IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I suspect it is too. I am definitely an Albany insider. But in some way, it seems Albany must think I'm special.

Most of my rounds solo or grouped have been very pleasant. But the unusual number of incidences is not related to my behavior on course. I go to enjoy myself never looking for confrontation which is why the unusual behavior stands out in stark contrast. After multiple situations, I only expect that it may happen - not that it will. But please feel free to keep telling me that any instance of being harassed is most certainly my fault (through misdeed or misperception). If you repeat it often enough I may just accept it as the truth.

Correction. That should read, "I am definitely NOT an Albany insider." I am a resident, though, and one reason I play the muni for cost (along with course quality) reasons.

Kevin

2nd other poster with similar experience / story. In this case, I personally would have insisted they go first off the tee, especially knowing I couldn't pull away from them on a crowded course. Perhaps they had been getting grief for holding others up in the past and didn't want to be blamed for their time being pushed back by a group behind them. If I am late to the tee I assume I am at the mercy of the starter and do my best to go with the flow. Would it have been against the club rules to let them through at the turn? If it was crowded what would the difference be for your group?

It wasn't my call as I was a guest. But we weren't necessarily late to the tee. We were to the side while my brother-in-law spoke with the Pro about something and stepped on the tee a minute later than the posted tee time. The women's tee time was nine minutes later so it's not like they were supposed to be on the tee at that minute, but they were rude from the start and my brother-in-law wasn't going to take any crap from them. It's his club, his call. I was along for the ride and I had no problem with it. Frankly, I was taken aback by their confrontational attitude.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played today with my SIL and grandson (10 yr. old, second time on course). First off the tee at 6 am, with one threesome 8 minutes back and regular ladies club 16 minutes behind.

Tee on #4 waited and offered the threesome to play through, junior needed more time to be coached. Threesome was happy to pass us, ladies never came within 2 full holes.

Had plenty of time for Junior, Pop and I to play standard or slightly quicker pace, ladies never came close.

Great experience for junior, Pop and I played at our own pace, ladies were not delayed (the gals were on a strict pace clock).

This can be done with equity for all. But NOT if one group thinks it owns the course because they are faster or better.

In other words, KMA, you who think your silly fast pace supersedes the enjoyment of those whom you think do not meet your bullpucky standards! :mad:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I am suprised at your post. But see things from it. "Played ot own pace" KMA KIND OF TELLS ME THINGS ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE OF PLAY NOW AND TO WHO'S STANDARD. DISAPOINTED.
  • Upvote 1

I am suprised at your post. But see things from it.

"Played ot own pace"

KMA

KIND OF TELLS ME THINGS ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE OF PLAY NOW AND TO WHO'S STANDARD. DISAPOINTED.

You got it @Hatchman , KMA.

Pay your 30k initiation to join your exclusive mens only club and leave us seniors, juniors, and ladies to our munis!

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Played today with my SIL and grandson (10 yr. old, second time on course). First off the tee at 6 am, with one threesome 8 minutes back and regular ladies club 16 minutes behind.

Tee on #4 waited and offered the threesome to play through, junior needed more time to be coached. Threesome was happy to pass us, ladies never came within 2 full holes.

Had plenty of time for Junior, Pop and I to play standard or slightly quicker pace, ladies never came close.

Great experience for junior, Pop and I played at our own pace, ladies were not delayed (the gals were on a strict pace clock).

This can be done with equity for all. But NOT if one group thinks it owns the course because they are faster or better.

In other words, KMA, you who think your silly fast pace supersedes the enjoyment of those whom you think do not meet your bullpucky standards!

I am suprised at your post. But see things from it.

"Played ot own pace"

KMA

KIND OF TELLS ME THINGS ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE OF PLAY NOW AND TO WHO'S STANDARD. DISAPOINTED.

Have to agree, that KMA comment was unnecessary and a bit like flipping everyone off.  You happened to have played fast enough that nobody caught you except the threesome.  It's also a Tuesday morning, and on some courses you can get away with that.  At other courses you might have been steamrolled.  The fact that it was a league behind helped, as while they may have had a pace requirement, that doesn't mean that their pace was all that fast.  If there had been 3 or 4 twosomes or threesomes or foursomes of regular players behind you it could very well have been a very different story.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

...a bit like flipping everyone off...

You betcha! :dance:

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

...a bit like flipping everyone off...

You betcha!

You really aren't trying to make many friends, are you?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You got it @Hatchman , KMA. Pay your 30k initiation to join your exclusive mens only club and leave us seniors, juniors, and ladies to our munis!

