IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Isn't it great that you don't have to hear the morons yelling mashed potato on every drive.

Probably why I am turned off watching most of the regular tour.

The Masters and the Open are my two must sees.

Oh and to keep it on topic ......... go Jordan go.

It's wonderful!  I can't watch tournaments where everyone is screaming after every shot.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I'm reminded why I stopped liking TW.  Gentleman's game? Good to see golf going into the hands of players like McIlRoy and Spieth and others.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/tiger-woods-dropped-an-f-bomb.html

https://vine.co/v/eumUrIr6u9Z

Yeah the cursing, club slamming fits get old. He certainly is the poorest example of how to conduct yourself on the golf course.

I wonder what he tells his kids when he gets home? I wonder what the Tiger lovers tell their kids when they're watching his expletive filled rants on TV.

I hope Spieth shatters his scoring record.

I wonder where you guys find people to play with if this bothers you do much.  Golf is hard and frustrating.  Frustration pisses people off.  Most pissed off people will curse to release tension.  If you don't, then you are in a very small minority in today's world.  In my opinion, Tiger would catch a lot more flack for being a phony if he changed his curses to something like "Dag nab it!!" or "Dog gone, I should have hit that better!"  I don't scream profanity for the whole neighborhood to hear, but I'm not above the occasional muttered "Rick, you stupid ****!!"

You guys sound like a couple of prissy prudes, or maybe you just hate Tiger so much that you can't get past the hate to see reality..

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's wonderful!  I can't watch tournaments where everyone is screaming after every shot.

Thing is, I don't think anyone minds the yelling itself, it's the fact that the 'mashed potato' cry is basically an exhausted 'look at me' shout. Kinda like the 'get in the hole' that I hate as well - the noise of people cheering is great, it's just that those two never really have any meaning or reason.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

It would be the best thing for professional golf if Jordan Spieth were to win today. Another 70 should do it.

Golf needs a player like Spieth to carry the torch further down the road along w/ McIlRoy. Wish Fowler would start winning some big ones too.

Thank goodness lots of the players are not mic'ed up more often. You'd only be left with liking Matt Kuchar.

People swear, @Rick Martin. Just as it confounds you how a professional athlete trying to compete under enormous pressure to do something he's worked his entire life to do could possibly do something as outrageous as commit an actual crime let fly with a curse word, I remain confounded as to why that confounds you.

People swear. Thank goodness the line in an NFL game isn't mic'ed. Or the benches in a hockey game. Or the local foursome of guys playing golf. Or, you know, anywhere where men are playing a sport.

Do you? You wonder what he tells his kids about behaving the way he does?

Guess what? I swear. Sometimes I swear around my kid. My wife too. And we're great parents… the weird thing is, our kid knows she doesn't get to swear until she's older. It's something adults get to do while kids do not.

Edit: oops. @jamo had already covered that.

Oh my lord yes. NHL hockey benches are the best, NHL hockey players can make drunkin sailors sound like choir boys. I love sitting behind the bench during games.

I wonder where you guys find people to play with if this bothers you do much.  Golf is hard and frustrating.  Frustration pisses people off.  Most pissed off people will curse to release tension.  If you don't, then you are in a very small minority in today's world.  In my opinion, Tiger would catch a lot more flack for being a phony if he changed his curses to something like "Dag nab it!!" or "Dog gone, I should have hit that better!"  I don't scream profanity for the whole neighborhood to hear, but I'm not above the occasional muttered "Rick, you stupid ****!!"

You guys sound like a couple of prissy prudes, or maybe you just hate Tiger so much that you can't get past the hate to see reality..

I've played all over the country, throughout Europe - gone to PGA, LPGA, Senior events for the last 30 yrs and it is very rare to see outbursts that you see from TW.  I've probably attended 20+ Euro events over the years, same Senior and even more PGA events. Players don't swear and toss clubs - its a very small minority.

I can't even remember Mickelsen ever doing it. I may be wrong.

