IGNORED

"Moving the needle" and Rory vs. Rickie vs. Tiger

k-troop
Note:Β This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

And I also have slight reservations about the "if only Rory was an American" line of thinking, which has been mentioned a few times. Treading rather carefully here........but I think a likeable Irishman might be very well placed to win over an American audience when it comes to being a golfer from any country other than the US, when he is shaping up to be the standout golfer of his generation.

I completely agree with this, Americans (like myself even) romanticize Ireland to the extreme. Their culture as we view it is very popular over here and Rory's PR would be smart to embrace it. The US would love to see a laid back but sometimes brash Irishman that enjoys a pint of the black stuff after a round. Sure, stereotypical, but we love it, and I think Rory has it in him. He's laid back, but every once and awhile you catch a fiery club throwing lad. Let that anger out every once and awhile for the cameras, have a pint o' Guinness every once and awhile for the cameras. It'll do your stock gooooood.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I completely agree with this, Americans (like myself even) romanticize Ireland to the extreme. Their culture as we view it is very popular over here and Rory's PR would be smart to embrace it. The US would love to see a laid back but sometimes brash Irishman that enjoys a pint of the black stuff after a round. Sure, stereotypical, but we love it, and I think Rory has it in him. He's laid back, but every once and awhile you catch a fiery club throwing lad. Let that anger out every once and awhile for the cameras, have a pint o' Guinness every once and awhile for the cameras. It'll do your stock gooooood.

Yeah, I don't think Rory not being American has much impact on it, either.Β  I think what it really boils down to is Rory going to be able to consistently dominate and also demonstrate that raw emotion that Tiger shows just in his demeanor.Β  And even then, it might not be enough.Β  I also think Tiger brought people into the game because he wasn't your stereotypical player in the sense of his background.Β  I think once people that are classified as minorities saw someone similar to them start to dominate, they started paying attention to golf, whether by watching him on tv or have them begin playing themselves.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say moving the needle is about the entertainment factor Tiger brought/brings.

His attitude, which is polarizing, is very entertaining to watch. Β His dramatic highs with fist pumps and putt stalking to his collapses with frustration, swearing and club throwing. Β It was a refreshing change to the white-collar, golf clap days before him. Β Think a real life Happy Gilmore...

Rory is a great player but doesn't bring that same in your face attitude that Americans eat up.

Tony Β 

:titleist:Β  Β  | Β  :tmade:Β  Β | Β  Β  :cleveland:Β 

When Rickie starts doing the kind of stuff that Rory is doing, the needle will move by itself in earthquake fashion. Right now I can't see why I would rank Fowler above Furyk or Kutcher, really. I think he is over-rated. Yes, still. Β He can make all the duck lips he wants. Win some more Rickie.

I think Fowler is pretty boring and short on charisma. He has won twice on tour, and both times didn't know how to celebrate. At the core of his being he is modest and reserved. His golf game is pretty reserved too. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. But you can't keep feeding people this hollow-ringing propaganda about him being so charismatic and exciting. His much-celebrated style isn't even stylish, it's just novel. (Or was novel.) When you look at Fowler photos from 2,3 years ago they already look pitifully dated.

I think Fowler is pretty boring and short on charisma. He has won twice on tour, and both times didn't know how to celebrate. At the core of his being he is modest and reserved. His golf game is pretty reserved too. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. But you can't keep feeding people this hollow-ringing propaganda about him being so charismatic and exciting. His much-celebrated style isn't even stylish, it's just novel. (Or was novel.) When you look at Fowler photos from 2,3 years ago they already look pitifully dated.

Oh, c'mon, Rickie looks Errol Flynn-ish (1930's movies), and is great with kids, always signing autographs, and has the model girlfriend. His demeanor after he finishes is excellent, even if his on the course demeanor is low key.

Separated by only 80 years or so... lol

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Originally Posted by legitimatebeef

Oh, c'mon, Rickie looks Errol Flynn-ish (1930's movies), and is great with kids, always signing autographs, and has the model girlfriend. His demeanor after he finishes is excellent, even if his on the course demeanor is low key.

Separated by only 80 years or so... lol

Low key doesn't move any needles unless success feeds it. Β Errol Flynn was a swashbuckler, sword fighting, rock 'em sock 'em hero on screen. Β Fowler isn't even remotely in that category on the golf course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The discussion of why people spend more time focused on Tiger, either to watch on TV or to comment on a thread, than anyone else reminds me of a scene from Private Parts, the movie about Howard Stern..

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Basically, I think it's almost the exact same for Tiger. On TV the fans watch him play hoping he succeeds, the people who don't like him watch to see him fail. On forums people who like Tiger come to speak positively or stick up for him while the haters come to speak negatively about him.

Edit- In short, Tiger is a polarizing figure, and they will always garner a larger amount of attention than anyone else.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Low key doesn't move any needles unless success feeds it. Β Errol Flynn was a swashbuckler, sword fighting, rock 'em sock 'em hero on screen. Β Fowler isn't even remotely in that category on the golf course.

Didn't say he was, but the resemblance was remotely amusing... and Rickie is young. I like to see what evolves. I think kids and the ladies like him, even if guys are ho-hum.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Didn't say he was, but the resemblance was remotely amusing... and Rickie is young. I like to see what evolves. I think kids and the ladies like him, even if guys are ho-hum.

I thought maybe you were his mother. I think he looks more like Leo Dicaprio.

I thought maybe you were his mother. I think he looks more like Leo Dicaprio.

So maybe you are his sister?

Β 

So maybe you are his sister?

I would edit out that pointless insult, but I can't now, so I apologize. I just don't see the resemblance with Errol Flynn at all.

I would edit out that pointless insult, but I can't now, so I apologize. I just don't see the resemblance with Errol Flynn at all.

Taken with humor, and tried humor back .... maybe we should have tried emoticons. :dance:

Β 

It honestly doesn't have anything to do with looks.... Β  Its attitude on the course.

Tony Β 

Out of interest why is Rory referred to as a euro more often than not as opposed to a Irishman or N. Irishman? Is that the rider cup influence do you think?

Because of the America ego...

African nations are Africa...

European nations are Euro...

We don't like to list other countries but rather larger geographically terms.

Tony Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!