That's pretty harsh, but I understand now knowing your underlying contempt of certain golfers that I am not one of. I can't even afford golf shoes and play in tennis shoes! Beg course pros to let me go out for free if I take a new group out, like the ones you mention. Mini tour player, foreign guests, etc. and yes even disabled players. I even loan equipment to them if needed like clubs I find golfers have thrown in the ponds and woods following slower players, etc. but me, my meager existence goes towards my medical bills and I don't belong to a club except hair club for men. But there is one friend I play with that bears a striking similarity to this thread, we were paired in an event because no one else could play his pace of play, but unfortunately by hole 4 the event had backed up leaving two holes ahead of us clear, sounds familiar? Thus, the marshals and pro started following us. Wasn't real fun and an argument pursued. Oh, we were even in a cart as a foursome! Finally, I pulled my bag from the cart and started walking. Had a better time and I think they did as the pro hounded them. I didn't mention your need to select 0600 tee times hid that from my other post you put in your diary. Need to stop selectively revealing things. That's also telling of someone who come hell or high water is going to get there first and do his own thing. Tossed many of them from the ballpark with a smile. Have a good day sir because I think in your mind you think you are right and are what I call a right fighter when it's not going you way. TST critism is hard to swallow, most are.

In other words, KMA, you who think your silly fast pace supersedes the enjoyment of those whom you think do not meet your bullpucky standards!

Thank you for just vindicating every criticism directed at you in this thread.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

OP would hate me and we live in the same part of town so I apologize now if you ever encounter me. I am the fastest of the fast. Last night I shot 80 starting at 5:10 and finishing at 7:02 and that was playing 3 holes behind a slow group before they let me pass.

This happened when I played last Sunday. I got to first tee and there was a guy and his kid just standing there so thinking they would be slow I killed time on the putting green before starting. A walking single that looked serious came up and teed off ahead of me while I was putting. I waited a good 15 minutes putting and chipping before I went back to number one tee. Got to my second shot and he was still on 1 green. I finished the hole and he was still waiting on 2 tee so I drove up and he said may as well play together since the dad kid group was slow so we did.

After we finished 2 the dad kid were standing around again and I mentioned I would be making a move to get around them. Told him slow play gets me out of rhythm and I hate watching people take ten shots to get to the green then take forever putting out like it the US Open. Pretty sure it turned him off because he said he'd be skipping a few holes to jump on 6 which is adjacent to 2 because he could see a gap. Later skater. He ended up playing half of 6 and I saw him on 7 tee as I finished 3.

Fast forward to 8 I catch him again, I played 3-4-5-6-7 in the time it took him to get from 6 green to 8 green. On 9 on I waiting behind him as he waits on a 4some to clear the green. They stop by the clubhouse and he beelines to 10 tee. He keeps looking back and it evident he's trying to avoid me because he is walking fast. Fruitless effort because I am waiting on him again 130 out from 10 green. He doesn't even bother starting 11 and says dang you are too fast. I finished 12 and couldn't see him behind me.

I won't hit into anyone but I will run you over. Where I play most they point me to which ever side is most open because they know I play fast. Last night I started at 5:05 and was walking off 5 green at 5:28. Was hauling ass to get to 10 because I was meeting someone to play the back at 6.

Dave :-)

OP would hate me and we live in the same part of town so I apologize now if you ever encounter me. I am the fastest of the fast. Last night I shot 80 starting at 5:10 and finishing at 7:02 and that was playing 3 holes behind a slow group before they let me pass.   This happened when I played last Sunday. I got to first tee and there was a guy and his kid just standing there so thinking they would be slow I killed time on the putting green before starting. A walking single that looked serious came up and teed off ahead of me while I was putting. I waited a good 15 minutes putting and chipping before I went back to number one tee. Got to my second shot and he was still on 1 green. I finished the hole and he was still waiting on 2 tee so I drove up and he said may as well play together since the dad kid group was slow so we did. After we finished 2 the dad kid were standing around again and I mentioned I would be making a move to get around them. Told him slow play gets me out of rhythm and I hate watching people take ten shots to get to the green then take forever putting out like it the US Open. Pretty sure it turned him off because he said he'd be skipping a few holes to jump on 6 which is adjacent to 2 because he could see a gap. Later skater. He ended up playing half of 6 and I saw him on 7 tee as I finished 3. Fast forward to 8 I catch him again, I played 3-4-5-6-7 in the time it took him to get from 6 green to 8 green. On 9 on I waiting behind him as he waits on a 4some to clear the green. They stop by the clubhouse and he beelines to 10 tee. He keeps looking back and it evident he's trying to avoid me because he is walking fast. Fruitless effort because I am waiting on him again 130 out from 10 green. He doesn't even bother starting 11 and says dang you are too fast. I finished 12 and couldn't see him behind me. I won't hit into anyone but I will run you over. Where I play most they point me to which ever side is most open because they know I play fast. Last night I started at 5:05 and was walking off 5 green at 5:28. Was hauling ass to get to 10 because I was meeting someone to play the back at 6.

