IGNORED

Polara, a new illegal driver approved by the USRGA

Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At least not a split. . .

If your goal is to play golf just to get out there on the course and enjoy a lazy Sunday morning/afternoon with your wife/friends I would think hitting the ball 250 yards is a big plus. I actually know a few people who use non-conforming clubs and it's not like they are cheating anyone by doing so. . .They let everyone know the club is non-conforming.

And therein lies the difference, because that is nothing like my goal.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We are pretty knowledgeable here, yet people have recommended the Polara ball right on this website without realizing it is illegal - because of their deceptive advertising, IMO.  Now there is an organization who intentionally, IMO, gives themselves a name that just INVITES confusion with the USGA and provides a solid basis for deceptive advertising.  Now if they adopt a Code of Ethics for their member/supporting partners in which they require them to prominently say "Not approved for official USGA play" in the ads for any non--conforming equipment I might change my opinion.  But as it stands, the USRGA seems like a scam to me and I want no part of them or their supporters.

http://www.polaragolf.com/shop

The text in the main box says "welcome to the Polara Golf Online Shop - Approved for Recreational Use."

That's not exactly deceptive ... anybody who doesn't read between the lines and see immediately that that really means "not legal" is deceiving themselves .

And I addressed the comments about the USRGA yesterday - similar to Taylor Made and their 15" hole ideas, they seem to be an organization whose purpose is to make golf inviting and fun for newbies. What's the harm there?

I like playing football with one of those Nerf balls with the spiral ridges and the whistle because it makes a loud noise and I can throw it 50 yards - neither of which I can do with a regulation NFL ball.  And while doing it, I'm not denigrating the sanctity of the game or anything, just having fun.  What's the harm?

The text in the main box says "welcome to the Polara Golf Online Shop - Approved for Recreational Use."

That's not exactly deceptive ... anybody who doesn't read between the lines and see immediately that that really means "not legal" is deceiving themselves.

And I addressed the comments about the USRGA yesterday - similar to Taylor Made and their 15" hole ideas, they seem to be an organization whose purpose is to make golf inviting and fun for newbies. What's the harm there?

I like playing football with one of those Nerf balls with the spiral ridges and the whistle because it makes a loud noise and I can throw it 50 yards - neither of which I can do with a regulation NFL ball.  And while doing it, I'm not denigrating the sanctity of the game or anything, just having fun.  What's the harm?

I copied this right from the Polaragolf website, I'd say this doesn't qualify as deceptive to me. http://www.polaragolf.com/about

WHEN: The Polara golf balls are the perfect ball for ANY scramble tournament, anytime.  The balls are not allowed in USGA sanctioned tournaments.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I'm 59 and have lost 30-40 yards over the years without resorting to cheating, so I do not think that is likely.  When I CAN'T play I WON'T play.  Deluding myself by hitting a 250 yard drive with a 210 yard swing is not my idea of fun.

I don't have them put the bumpers up when I go bowling, either, even thought that would make converting a 10-pin easier.

At least not a split. . .

If your goal is to play golf just to get out there on the course and enjoy a lazy Sunday morning/afternoon with your wife/friends I would think hitting the ball 250 yards is a big plus. I actually know a few people who use non-conforming clubs and it's not like they are cheating anyone by doing so. . .They let everyone know the club is non-conforming.

Believe it or not, not all of us are obsessed with distance.  For me it's always been more about knowing my distances and playing the correct tees, not worrying about hitting farther than the next guy.  The though of using a nonconforming driver or ball just to get a few more yards is repugnant to me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Believe it or not, not all of us are obsessed with distance.  For me it's always been more about knowing my distances and playing the correct tees, not worrying about hitting farther than the next guy.  The though of using a nonconforming driver or ball just to get a few more yards is repugnant to me.

I understand you and Rich don't like using this equipment, and that's fine for both of you .

However, I would not want to leave this post unheeded for the benefit of those who do want to use this equipment just so they can enjoy playing a standard length course.

Golf is so personal I would just assume everyone play whatever they want to make the game more enjoyable for them.

Going to re-iterate @Golfingdad because I feel exactly the same way on this topic. . .

That's not exactly deceptive ... anybody who doesn't read between the lines and see immediately that that really means "not legal" is deceiving themselves.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I understand you and Rich don't like using this equipment, and that's fine for both of you.

However, I would not want to leave this post unheeded for the benefit of those who do want to use this equipment just so they can enjoy playing a standard length course.

Golf is so personal I would just assume everyone play whatever they want to make the game more enjoyable for them.

I don't care what equipment a person uses for recreation but if they play in a tournament or for handicap they should use conforming equipment.

You're giving these clubs and balls way too much credit for how much distance they will provide.  The driver is only 15cc larger than most standard drivers and while they claim the distance gain is 30 yards I doubt most will see more than 15 yards.  Anyone can play a standard length course with conforming equipment if they play from the right tees.   A guy that can only drive the ball 180 yards might see 195 yards (if he can hit the ball straight), he's still not going to enjoy playing Bethpage Black from the tips.

I'm all for making golf a more enjoyable experience but I believe someone doesn't have to go the route of Polara to enjoy their experience they just need to play from the right tees.

Joe Paradiso

I understand you and Rich don't like using this equipment, and that's fine for both of you.