At the club level, we laugh at idiot golfers who do what Tiger does with the emotional outbursts, club tossing - and we don't invite them back.  But it is very rare - and mostly from hacks that just took up the game and don't know what they're doing - but expecting to hit every shot perfect. Golf is a respectable game where I come from -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I've played all over the country, throughout Europe - gone to PGA, LPGA, Senior events for the last 30 yrs and it is very rare to see outbursts that you see from TW.  I've probably attended 20+ Euro events over the years, same Senior and even more PGA events. Players don't swear and toss clubs - its a very small minority.

I can't even remember Mickelsen ever doing it. I may be wrong.

At the club level, we laugh at idiot golfers who do what Tiger does with the emotional outbursts, club tossing - and we don't invite them back.  But it is very rare - and mostly from hacks that just took up the game and don't know what they're doing - but expecting to hit every shot perfect. Golf is a respectable game where I come from -

And I worked inside the ropes for four years on a Tour stop, and I will tell you that you are seeing Tiger with blinders on if you think that he is unique.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Isn't it great that you don't have to hear the morons yelling mashed potato on every drive.

Probably why I am turned off watching most of the regular tour.

The Masters and the Open are my two must sees.

Oh and to keep it on topic ......... go Jordan go.

Yes, I don't miss the Morons yelling mashed potato at all. It's to bad they will be back next week, like they never skipped a beat.

• Upvote 1

Oh my lord yes. NHL hockey benches are the best, NHL hockey players can make drunkin sailors sound like choir boys. I love sitting behind the bench during games.

NHL, NFL, NBA don't have the reputation and history of being a gentleman's sport like golf does.

We all thought Rory's rival was going to be Rickie, but it's looking more and more like it's going to be Jordan.

Speaking of Rickie, yesterday's round symbolized him perfectly. He gets hot, gives you the sense he's going to make a run, and then falls off the wagon at the end. Just symbolizes how his career has gone. Every time you've thought he's taking a step forward and is going to win a major...or hell, win more than one friggin tournament.....he takes a step back. I know there are Rickie fans out there, and I love Rickie as well, but he is reminding me more of Charles Howell III than Rory McIlroy.

Some people give those who hate Tiger such a hard time, and I don't get it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and while Tiger's done great things for the sport, he's also done things that don't exactly give him reason to look at him in a favorable light. I respect both opinions, as long as they're for the right reasons. Me personally, I love Tiger the golfer and love seeing him in contention and winning, but at the same time, if I were out in public and had my choice of hanging out and socializing with different athletes, Tiger wouldn't be on my short list of guys to hang with. I don't respect some of the decisions he's made off the course in the past and even some of his actions on the course at times, but I do respect his play on the course and what he's done for the game. But the fact some people show "hate" towards anyone who criticizes Tiger or vice versa is immature, IMO.

He probably tells them what most people tell their kids when they swear in front of them. It's not rocket science, nor is it somehow unique to Tiger Woods.

OMFingGod     is not something most parents would have to apologize for.

Thank goodness lots of the players are not mic'ed up more often. You'd only be left with liking Matt Kuchar.

People swear, @Rick Martin. Just as it confounds you how a professional athlete trying to compete under enormous pressure to do something he's worked his entire life to do could possibly do something as outrageous as commit an actual crime let fly with a curse word, I remain confounded as to why that confounds you.

People swear. Thank goodness the line in an NFL game isn't mic'ed. Or the benches in a hockey game. Or the local foursome of guys playing golf. Or, you know, anywhere where men are playing a sport.

Do you? You wonder what he tells his kids about behaving the way he does?

Guess what? I swear. Sometimes I swear around my kid. My wife too. And we're great parents… the weird thing is, our kid knows she doesn't get to swear until she's older. It's something adults get to do while kids do not.

Edit: oops. @jamo had already covered that.

Right. Other people do it so its OK. Can't say I'm surprised by that argument.

Really. I've never heard any pro athlete curse in quite that manner before. Guess I've just led a sheltered life.

How about the club slamming fits after he screws up a shot? Is that OK too? It is possible that another player might have to play from a spot that he has gouged at some point.

I have no problem finding a game with a group gentlemen any day of the week. If I had a guest behave on the golf course the way Tiger often does, he wouldn't be invited back.

Self control is a difficult thing. Some people find the trait admirable. Seems as though quite a few Tiger fans do think so.

Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!