IGNORED

How Would You Play It? (12th Hole at Capital Hills)

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I think this is another unique hole.

It's a 492 yard par 5.

Do you go over the trees on the right to try and get to the greens in two?  Maybe @colin007 can give a better estimate as to how tall those trees are if it factors into the equations for you but I would say they're roughly 30 feet tall.  If you don't, then I think it's a pretty straight forward hole.

According to the site, "the green is long and has a small shelf in the back left quarter of the surface," so, it's a two tiered green.  If you don't go for it in two and have a wedge in, do you attack pin no matter where it is, only attack it if it's in a certain location, or just play to hit the center of the green.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't go over the trees. They're too far and too tall. Very very tough hole if you can't cut the ball. Can't tell you how many times I've hit a double cross hook into the woods when I've tried to line up left and hit a cut.

Colin P.

Can't go over the trees. They're too far and too tall.

Very very tough hole if you can't cut the ball. Can't tell you how many times I've hit a double cross hook into the woods when I've tried to line up left and hit a cut.

Believe it or not, I tried it once an I actually made it through once but I suspect I got lucky as I'm almost certain it went through and hit some leaves and branches on the little tree but the ball came down basically on the line I hit it.  That said, I didn't have a shot from where I landed to try and go for the green..

Christian

@RFKFREAK

You can pull the Google Earth photo into MS Word and draw right on it.  Nothing against your artwork, but it makes it easier for us to understand the hole.  Example below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@RFKFREAK , You can pull the Google Earth photo into MS Word and draw right on it.  Nothing against your artwork, but it makes it easier for us to understand the hole.  Example below. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/111659/] [/URL]

Yah, that was brought up to me before and I said that I had already done this sketch for my own mapping purposes which for me is easier but that moving forward for these kinds of posts I would.

Christian

If it was my game, I would aim just inside the cart path on the right and try to hit a push to push fade. No need to go over the forest directly. If I hit it straight then I should end up near the rough through the fairway.

If I hit it about 50 yards shorter then I would aim more the right edge of the fairway with the same plan.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From the tee I'd use my driver and wind up short of the bunkers and left but hopefully still in the fairway. It goes about 190 yards. I wouldn't even consider trying to cut the corner and make it over the trees on the right side.

Second shot would be with my 3W, goes about 180 yards and lands to the right side of the fairway. This should put me 120 yards out or so.

My third shot I'd duff and only hit the ball 20 yards if I was lucky. This is with my 8 iron.

My fourth shot would be with my PW and land in the middle of the green.

Putting for par, I'd push it left and leave it short misjudging the break.

Bogey attempt would be closer to the hole but still left.

Double bogey would finally land in the hole.

• Upvote 1

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

Bad hole for me, definitely 3 shot par 5 and likely would be chipping on with 4th shot. For me trouble is on the left. There is at tght, short par 5 here and I hit two 5 irons and pitch on.

Dave :-)

This hole forces me to play a certain way, so the decision-making is a little easier.

I'm assuming we're not playing from the back tees? It's 260 to the front bunker on the left, so I'm looking to hit short of that. Either 3w or 2h off the tee, depending on how I'm hitting the ball that day. Not going to get too aggressive on the dogleg because of that big tree on the right.

This is where I'm looking to put it:

Second shot will be largely based on how well I hit the drive, but the object is to get it near the green, short of the bunkers for an easy pitch/chip up and putt(s). That would be another 3w or 2h.

I'm looking to make no worse than 6 on this hole. It's a makeable par.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One of those holes! My normal tee shot is a draw, so it depends on how well I was hitting the ball that day.

Good Driving Day...

If I'm hitting the ball well, I would try to fade a drive away from the left side of the fairway. Then, I would not try for the green in two unless I could fly the ball in. If it's iffy, I would hit a 7W rather than a 4W, getting inside 50 yards but not in a bunker.

Not So Good Driving Day...

If a not so good day, I would lay up to the corner with a 4W or 7W, even if the tree on right partially blocks. I don't want to risk a driver hook into the treeline, a sure big number.

If I hit the fairway with a layup, it's anything from a 4W to 6i going up the hill. Club choice depends on how close I am to crowding from the tree on the right.

Of course I want my third, terminal approach to be from the fairway. But, I want to be up far enough I can see the flagstick. (You say that other than the dogleg, the hole is fairly straightforward. I'm assuming it is fairly level...)

The green looks like it will hold any shot with modest spin, so whatever wedge and swing the distance dictates.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

This hole forces me to play a certain way, so the decision-making is a little easier.

I'm assuming we're not playing from the back tees? It's 260 to the front bunker on the left, so I'm looking to hit short of that. Either 3w or 2h off the tee, depending on how I'm hitting the ball that day. Not going to get too aggressive on the dogleg because of that big tree on the right.

This is where I'm looking to put it:

Second shot will be largely based on how well I hit the drive, but the object is to get it near the green, short of the bunkers for an easy pitch/chip up and putt(s). That would be another 3w or 2h.

I'm looking to make no worse than 6 on this hole. It's a makeable par.

Looks pretty straightforward to make a par on this hole. The worst case is to hit two 6 irons then a 9i or wedge I guess. It's not the hardest hole at an 11 handicap, plus the only obstacles are those two thin looking trees on the right, so I'm guessing driver is still possible?

I would really need to see pictures from the tee box to get any kind of idea of how I would play it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, @RFKFREAK isn't...

Dude, really, mooching off jpgs that I find? :no:

As for the hole:

I've taken driver on this hole normally but I think 3W or 5W is a smarter play off the tee, tbh.  I think to the left of the trees.  I don't fade the ball so it'll either go straight or draw as long as I don't push it.

The second shot, presuming the first one goes well on the fairway is either my longest iron, (5i) because, as I've said before, I'm not confident hitting the woods off the deck.  Then a wedge in.

It always seems easier to say what to do but when it comes to doing it, never really goes according to plan.

Christian

It always seems easier to say what to do but when it comes to doing it, never really goes according to plan.

Yup. I'm a great planner, but that execution part always gets me ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It's your topic, so I suppose you can post anything you want.

Do you have any down fairway tee box pictures to make our it easier for us to determine how we would play this hole?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure what you mean by this. :hmm:

Do you have any down fairway tee box pictures to make our it easier for us to determine how we would play this hole?

No.  I've never thought about taking pictures from the tee box when I've been playing.  Next time I play this hole, I'll resurrect this thread and post it.

Maybe @colin007 has a picture.

For what it's worth, it's a flat hole so I don't think you'd ever face a shot where the ball would be noticeably above or below your feet.

Is there anything in particular you'd be looking for to make a decision about how to attack the hole?

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

No.  I've never thought about taking pictures from the tee box when I've been playing.  Next time I play this hole, I'll resurrect this thread and post it.

Maybe @colin007 has a picture.

For what it's worth, it's a flat hole so I don't think you'd ever face a shot where the ball would be noticeably above or below your feet.

Is there anything in particular you'd be looking for to make a decision about how to attack the hole?

The height of the trees sticking out on the right side about 160 yards from the tee box.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The height of the trees sticking out on the right side about 160 yards from the tee box.

I'm a horrible at estimating things like height, square footage, etc., but I'd say probably 30 feet.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!