IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This round will be interesting and set up a lot for Sunday. Will Spieth keep a big lead, increase it or drop down? Will anyone come chasing?

Tiger says he's still in it, and with five shots up to shared third, I agree. 12 shots is a lot, but that's to one player, and 7 to the next. Would've been different if it was a bunch of guys at well past 10 under. Spieth will be put to the test the next couple of days.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks --- I actually just saw that the "CBS Coverage" begins streaming on the Masters' website at 2 pm -- so maybe they will pick right up with Tiger at ho le 3 or 4

but is says no Tiger to closer to 3 or 4. Hope your right though.

This round will be interesting and set up a lot for Sunday. Will Spieth keep a big lead, increase it or drop down? Will anyone come chasing? Tiger says he's still in it, and with five shots up to shared third, I agree. 12 shots is a lot, but that's to one player, and 7 to the next. Would've been different if it was a bunch of guys at well past 10 under. Spieth will be put to the test the next couple of days.

That's why I love Tiger. He says he is in it with a dead serious look and he believes it.

They'll usually pair him with Jeff Knox; their resident marker. From all accounts, dude can play. He's beaten Rory and Sergio when paired with them.

His name sounds familiar, I don't recall if he beat his pairing when I saw it on tv but I remember he was a solid match for the player that day.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

His name sounds familiar, I don't recall if he beat his pairing when I saw it on tv but I remember he was a solid match for the player that day.

Wasn't that Rory one year?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Anyone else having trouble with the live feed on the range?

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Anyone else having trouble with the live feed on the range?

Nope.  What browser are you using?  I am using chrome

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Thx krup....switched over to chrome and works fine now.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

Thx krup....switched over to chrome and works fine now.

No problem.

I've never seen coverage of the practice range during a tournament.  I'm surprised that Mahan and Foley were talking in such detail about his swing.  Seems like a strange time to discuss that stuff.  I always figured the pros used the range to loosen up before their round.  The announcer said something about the pros being good about compartmentalizing but still... doesn't sound like "stupid monkey" talk.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Thought the exact same thing...Foley was getting pretty animated.  But then, I do recall Haney telling stories of needing to "fix" Tiger on the range pre-round...so maybe not that uncommon......what was really entertaining was seeing Rory miss 5 straight 6 footers and then yelling at his Dad to come over and figure shit out for him....also odd to see him getting so much input from JP on a short putting stroke.....

• Administrator
Actually, after rereading your post, I'm not sure we're disagreeing on anything.  I just don't think the greens being "slower" in this years Masters should translate to increased difficulty for a field comprised of the world's best players.

I didn't say they were.

I have cited stats and studies that show faster greens benefit players, but that's when we're talking about the difference between 7/8 and 10/11 or something. Not the difference between 11 and 12. Then someone else referred to those. I have not said that the greens being slower translate to increased difficulty. I assume you're talking to me since you didn't quote in your second of three consecutive posts…

Some players just had a hard time adjusting to the green speeds. Perhaps it is actually in Jordan's benefit that he's only played there twice. Tiger has 20 years of memories of how fast they normally play… maybe he just can't bring himself to "smash" putts (relatively speaking) at Augusta National?

haha I called it yesterday. As soon as Sergio finished I said there's a 50 percent chance Sergio will be paired with Tiger. And he is. Might be a good thing for Tiger. He seems to always play better when he's with Sergio.

That's pretty easy to figure out. Tiger was either going to play with the -2 that finished just before him or the -2 that finished just after him. Hence… 50/50 chances.

FILO - First in, last out. The first guy in at a number (i.e. -2) is the last -2 to get out the next day. For Sunday's rounds, that's because the guy first in shot the better (or same) score on Saturday as the later guys at the same #.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm pretty sure Erik has said on this board a few times that slower greens are harder to putt on so Tiger must not think too highly of his own putting skills.

The point about the greens from Tiger was not just speed, but also how receptive....the harder the surface, there seems to be no doubt the harder the course will play...he mentioned that they were leaving ball marks from 5 irons.........this would also seem to impact the touch required for chipping/pitching, no?

I think his point was a lot more in-depth than simply putting speed....no?

No Tiger yet, one hour to his tee time. Every other player around his tee time has been there for a while.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Anyone know how old Jordan Spieth is. I don't think they've mentioned it.

I heard them say, "the young Jordan Spieth" a little while ago.  From the looks of it, I'd say a little over 21 years old.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!