IGNORED

Best and Worst Rounds Ever

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For about a 10 year stretch, back in the 80s & 90s, I shot several rounds of 71 at the same par 71 golf course (Winterwood/Desert Rose) . DR was my home course. I once matched par at a the par 70 course Colonial near Ft Worth. So I have never broke par on any course. Never shot a round lower than 70 that counted.

Worst round was at the Wolf Creek Course up in Mesquite, Nevada. First time I played it, I shot a 101. I have yet to break 80 on that course.  I have shot worse scores at family get togethers in sub freezing, windy weather up north, but there was a lot of horsing around at those shin digs. Lots of gimmies, and such in those fun rounds.

I count the Colonial score as my best round ever. I made a lot of nice putts that day, and the rest of my game was not too shabby either. That was during a brief time in my golfing life when my game was hitting on all cylinders. However, I once shot a 76 at Spy glass which is my favorite best round. Spy Glass Hill, to me, is a very tough course. Another tough course (for me) is Rockwood, near Ft Worth. As soon as I pay my fees, I already know that course is going to kick me hard in my backside. Never have broken 80 there, even though just by looking at it, it seems like an easy course.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For about a 10 year stretch, back in the 80s & 90s, I shot several rounds of 71 at the same par 71 golf course (Winterwood/Desert Rose) . DR was my home course. I once matched par at a the par 70 course Colonial near Ft Worth. So I have never broke par on any course. Never shot a round lower than 70 that counted.

Worst round was at the Wolf Creek Course up in Mesquite, Nevada. First time I played it, I shot a 101. I have yet to break 80 on that course.  I have shot worse scores at family get togethers in sub freezing, windy weather up north, but there was a lot of horsing around at those shin digs. Lots of gimmies, and such in those fun rounds.

I count the Colonial score as my best round ever. I made a lot of nice putts that day, and the rest of my game was not too shabby either. That was during a brief time in my golfing life when my game was hitting on all cylinders. However, I once shot a 76 at Spy glass which is my favorite best round. Spy Glass Hill, to me, is a very tough course. Another tough course (for me) is Rockwood, near Ft Worth. As soon as I pay my fees, I already know that course is going to kick me hard in my backside. Never have broken 80 there, even though just by looking at it, it seems like an easy course.

I have a tee time for Wolf Creek on June 1st.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

August, 1989 - third round of the tournament.  16 handicap.  Shot 73 (still my PB).

Wow, what is the odd of shooting 73 as 16 handicap?    Do you remember what made this happen?   Were you feeling exceptionally confident that day?  Did you get a lot of lucky breaks?

I don't really remember any details of the round.  I really don't think that I had any idea how well I was playing until it was over.  I knew that I was doing okay, but since we were required to trade cards and act as marker for a fellow competitor, I wasn't really  paying any attention to my score until we added it up at the end.  The one thing I had been doing since the middle of the season was stopping at a different course on the way to every tournament round and spending about 45 minutes on their chipping green.  That seemed to help me with my rhythm and tempo, as well as honing my greenside game.  My handicap had already dropped 2.5 points during the season, so I was in an improvement run when it happened.  The day after that in the final round of the tournament I shot 78 and made my first hole in one.

That's one hell of a golf week you had.   It'd make any amateur's career golf week.  I will sell my boss's soul to the devil to have a golf week like that and I can die in peace.

( Some folks may have accused of sandbagging after the week, eh? :-D )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Quote:

August, 1989 - third round of the tournament.  16 handicap.  Shot 73 (still my PB).

Wow, what is the odd of shooting 73 as 16 handicap?    Do you remember what made this happen?   Were you feeling exceptionally confident that day?  Did you get a lot of lucky breaks?

I don't really remember any details of the round.  I really don't think that I had any idea how well I was playing until it was over.  I knew that I was doing okay, but since we were required to trade cards and act as marker for a fellow competitor, I wasn't really  paying any attention to my score until we added it up at the end.  The one thing I had been doing since the middle of the season was stopping at a different course on the way to every tournament round and spending about 45 minutes on their chipping green.  That seemed to help me with my rhythm and tempo, as well as honing my greenside game.  My handicap had already dropped 2.5 points during the season, so I was in an improvement run when it happened.  The day after that in the final round of the tournament I shot 78 and made my first hole in one.

That's one hell of a golf week you had.   It'd make any amateur's career golf week.  I will sell my boss's soul to the devil to have a golf week like that and I can die in peace.

