IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When a ball can't stop on a flat green slower greens no golf can be played. Your asking the players to hole out from off the green to finish a hole.

[quote name="Mr. Desmond" url="/t/83040/2015-british-open-at-st-andrews-discussion-thread/590_10#post_1171095"] A little wind? People were blown over, and the ball will not stay in place. I'm surprised the R&A; did not send out a few markers this morning before they sent out players, to see if the course was playable for a Championship. But that would have taken imagination... creativity... a rational solution. [/quote] They are professionals.. Deal with it.. What are they going to cry? :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dude they had like 60 mph winds. You couldn't play American football in that, let alone golf.

They wouldn't call the football game, nor delay it.. Not even a comparison..

Eyad

Lots of players quite displeased with the way R&A; is handling this today. Spieth, DJ, David Hearn, Poulter, Westwood among others. Really mismanaged today and now ESPN/ABC are gonna hate the ratings drop on Monday. With winds like that, there really is no other decision. But my lord at least have everyone stop at the same time.

Jason Day got the worst of it, three putting twice to drop two shots. Some guys played two holes while some others didn't hit a single shot. They tried for a half hour to get Koepka's ball to come to rest and they couldn't do it so that group never played a shot. Oosthuizen will be faced with a six foot putt for par on the restart that was originally a two footer but the wind blew it away. Very unfair.

Bill M

As someone who put money on Dustin Johnson, I'm glad as hell they called it. If they kept playing, DJ would have dropped a few more strokes. Play tomorrow and he will probably end up with a birdie on 18. Keep them off the course :) haha

Btw, I bet DJ and Spieth kinda regret not finishing 14 last night, even though it was dark. Of course they probably didnt expect it to be this windy this morning, but would have probably made birdie from where they were and Jordan ends up 3-putting for par and DJ makes bogey after having an eagle chip.

They wouldn't call the football game, nor delay it.. Not even a comparison..

Yes, they would. Those kind of winds would make it impossible to throw or catch a ball, not to mention the debry flying everywhere. The point is that those kind of winds don't create an environment where skill wins. 60 mph winds make it improbably difficult to play sport.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Yes, they would. Those kind of winds would make it impossible to throw or catch a ball, not to mention the debry flying everywhere. The point is that those kind of winds don't create an environment where skill wins. 60 mph winds make it improbably difficult to play sport.

In football that means it would become a running game.. They play in snow storms where no one can keep their footing C'mon not even a comparison.. The golf guys are spoiled that's all.. I hope the wind picks up tomorrow as well, I would love to see how many days they are willing to delay it.. This will definitely play into the hands of the guys that hit it low for sure..

Eyad

Yes, they would. Those kind of winds would make it impossible to throw or catch a ball, not to mention the debry flying everywhere.

The point is that those kind of winds don't create an environment where skill wins. 60 mph winds make it improbably difficult to play sport.

What game or games was it that the NFL cancelled due to high wind?

What game or games was it that the NFL cancelled due to high wind?

I'm pretty sure the only time they do anything of the sorts is when there is lightning..and that's understandable because someone can get struck :) [video]http://youtu.be/mEXaZ4jrgjI[/video]

Eyad

Yes, they would. Those kind of winds would make it impossible to throw or catch a ball, not to mention the debry flying everywhere.

The point is that those kind of winds don't create an environment where skill wins. 60 mph winds make it improbably difficult to play sport.

No they would play. They've played games in blizzards before with winds just as high. Look up the Patriots-Raiders playoff game. There was a game between the 49ers-Bears like 10 years ago where winds gusted over 60mph and they played. But different type of game than golf.

In football that means it would become a running game.. They play in snow storms where no one can keep their footing C'mon not even a comparison..

The golf guys are spoiled that's all.. I hope the wind picks up tomorrow as well, I would love to see how many days they are willing to delay it..

This will definitely play into the hands of the guys that hit it low for sure..

What a bunch of babies cancelling in the rain storm earlier in the week! Can't a grown man hit a golf ball out of a three inch puddle?

What a group of wussies not finishing in one day when it gets dark, suspending for darkness. Who the heck needs to see a pin to hit at the green? Didn't they play practice rounds in the sunshine? Just engage your memory for Pete's sake.

Only pansies go indoors during lightning storms. Just put a friggin rubber suit on and wait for the jolt to pass. Sheesh!!!!

In football that means it would become a running game.. They play in snow storms where no one can keep their footing C'mon not even a comparison.. The golf guys are spoiled that's all.. I hope the wind picks up tomorrow as well, I would love to see how many days they are willing to delay it.. This will definitely play into the hands of the guys that hit it low for sure..

It has nothing to do with being spoiled or hitting golf shots. Winds were not 60, gusts up to 48, but, because hole positions were on high points of greens to protect against potential rain and puddling, the balls would not stay still on the greens. This is the reason play is called, and the only reason. These guys are prepared to hit in these wind conditions and an event would never be suspended if this was the only consideration. If balls do not stay still on greens, it is impossible to play the game so the suspension was warranted.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

In football that means it would become a running game.. They play in snow storms where no one can keep their footing C'mon not even a comparison..

The golf guys are spoiled that's all.. I hope the wind picks up tomorrow as well, I would love to see how many days they are willing to delay it..

This will definitely play into the hands of the guys that hit it low for sure..

What's the real issue here?

Did you have the popcorn, burgers, dogs, and beer ready for a love match with the TV, and now it is spoiled?

:-$

I think it's a bit much to ask a professional to hit a moving object in golf. It's okay in baseball or cricket, but this is golf.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

What's the real issue here? Did you have the popcorn, burgers, dogs, and beer ready for a love match with the TV, and now it is spoiled? :-$ I think it's a bit much to ask a professional to hit a moving object in golf. It's okay in baseball or cricket, but this is golf.

LOL It was a rant but everyone is so uptight and protective that's all.. God forbid anyone say anything about golfers.. Ok.. I take it all back guys.. They are the toughest bravest sportsmen in the world.. We good now? :)

Eyad

LOL It was a rant but everyone is so uptight and protective that's all.. God forbid anyone say anything about golfers.. Ok.. I take it all back guys.. They are the toughest bravest sportsmen in the world.. We good now? :)

It's not that. It's your complete lack of sensibility in your comment. I'd agree on the rant if it was in the USA with the over use of lift clean and place. That isn't even close to what they are dealing with.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's not that. It's your complete lack of sensibility in your comment. I'd agree on the rant if it was in the USA with the over use of lift clean and place. That isn't even close to what they are dealing with.

Hmmm.. Lack of sensibility? I think if everyone just stopped being so over protective of their idols they would have seen that I was just having fun.. (Apparently not allowed). It got to the point where claims were made that even football games would be cancelled because of these horrific winds. The horror...

Eyad

No they would play. They've played games in blizzards before with winds just as high. Look up the Patriots-Raiders playoff game. There was a game between the 49ers-Bears like 10 years ago where winds gusted over 60mph and they played. But different type of game than golf.

I agree I watched that Pats Raiders game. You can not compare the two sports. It is sad that this happens to me it makes weather rather than golfer talent the biggest determining factor as to who wins.

Hmmm.. Lack of sensibility? I think if everyone just stopped being so over protective of their idols they would have seen that I was just having fun.. (Apparently not allowed). It got to the point where claims were made that even football games would be cancelled because of these horrific winds. The horror...

I would say a very unique lack of sensibility, yes. You have absolutely no understanding for why play was called. We're not defending the players, we're defending the R&A; for making the decision.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!