IGNORED

"Moving the needle" and Rory vs. Rickie vs. Tiger

k-troop
Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

You should watch the Masters, when Tiger isn't playing. 
It would shock you how many people actually show up to watch all those hacks, chumps and posers who still manage to play a little bit of golf.

Honda Classic coverage saw a 38% bump over last year's.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Rory, Fowler and DJ move the needle a little.  But none of them come close to moving it like Tiger does. Tiger playing a practice round wouldn't outdraw the final round at the Masters, but it certainly would outdraw the final round in most regular PGA tour stops. 

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Honda Classic coverage saw a 38% bump over last year's.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger is "bad for the game," somehow, yet https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/02/26/Research-and-Ratings/Overnights.aspx

CBS drew a 2.9 overnight rating for the 3:15-6 pm ET block of Sunday’s 2018 Honda Classic, that’s up 38% over Rickie Fowler’s 2017 win on NBC. The Tiger effect played an incredible role given the competition in that window that included NASCAR (3.1), Winter Olympics (2.2) and NBA (Spurs-Cavs) on ABC (2.3). 

This after the lead-in from Big-10 matchup between Michigan State-Wisconsin drew only a 1.4 in its 1-3:15 pm ET window.

Saturday’s Honda Classic third round drew a 1.8 on CBS, with a 0.8 lead-in audience from Louisville-Virginia Tech.

#NeedleMover

I am sure you heard the biggest "Whew!" from TaylorMade, wondering if he would ever be healthy again. At least now it's looking like that gamble paid off.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yep, same thing I experienced when I watched Tiger for a couple holes at Torrey this year.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

Valspar drew a 5.1 rating yesterday. 3 of the 4 majors last year had ratings around 3.6, which means Valspar was about 40% higher. He is the biggest draw in golf history. Arnold is the only one in the same universe. 

Edited by Dr. Manhattan

• 1 year later...
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0418%2Fr531135_1

Tiger won a little more than $2 million by claiming his fifth green jacket. That's only the beginning of the money conversation.

Although GumGum hasn't yet analyzed this year's Masters numbers for its brands, Kim said the early numbers are staggering. He estimates the effect of Tiger winning to be north of $550 million at the bare minimum, a $100 million increase over last year's victory by Patrick Reed, which was tracked by GumGum in 2018.

A data point Kim mentions as evidence of the increase in value is a small sample size that reveals what has happened across the board by looking at two tweets from the Masters' official Twitter account.

The Masters tweets out video of the final putt from the champion each year. Reed's winning putt from 2018 has been viewed 393,000 times.

The same video of Woods this year, as of Monday morning, has been viewed 7.85 million times.

"That's the social effect of Tiger winning, and that type of effect, one, shows the power of social media," Kim said. "And that they [people] will continually view it and tune in, and that becomes a lasting effect back to brands on the value that they're actually getting in return."

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

6 hours ago, mvmac said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0418%2Fr531135_1

Tiger won a little more than $2 million by claiming his fifth green jacket. That's only the beginning...

That’s cool Mike! Pretty amazing really. And just imagine if Social Media was around when Jack played! He would’ve really moved the numbers! 😆

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!