IGNORED

Joe vs pro

VegasRenegade
Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Joe (20 Handicap, Better Ball Scramble)
    • Pro (3 Handicap, Worst Ball Scramble)

Definitely some severe but you'd be surprised how little slope it takes to run a ball 15 feet away on these dormant Bermuda greens. I had about a 6-footer with maybe 4" left to right. Missed on the high side, it sling-shotted around the hole and ended up about 15 feet away. The slope didn't appear that severe. Just some goofy greens and pins of late. Kinda fun though, helluva challenge.

We will get a warning but I do not really believe you. Your greens would have to be stimp 15 or holes cut right on severe slopes. The AimPoint app on my phone says.......stimp 10 6 footer 2% slope is played 4" outside the hole. That is not a high green speed or stimp.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

We will get a warning but I do not really believe you. Your greens would have to be stimp 15 or holes cut right on severe slopes.

The AimPoint app on my phone says.......stimp 10 6 footer 2% slope is played 4" outside the hole. That is not a high green speed or stimp.

You're right about one thing: :offtopic: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.  I have rarely played a match with a 3 HCP or better, but I would suspect that the 3 handicap is much more consistent in his scores than the 20.  I understand that the handicap system shows the golfer's potential but IMO it does not reflect the likelihood of playing to your handicap for many of us that manage to scratch out 20 - 25 legitimate rounds in a season.  For my 18 HCP I will typically have scores such as an 86, 88, a bunch of low-mid nineties, but I will also have 3-4 rounds between 100 - 105.    I may be unusual, but as a higher handicap player I believe that my average score varies more from my index than a better player.

Perhaps the OP's 20 is a very consistent 20, and some of the assumption regarding score may be correct.  SInce it is the best 10 of the last 20 scores it also allows golfers like myself to eliminate the blow up rounds that I also have the potential to shoot.  Hence, I would not take the bet.

But good luck to the OP.  And to Iacas, your book is sounding more and more relevant, but that is a separate topic.

If you are not getting strokes (which I assume), I think you are in for a tough match. If I were you, I would definitely play my first shot conservative and if it was good, then go for it. You can't afford your best drive being in the trees. I'd recommend the same for him. If he keeps his ball in play, like I said, it could get ugly. Good luck though.

Definitely let us know how it turns out. Whatever the outcome, sounds like fun.

Sounds like fun, but as an 18 HCP I would not take that bet against a 3 HCP.  The pro is playing several tiers above you and the chance of 2 bad shots in a row are very low.  I can just go by my own skill level, but if I hit a bad drive I am about 50/50 hitting a good drive on my next swing.  And no doubt the 3 handicap's lesser of 2 drives will probably be way past your best of 2.   Same for the rest of the game.  Now, perhaps you know that your pro tends to choke in matches which may give you a chance of winning a couple of holes, but as an 18 myself I know that a 3 HCP's game is on a different planet than mine.   Good luck and let us know how it goes.

He does not have to hit 2 bad shots in a row. only 1 then he has to play from there

He does not have to hit 2 bad shots in a row. only 1 then he has to play from there

Yeah, I don't think people are fully appreciating the dynamics of "worst" ball.  Those guys should go back and read posts 46 and 48.

Bottom line is that playing one ball, you'd likely lose 38/39 to 46/47.  That 38/39 can go nowhere but UP playing worst ball, and your 46/47 can go nowhere but DOWN playing best ball.  A meeting in the middle somewhere in the 42 range seems quite likely.  I believe you picked a good format to make this an even match.

When are you guys playing?

Match play does make a difference since you don't have to worry about blow up holes. I still think I'd hit the conservative shot first, but having two shots at bombing a driver does sound appealing.

Exactly why I made it match play. my normal 9 holes is 5 bogies two pars and two eights

This is a great idea @VegasRenegade . Thank you for sharing your game with us.

I feel that the course came make an enormous difference. How much water, OB, places either of you can lose balls. If he hits one in the water/OB/hazard and loses a ball you are golden it is essentially a loss of hole if you can not lose a ball on that hole.Also how long the course is can play a role also. More length benefits him because distance is going to be one of his advantages likely.

The course is Union Hills in Az.  this is not the pros course.  I picked it because I am confident there. not much trouble and pretty short. If I play white and he plays blues I get about a 400 yard break. No longer tees so is length is some what limited.  Greens pretty easy nice pace but not slick. not to tricky.

Playing next Tuesday Afternoon.

Good stuff. It seems like I'm in the minority predicting that you will win, so be sure to post back here afterwards and let us know how it goes!

The course is Union Hills in Az.  this is not the pros course.  I picked it because I am confident there. not much trouble and pretty short. If I play white and he plays blues I get about a 400 yard break. No longer tees so is length is some what limited.  Greens pretty easy nice pace but not slick. not to tricky.

My initial answer was based on the assumption that you would be playing the same tees. I still think the pro wins, but not as dramatically.

Can't wait to see how it went. :beer:

- Shane

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

My initial answer was based on the assumption that you would be playing the same tees. I still think the pro wins, but not as dramatically.

Can't wait to see how it went.

We never discussed the Tees. I will trying to slide it in. It is not a deal breaker the last time I played it I played front 9 from the white tees. shoot 44 then back was jammed up so i played the front again this time from the blues shot 45

I'm taking Joe here. Sample size of one 9 hole round is too small of course but I'd be backing Joe if I had to wager $100. I'm confident in my pick btw :-)

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

My vote goes to the the pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

Quote:

We never discussed the Tees. I will trying to slide it in. It is not a deal breaker the last time I played it I played front 9 from the white tees. shoot 44 then back was jammed up so i played the front again this time from the blues shot 45

Seems like a good enough match already. No need to make it unfair for your opponent unless you are playing for dough.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

My vote goes to the the pro

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems like a good enough match already. No need to make it unfair for your opponent unless you are playing for dough.

I'm going with Dave Wedzik on this one, and not just because he's a pro.

Joe is shooting in the high 80s low 90s from both sets of tees plus he gets 400 yards on 9 holes. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Quote:

I was on the fist page predicting Joe as the winner, assuming the same tees. If you get an extra 400 yards for 9 holes, it's no contest, you will win handily.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I'm taking Joe here. Sample size of one 9 hole round is too small of course but I'd be backing Joe if I had to wager $100. I'm confident in my pick btw

Plot twist:  The pro's name is Joe.  The "joe's" name is Mark. :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_wedzik

I'm taking Joe here. Sample size of one 9 hole round is too small of course but I'd be backing Joe if I had to wager $100. I'm confident in my pick btw

Plot twist:  The pro's name is Joe.  The "joe's" name is Mark.

Oh okay, I see now. . .

Then I might still go with the Mark (Joe) that is. Only if he gets 400 yards and really shoots 44 on that course. I only see an advantage in Joe's (the pro's) long game. . .

Of course another plot twist is if the Blue tees are only 6000 yards, in which case my vote would go to Joe (the pro).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
Oh okay, I see now. . .

Errr, no you didn't. :) Drew was making a bad joke.

I think the 20 handicapper wins 65-70 times out of 100.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!