to show me what I'm doing. That way he can make sure the camera is lined up, and I can concentrate on swinging the club rather than worrying about take one, nope, take 2, nope, take 3, etc. It's like recording yourself playing music. Your focus is divided.

I can see if I'm hitting a draw. The open - square while trackman indicating could be that he didn't have the thing lined up exactly. But the numbers I'm really interested in are tempo, consistency, club head speed, and carry yds.

Honestly, I think video is more important when you're in the process of fixing a swing. Although this thing does diagram your swing. I've learned something in my days on this planet is that we can easily figure out when things went wrong. What I want to know is those moments of what happened when everything went right. I want to see that so I know what to do the next time.

Like that moment when I was working on that swing change yesterday and smacked the ball with my six iron 175 on a beautiful trajectory - what did I do to make that happen? See it, repeat it, instead of guessing.

I don't have access to a Trackman. There are two facilities that have one in the area and they're 60 miles from me. I went to the Trackman site.

Julia

Spoiler

IMO, all of these things are a complete waste of time. I had a swingbyte 2 which I recently sold because I used it for about 20 mins once and then never again. Unless you have a coach that can tell you specifically what you want to try and achieve (in terms of numbers the gizmo reports) then there is no direction as to what is a good number to try and aim for. They give you ranges for the fields that are reported but if you are inside them already but still hit it crap then what do you do?

Cool from a geek perspective but in the real world no help whatsoever. My 2c anyway.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Just a quick ?, why would you take 2 lessons in 1 weeks time...?  Can you make changes that fast ? or am I just that slow..? :-D

Just a quick ?, why would you take 2 lessons in 1 weeks time...?  Can you make changes that fast ? or am I just that slow..?:-D

I was thinking the same thing. It's taken me 1 month to work on the same drill and I'm not sure if I even have it right.

I got the skypro for Christmas last year and I like it even though I haven't used it a whole lot. It's nice because it uses your phone to calibrate to the face of the club so you don't have to eyeball alignment. It has some pretty cool features, like groove where you try to hit the correct position 10 times, and you can even use it with your putter. Unfortunately for android users it doesn't have an android version yet, but the founders of it post on another forum I'm on and they are working on the android version so it may be out soon. Also you don't have to use a ball with it you can just brush the carpet and it will register your swing.

I was thinking the same thing. It's taken me 1 month to work on the same drill and I'm not sure if I even have it right.

Ha...I hear ya...I still work on keys, 1, 2, and 3...alot, and that's been since May...lol

Oh, sorry for the OT..

Just a quick ?, why would you take 2 lessons in 1 weeks time...?  Can you make changes that fast ? or am I just that slow..?

I think you got me wrong. I plan to take one lesson every two - three weeks or so. ;-) I'm planning to go to the driving range twice a week... maybe 3x if I feel like it if the weather is nice. Dream on... I'm in Washington. So twice a week for practice + a lesson every 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

Julia

Spoiler

I think you got me wrong. I plan to take one lesson every two - three weeks or so.   I'm planning to go to the driving range twice a week... maybe 3x if I feel like it if the weather is nice. Dream on... I'm in Washington. So twice a week for practice + a lesson every 3 weeks.

Well, you did say lessons twice a week... :-P The above is more like it. Plus, I was kinda giving you a hard time.. :beer:

I've read good things about 3 Bays GSA ... if it works for you, give it a review.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!