IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tomorrow's forecast is cooler about 72F with about 10 mph WNW winds. Then Saturday it could get hot - clear - even 76F - 78F with no shade in that cove is brutal. Winds NNE so the hills will shelter the course. They've been lucky so far.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well you have your first outright player complaint of the greens....not surprising its Sergio. I agree with him completely, but he is still a bitch since everyone else is playing on them.

Ha. Norman and commentator Jay (unsure last name) were criticizing his putting stance. That his eyes were well outside the ball, and that they've not seen that. I think they'd never seen Sergio do that either. So maybe his putting was just off today

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Ha. Norman and commentator Jay (unsure last name) were criticizing his putting stance. That his eyes were well outside the ball, and that they've not seen that. I think they'd never seen Sergio do that either. So maybe his putting was just off today

Mehh I think for once, I'm with Sergio and these greens are an embarrassment. But they all putt on them so no disadvantage to anyone.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

[URL=http://www.cbssports.com/golf/players/playerpage/474782/henrik-stenson][U][COLOR=0000FF]Henrik Stenson[/COLOR][/U][/URL] couldn't help but take a little jab at [URL=http://www.cbssports.com/golf/players/playerpage/149765/tiger-woods][U][COLOR=0000FF]Tiger Woods[/COLOR][/U][/URL] Henrik Stenson with the most trolling quote of the year: "It's a challenging walk. There will be some tired glutes by the end of the week."

Henrik's a good guy, with a dry sense of humor. No harm intended, I'm sure.

Riley

I don't see the problem. Not every course is supposed to be Augusta

I mean, there are straight up dead spots all over. I know poe-annua is gonna lead to bumpier putts, but there are legitimate bald/dead areas on these greens. I expect a US Open course to be in better condition than the Zurich Classic course.

I mean, there are straight up dead spots all over. I know poe-annua is gonna lead to bumpier putts, but there are legitimate bald/dead areas on these greens. I expect a US Open course to be in better condition than the Zurich Classic course.

Yes but it's the same for everyone......

We had a very hot dry May, and they baked. Then it got cool below the temperature where fescue grows. Then it got hot and dry again. That's what happened. Washington is in the middle of a drought. The ground under the grass gets like hardpan.

When it gets hot poa annua infests.

Julia

Spoiler

I'll take the under if you're setting it at 72. I'd set it there too if I was trying to get 50/50 bets.

[quote name="Crim" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/540#post_1156556"]I like what I saw from his range practice. But once again I think he'll fail to bring it to the course.  I think he'll shoot a 75.  [/quote] [quote name="ChrisP" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/570#post_1156557"]I'll go 72 with Tiger. [/quote] [quote name="saturday" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/570#post_1156560"]I'm going to go with 70, -2 [/quote] [quote name="Kieran123" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/570#post_1156562"]I think Tiger will be 2 under ( 68 ) [/quote] I guess everyone low balled his score. I'm wondering if he'll finish tomorrow.

I don't see the problem. Not every course is supposed to be Augusta

I don't expect it to be Augusta but this course looks near impossible to play.  I know some people scored well earlier but I don't know how unless a bit of luck is involved.  This course is too penal, these guys have no idea where to land the ball without it rolling off into fescue or sand.

Joe Paradiso

The fescue is obviously not native to this area so the poa annua is trying to take over the greens.

Exactly. When the soil temperature gets over a certain temperature the poa annua starts to take over and makes the greens unreadable in the afternoons. There is no grain to poa annua.

My home course has poa annua on all the greens except one and they put bent grass on that one. The bent grass green is diabolical after you've been putting poa annua for 15 holes.

Julia

Spoiler

We had a very hot dry May, and they baked. Then it got cool below the temperature where fescue grows. Then it got hot and dry again. That's what happened. Washington is in the middle of a drought. The ground under the grass gets like hardpan.

When it gets hot poa annua infests.

There you go. There's the answer. Still sucks because just not up to US Open quality and it looks like absolute shit IMO. I'm sure this course is fun to play an I do like that we have a different style of course this year, but its just in poor shape.

I don't expect it to be Augusta but this course looks near impossible to play.  I know some people scored well earlier but I don't know how unless a bit of luck is involved.  This course is too penal, these guys have no idea where to land the ball without it rolling off into fescue or sand.

They watered during the night, and knew the morning tee times would have an advantage as the course dried out during the day and into evening.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

There are not bald spots. Do you have HD? They're a bit bumpy but fine. Hit them. They'll go in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They have played practice rounds on this course, everyone always complains about how the pros play on such a nice pristine courses....... I think it's great if you want to win the U.S. Open you have to play any course in any condition

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!