You're welcome in our group any time! :-) As a 2 or 3-some, if a single asks to join us, I'll always tell them that they're absolutely welcome, but be aware, if the course conditions allow it, our target pace is sub-3 hours. Preferably way sub....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@dave2512 you and I could play together. I feel compelled to tell my golf TST friend @CR McDivot what happened to me this morning at the budget course I play. No one in sight. A few warm up swings and fairway tee, approach shot green, 2 putt par hole one. Saw movement on green two. Teed off on two. Darn, same thing happened as on one. Par two. Drove across street to three, traffic jam at tee box 3 carts and mixed 5 seniors ranging to 80+. I was content to read my LSW book, but they called me up having hit the par 3 tees. I squeezed in, thanked them, and quickly hit a nice shot from 149 that nicked the stick. We all grinned, drove up towards the green they were short, one gave it to me but I said I needed to put out if that was all right. They tended the flag I tapped in and the knuckled me. Hell I've got a white beard and I'm no spring chicken. One asked me to put his. Point is, the sportsmanship was permeating everywhere. I had the feeling today as I am tuning up for a senior invitational. That made my day. I made theirs with the near hole in one before thier eyes. One of the marshals came by later and said something to me about it. They must have said something. Remember CR we influence each other's experiences. Some golfers can't help it if they hit straight.

I think some of you missed the point of my last post.

I chose the day and time of yesterdays round for several reasons. SIL had the day off and wanted to play early to avoid the heat of the day as we would be walking and Junior had never walked 18.

I checked the available tee times before reserving. There were 3 times available before the regular Ladies League. Reserved the middle one, knowing from experience that the ladies would play to a 4 hour pace. Surely this would give us plenty of time to play to our standard 3.5 hrs without being rushed, even with Junior needing a lot more shots.

Turns out a single walked on and the pro shop wisely sent him out on the first tee before us. He played fast and we never saw him beyond #2. We noticed by #3 that the threesome behind wanted to play faster, so on #4 we had them play through. As I had figured the ladies played to their comfortable pace and never came closer than 2 holes back.

As a result of the course's good scheduling, and our planning all had a good experience.

Is there some reason you cannot schedule your rounds to suit your desired pace also? Or adjust to the conditions as they appear?

If not, I suggest you belly up and join a private club where you don't have to deal with us commoners. :whistle:

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

You're welcome in our group any time!

As a 2 or 3-some, if a single asks to join us, I'll always tell them that they're absolutely welcome, but be aware, if the course conditions allow it, our target pace is sub-3 hours. Preferably way sub....

I'm not at all for slow play, but this I'll never understand.  How do you even have time to enjoy yourself in that amount of time?

That sounds to me like you guys would effectively just be playing polo adjacent to each other for 150-160 (or whatever) minutes.

If not, I suggest you belly up and join a private club where you don't have to deal with us commoners.

Not everyone can choose from all hours of the day to play, and are forced to play during busy times. Why must the faster players "adjust to the conditions as they appear" while the slower players enjoy their pace unmolested?

The main issue with your previous post was this:

I would say in response to that:

In other words, KMA, you who think your silly slow pace supersedes the enjoyment of those whom you think do not meet your bullpucky standards! :mad:

(Note: I am not actually angry about this, just pointing out that the comment can be used by both sides and is equally inflammatory in each case)

It goes both ways. If you're going to be openly hostile to those who play faster than you, those same people will likely end up seeming hostile to you. Just do what Hatchman described and be friendly, courteous, and respectful of other groups on the course regardless of the pace people play at and the enjoyment of the day will be greater for all parties involved. Neither slow players nor fast players should have priority on a course, but they should both understand the other group and do their best to ensure the maximum enjoyment of all parties involved. That means don't rush because of people behind you, but don't try to intentionally hold them up either. Don't feel obligated to slow down if you notice that you're catching up to a group ahead of you, but don't try to bully your way through them either.

I'm not at all for slow play, but this I'll never understand.  How do you even have time to enjoy yourself in that amount of time?

That sounds to me like you guys would effectively just be playing polo adjacent to each other for 150-160 (or whatever) minutes.

I play a round as a single in just under 2 hours with a cart on an empty course, accomplished by pulling the cart next to my ball (the front left tire ends up about a foot or two from my ball since any objects to the right of my ball do not bother me while I swing), shooting my distance with a laser rangefinder while I'm still sitting and then going on with my fairly short (I usually only take about 20 seconds from club selection to hitting a shot) pre-shot routine. If there are 3 players in a group all doing this, going directly to their balls and merely waiting for the others to hit before they do, it buzzes along smoothly. You still have plenty of time for your conversation on the putting green, the teebox, when you're in a cart with the same person, and when you're near the ball of a player in the other cart.

To me it is more fun to play this way simply because it's efficient with little wasted time. I don't have to feel like I'm doing nothing for a good portion of my round, since most of it is spent either golfing (pre-shot routine, planning, actually hitting shots) or transporting myself between periods of golfing. I just don't dawdle or stand around just to talk (I'd invite my friends over to my house for activities that don't cost money if I wanted to just talk and hang out) and it ends up going faster since conversation and such happens during the golf rather than instead of golf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

You're welcome in our group any time!

As a 2 or 3-some, if a single asks to join us, I'll always tell them that they're absolutely welcome, but be aware, if the course conditions allow it, our target pace is sub-3 hours. Preferably way sub....

Actually, he finished an 80 round in 112 minutes.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If not, I suggest you belly up and join a private club where you don't have to deal with us commoners. :whistle:

You really have to stop right fighting by ending your post with a jab. Doesn't bolster your argument.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!