( Some folks may have accused of sandbagging after the week, eh? )

I don't have a lot of memories from the 40 or so years I've played regularly, but those 2 days will stick with me as the finest weekend of golf I have had or will ever have.  I honestly wish I could recall some of the details of that round of 73.  It must have been a lot of fun at the time.  It all sort of got lost in the wonderment of believing that I was actually able to play golf as it was intended.  The fact that it all happened during a tournament was just icing on the cake - gave it a validity that it wouldn't have had during a casual round.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

happened for me in the same round:

Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) 2006. was in college, and home visiting for the long holiday weekend. hadn't played a round in the previous 24 months, since my club had been stolen from my car on Xmas Eve two years previous. went and played with my dad and two brothers in some kind of TurkeyShootout at Copper River CC.

my dad had cobbled a set of clubs for me from his stash that morning - all in good condition, but nothing matching or fitted. i figured it would just be a fun round with family, with some small wagers for bragging rights. took a shot of whiskey on the first tee to warm up, and started out. i only remember tow distinct things from the Front Nine: i shot 73, and on #9 i hit three consecutive balls off the tee OB right, all within a 10' radius.

shot 42 on the back and won $15. i think more whiskey helped.

120 something and 79, 3 years later.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For me it is more about the company than an absolute score.

Best round ever  - playing with my younger brother and 2 of our uncles. I shot 1 over, best ball we shoot 3 under, and we won every bet, and it led to about 10 years of rematches. It was a great time.

Or it could be playing with my sons; I taught my youngest son about making beer bets on the course - late in the round if we are both pitching or chipping to the green we will play closest to the hole wins a beer from the other. My son is 12 and I am currently up 3-0 in root beers.

Worst round ever - playing in a company golf league against a guy I knew was going to be let go at the end of the week. I kind of wanted him to win, but he played so badly that day I would have had to wiff a few times to throw the match.

Players play, tough players win!

Does that count all of those rounds played under the "creative" rules of golf that you espouse on another thread?  How about that "68"?  Just wondering. :whistle:

Some people just hate life.:poo:

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My best round ever was a 76 on a course with a par of 65.  I had been playing really poorly and decided to get a practice round in with a friend of mine.  My +11 score included 2 triple bogies.  I don't remember anything that felt different to me that day... I just seemed to hit a lot of shots that put me in good positions and I was able to convert.

My worst round ever was in a tournament back in 2003 or 2004.  I played the Seaview Bay course in just outside of Atlantic City with a club I was a member of and I hacked it up so badly that it hurts to remember.  30+ MPH winds all day got in my head and I kept trying to keep it under the wind.  Well... I succeeded because I don't think I hit a shot more than 2 feet off the ground until the back nine.  It was somewhere in the neighborhood of a final score of 125.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Drumm Farm Golf Club: 72.5Cr 137 Slope 6564yds par 72..................68 (-4)

I haven't scored over 90 for the better part of a decade until last year.   I don't even remember the score, but I do know it was higher than 90.  either a 91 or 92.

Regarding another comment in this thread:

I can see how a16HC could score a 73 on the best day of days if it's a short and easy course.   Without knowing the course length, CR, and slope of the tees played, a score by itself is meaningless.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'd bet that my very first round (at the age of 11) was probably around 140-150 and I've shot 79 a couple of times recently. But my best and worst round were when I played St Andrews Old Course a couple of years ago.  I've never enjoyed playing golf as much as I did that day but I couldn't have played worse (shot 100).

Randal

My worst game had nothing to do with score. My uncle and I were going to play when we got teamed up this guy who turned out to be an *******. While playing he kept driving up on the foursome in front of us, four really big guys. After about three times doing this, four guys start walking back toward us with clubs in their hands, extremely angry!! This A-Hole we're with decides he want to have it out with these four angry guys for slow play. Needless to say my uncle and I are backpedaling down the course trying to disassociate ourselves from this guy, but hard to do. After the rather loud verbal altercation with the exchange of claims as to how far a four iron would fit up ones rear end, my uncle and I decided to sit out a couple of holes and let this A-Hole move on; needless to say it was not a good game.

My worst game had nothing to do with score. My uncle and I were going to play when we got teamed up this guy who turned out to be an *******. While playing he kept driving up on the foursome in front of us, four really big guys. After about three times doing this, four guys start walking back toward us with clubs in their hands, extremely angry!! This A-Hole we're with decides he want to have it out with these four angry guys for slow play. Needless to say my uncle and I are backpedaling down the course trying to disassociate ourselves from this guy, but hard to do. After the rather loud verbal altercation with the exchange of claims as to how far a four iron would fit up ones rear end, my uncle and I decided to sit out a couple of holes and let this A-Hole move on; needless to say it was not a good game.

The irony is that there were two holes you could sit out and not slow down any other parties. . . :-D

Yeah, if he wanted to play speed golf, I suppose there are better places to do it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!