I would just like to add that I completely agree with you here .... but I also feel exactly the same as @Fourputt in regards to my own game. :beer:

But to you and anybody else who was looking into buying nonconforming equipment, I'd suggest that you be careful.  Just because it's not approved, DOES NOT AT ALL mean that it's actually providing you with extra distance or curing a slice.  If somebody could add 30 yards with the driver and that made the game fun for them, then by all means, knock yourself out, but if it was a big giant scam, then what's the point?  Playing illegal equipment that provides no edge seems really silly to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I would just like to add that I completely agree with you here .... but I also feel exactly the same as @Fourputt in regards to my own game.

But to you and anybody else who was looking into buying nonconforming equipment, I'd suggest that you be careful.  Just because it's not approved, DOES NOT AT ALL mean that it's actually providing you with extra distance or curing a slice.  If somebody could add 30 yards with the driver and that made the game fun for them, then by all means, knock yourself out, but if it was a big giant scam, then what's the point?  Playing illegal equipment that provides no edge seems really silly to me.

Now this is really where it's at.  Just because it might show the possibility of some increase in distance under controlled testing conditions doesn't mean that the average golfer is going to see any significant gains.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would just like to add that I completely agree with you here .... but I also feel exactly the same as @Fourputt in regards to my own game.

As do I, but only because I am challenging myself to get a lower handicap. . .So, I agree with both of you two here. . . :beer:

Now this is really where it's at.  Just because it might show the possibility of some increase in distance under controlled testing conditions doesn't mean that the average golfer is going to see any significant gains.

If the COR is higher and their balls are denser, then they should see more distance. More likely on a mishit too since the head is bigger as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would love to try the driver. And the balls. I think I have said before that I have no illusions about my game. Hitting the ball farther is more enjoyable to me. It makes me feel like I am playing the game the way it is meant to be played. At my home course, I don't even have the option of trying to reach a risk/reward par 5 in 2.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I copied this right from the Polaragolf website, I'd say this doesn't qualify as deceptive to me.  http://www.polaragolf.com/about

I judge deceptiveness by its effect.  And on more than one occasion a veteran member of this board, in good faith, recommended this equipment to a newby without anyone noticing for a while that it was not USGA conforming. So deception is not only possible, we have seen it happen right here.

And putting the "not USGA approved" on the "about" page is not nearly enough,  - the "about" page is the equivalent of the legal fine print, IMO.  Something they can point to if they are called out without it actually getting read by the people being deceived.  "Approved for recreational play" is pretty ambiguous/worthless as well.  Does someone going out and playing a round of golf without a match going on, i.e., a non-competitive round, qualify as recreational play?  I think most people would say yes.  Yet if they are using that equipment they cannot properly submit the score for handicap.  Does submitting your score for handicap make your play not recreational?

Of course the problem is that "recreational play" is not defined, so approved for recreational play is a nonsense statement with no meaning, Unless one goes to the USRGA site an find out that recreational ply basically means virtually no rules at all, under their definition.  Heck, I see nothing in their "rules" that would prohibit taking a pool cue out to use on the greens.  And while they DO have a list of rules, they ar meaningless because of this little clause in Rule 2:

2. The Rules of Play are to be agreed upon in advance by the players before teeing off on the first hole. The highest authority for settling disputes is the foursome or player’s group. They may ultimately decide what is right under all circumstances.  Players may agree to add, waive or amend any Rule.  If there is a dispute not covered by the Rules, then the golfers in the group will determine how to resolve the dispute; the decision should be made in accordance with what is fair. The players may appoint a ruling committee for the purpose of settling issues during group or tournament play.  Advice may be sought or offered during the course of play but responding to a request is at the discretion of the golfers in the group.

Once you have that clause you really do not need any of the other rules.  E.g., they limit the number of clubs to 20 (!?!) but if someone carries more the players can just waive that rule.  Are the rules still rules when they essentially limit nothing and put no restrictions on anything?

I absolutely do not care how anyone else plays or what they play with.  But I also see no need to give people some kind of imprimatur of legitimacy for golf played, essentially, under "make them up yourself" rules.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I'm all for whatever makes the game fun. If you're not playing USGA events or anything using USGA conforming and non conforming list, have at it. I own a Hireko Juggernaut and play it frequently. Is it longer? No. Can you tell a difference in size next to other 460cc heads? No. It does perform as well as anything out there and better, forgiveness wise and for the price compared to OEM's, more bang for your buck most definitely. I have mine paired with a Kuro Kage 50s. JOMHO.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Ok. that is a big haid driver. It has a dollar value vs what it does for you? Cool, economics has become part of the game in the last decade or so.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I'm all for whatever makes the game fun. If you're not playing USGA events or anything using USGA conforming and non conforming list, have at it. I own a Hireko Juggernaut and play it frequently. Is it longer? No. Can you tell a difference in size next to other 460cc heads? No. It does perform as well as anything out there and better, forgiveness wise and for the price compared to OEM's, more bang for your buck most definitely. I have mine paired with a Kuro Kage 50s.

JOMHO.

Find it difficult to believe you can't see difference of the additional 55cc.  I can tell the difference between a Titleist 915D2 and D3 and I think they are only 20cc difference.

Joe Paradiso

Find it difficult to believe you can't see difference of the additional 55cc.  I can tell the difference between a Titleist 915D2 and D3 and I think they are only 20cc difference.

Use Google Images to search "hireko juggernaut comparison". There will be 2 comparison pictures of my PING G25 and the Juggernaut. Look for yourself.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!