IGNORED

Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point to Open in April

Note: This thread is 3483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/donald-trumps-ferry-point-golf-course-accepting-tee-times

Quote:

No April Fool's here. The first day of play at Donald Trump's highly anticipated Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point is scheduled to be April 1, weather permitting.

Trump announced Wednesday the course will begin accepting tee times at 10 a.m. on March 11.

“I’m thrilled to bring what will be one of the country’s great courses to New York City, something residents have been looking forward for decades," Trump said in a release. "Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point is truly a world-class, wonderful and exciting course and can be played by golfers of all skill levels. We expect to have many major championships at Trump Golf Links – just minutes from Manhattan. This will be a tremendous economic development engine for the City of New York. Once the Trump Organization took over the development, I am glad we were able to get it open so quickly.”

It's a Jack Nicklaus design and a public course. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My brother lives on Long Island, and he's taking about organizing a group to play on opening day.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/donald-trumps-ferry-point-golf-course-accepting-tee-times

It's a Jack Nicklaus design and a public course. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

It's going to cost a fortune to play, apparently:

http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html

Quote:
Ferry Point released its rates earlier this week, and depending on how willing metropolitan-area players are to pay destination prices for a local round of golf, the right lane of the Bronx-bound Whitestone is as close as many will get to the greens.  Non-resident rates at the Donald Trump-managed and Jack Nicklaus-designed course will be $190 during the week and $215 on weekends (including Fridays) and holidays.  Carts carry an additional $35 fee per player.

Twilight rounds at Ferry Point will cost $154 on weekdays and $197 on weekends.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

It's going to cost a fortune to play, apparently:

http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html

Sorry Donald, I'd rather pay $65 and play Bethpage Black if I'm going to play a public course.

Joe Paradiso

It's going to cost a fortune to play, apparently: [URL=http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html]http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html[/URL]

I don't understand that paragraph. It ponders what "metropolitan area golfers" will pay and compares it to NON resident rates. If metro area golfers aren't residents, then who are? Only people within a 10 block radius??? Gotta be a mistake.

It's going to cost a fortune to play, apparently: [URL=http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html]http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2015/03/nyc-golf-news-ferry-point-releases-rates-will-cost-long-island-golfers-200-to-play.html[/URL]

$215 is pretty steep. I can play 6 rounds of golf locally for that price and still have money left for the driving range. [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/80560/trump-golf-links-at-ferry-point-to-open-in-april#post_1112966"]Sorry Donald, I'd rather pay $65 and play Bethpage Black if I'm going to play a public course.   [/quote]It's probably not an attractive option for NY residents, but Bethpage Black would cost me $150, assuming I can even get a tee time. It's also takes 45 minutes longer to drive to Bethpage than Ferry Point. If The Donald's course is good, it would be comparable for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

$215 is pretty steep. I can play 6 rounds of golf locally for that price and still have money left for the driving range.

It's probably not an attractive option for NY residents, but Bethpage Black would cost me $150, assuming I can even get a tee time. It's also takes 45 minutes longer to drive to Bethpage than Ferry Point. If The Donald's course is good, it would be comparable for me.

If you're coming from NJ, I agree.  You guys have a lot of great courses in NJ, no need to deal with the bridge or tunnel traffic to play golf.

Joe Paradiso

I don't understand that paragraph. It ponders what "metropolitan area golfers" will pay and compares it to NON resident rates. If metro area golfers aren't residents, then who are? Only people within a 10 block radius??? Gotta be a mistake.

NYC residents get a lower rate, I think. The greater metro area pays sticker price.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/80560/trump-golf-links-at-ferry-point-to-open-in-april#post_1112969"] I don't understand that paragraph. It ponders what "metropolitan area golfers" will pay and compares it to NON resident rates. If metro area golfers aren't residents, then who are? Only people within a 10 block radius??? Gotta be a mistake.

NYC residents get a lower rate, I think. The greater metro area pays sticker price.[/quote] Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point, NYC RESIDENT rate is $141 and $169. NON-RESIDENT rate is $190.00 and $215.00. Not a fair comparison but Bethpage Black for a NYS resident is 1/2 of the non resident rate. FP is 4/5 of the non resident rate. I sound like an old fart but a big part of the consideration of whether I play it if I do is traffic, which I hate stewing in, I don't care if it's Pebble fracking Beach.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I had a conference recently at the Boca Raton Resort & Golf Club - typical greens fees were $225 to $256. Place was packed .    Very nice course, but I wouldn't pay more than $100 to play it, compared to similar high end quality courses near me.

It's tough for us regular joe's to accept, but some people just have ridiculous amounts of disposable income and a $200 tee time is apparently nothing to them.   That's what The Donald is banking on ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

For trump, it's all about the $$$$. IMHO, the only good he does for golf, is for the wealthy who pay his price. He does Nothing for the average golfer. It's to bad some else with his $$$ couldn't open these courses, someone that Really Cares about the game of golf.

Sorry, trump just makes me fume...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For trump, it's all about the $$$$. IMHO, the only good he does for golf, is for the wealthy who pay his price. He does Nothing for the average golfer. It's to bad some else with his $$$ couldn't open these courses, someone that Really Cares about the game of golf.

Sorry, trump just makes me fume...

Good point ... never thought about that, but everything golf related Trump does is for the rich and wealthy ... not that I couldn't on occasion, but I don't chose to pay his prices to play golf.

John

Good point ... never thought about that, but everything golf related Trump does is for the rich and wealthy ... not that I couldn't, but I don't chose to pay his prices to play golf.

Well, I should say, there's nothing wrong with being wealthy, but when you cater to a much smaller percentage of select people, I can't see how that Helps the game of golf. It's just self serving for trump....

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Good point ... never thought about that, but everything golf related Trump does is for the rich and wealthy ... not that I couldn't, but I don't chose to pay his prices to play golf.

Well, I should say, there's nothing wrong with being wealthy, but when you cater to a much smaller percentage of select people, I can't see how that Helps the game of golf. It's just self serving for trump....

He's all about building premiere courses that might one day host a major ... agree on the self serving aspect

John

When Trump took over, I was really suspicious. He has a FANTASTIC scenic location (for the most part), The city saw him as a savior to take over the mess of a project that was languishing for years over access, environmental issues and such. I did think, okay, NOW it will get done, but I was still suspicious. The price they are charging is kind of silly for a "Muni" course, but will get play and keep the sheets full. Here's the deal- after the charm wears off, and conditions start to fade. Folks may not be so willing to part with their $180 bucks for an overbooked, less than optimum conditioned, dogtrack that many folks will have to pay an extra $20 in tolls just to get too. Revenue will drop, conditions will go down some more, and the cycle will keep going. Eventually, the city will look for ways to dump it. Guess who will be there to scoop up a nice parcel on the waterfront? Yup, Ol' Trump himself- Either turn it into a super exclusive club like Liberty, or develop the land for luxury real estate. And he'll get it for nothing, essentially. I'll probably give it a try later in the year, or next- but ONLY if they have some ridiculous specials on offer.

I think it's going to do really well, for one thing it's already nicer than any other public course within the NYC area, Bethpage being a good hour away from Midtown, so Ferry Point will get all those rich corporate outings and golf meetings and tourist day trips while wifey is shopping and every other wealthy NY golf need that can be had, it's 15 miles from the city, that's ridiculous, a car service can have you there in 20 minutes.

On top of that it's a true faux-links course, not many of those around, and with the views players are going to come from affluent areas all around, it was a stroke of genius by Trump, it may lose it's charm someday, but I doubt it.

If it has a grass range, I... am... there... It'll probably be obscenely expensive, but if the setup and conditions are good, will use it. Take my money, Mr. You're Fired.

Update:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304330904579137772016610180

Quote:
About a dozen excavators and bulldozers remain on a portion of the site, there to build the $10 million clubhouse and a practice area that will include a pitching range and a two-tier, lighted driving range with grass and turf

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If it has a grass range, I... am... there... It'll probably be obscenely expensive, but if the setup and conditions are good, will use it. Take my money, Mr. You're Fired.

Update:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304330904579137772016610180

Just to let you know, for a possible comparison, the trump course by my house charges $30.00 for all the balls you can hit, this is on grass, but nowadays, mostly dirt. Not sure what kind of balls they use.

Note: This thread is 3483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!