IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always thought slam referred to "4" but whatever. Needless to say if he wins the PGA he will have come closer to the calendar slam than any player ever has and that's an achievement in itself.

I always thought slam referred to "4" but whatever. Needless to say if he wins the PGA he will have come closer to the calendar slam than any player ever has and that's an achievement in itself.

As we learned in the Tiger Slam thread, Slam originates with Bridge, which isn't about getting 4, it's about getting 13. Safe to say that the definition of slam in our sporting context means "all." And since they are referring to the American Slam, and talking about majors, it's pretty easy to see what they mean.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

See? Definitions change all the time. Now you don't even have to win FOUR of anything to get a "slam."

Although I don't recall hearing the term "American Slam" before - maybe I just missed it - I don't believe its definition has changed; in fact, such a term implies to me that the Grand Slam retains the traditional definition and new/modified versions (i.e., Tiger Slam) arise as appropriate.

But IMO this is all kind of silly, the achievement is judged on its own regardless of what name one uses.

Early weather forecast looks pretty good. Only day where storms may come into play is Friday (60% chance). Looks like winds will be up on Thursday, gusting over 25mph, but not too bad the rest of the week.

Man I haven't been this excited for a PGA Championship in a long time. I really think Whistling Straits is one of the best venues the USO or PGA get to. Love this course. Of course what happened in 2010 has added to the excitement this time around, but damn this should be fun this week.

I really have no idea which way to lean. Seems like there are just too many very good options for a W. Should be fun; lets hope for good weather.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Man I haven't been this excited for a PGA Championship in a long time. I really think Whistling Straits is one of the best venues the USO or PGA get to. Love this course. Of course what happened in 2010 has added to the excitement this time around, but damn this should be fun this week.

I really have no idea which way to lean. Seems like there are just too many very good options for a W. Should be fun; lets hope for good weather.

I agree. It's not just the course, it's the year we've had. Say what you want about Jordan and Rory being "hyped too much" by the media, but they've brought an interest back to golf for a lot of us we haven't had since Tiger's prime days. I'm really anxious to see how Rory looks after not playing for a month and if Jordan can make history....and oh yeah, I forgot...Tiger's playing, too.

See? Definitions change all the time. Now you don't even have to win FOUR of anything to get a "slam."

Lol. Yeah, but this slam takes place in the same season.

If he finishes 25th or better, he'll have beaten Tiger, who won the Masters and US in 2002, finished 28th at the British Open, then 2nd at the PGA. I have a feeling that Spieth is going to finish better than 25th :-P

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

If he finishes 25th or better, he'll have beaten Tiger, who won the Masters and US in 2002, finished 28th at the British Open, then 2nd at the PGA. I have a feeling that Spieth is going to finish better than 25th :-P

Maybe the 2002 Tiger but not the 2000 one.

Maybe the 2002 Tiger but not the 2000 one.

Nope. I didn't mention 2000 because I assumed you automatically disqualified him because he didn't win the Masters. You said in your comment that Spieth has come closer than anyone else to the Calendar Grand Slam. But if you aren't disqualifying him, then no; nobody else has come closer.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Nope. I didn't mention 2000 because I assumed you automatically disqualified him because he didn't win the Masters. You said in your comment that Spieth has come closer than anyone else to the Calendar Grand Slam. But if you aren't disqualifying him, then no; nobody else has come closer.

No, I was just referring to finishes for all 4 majors as a whole. If Spieth wins, he'll top Tiger's 3 wins and a 5th in 2000. That's as close as anyone's ever come, even if Tiger didn't have a chance to "truly" do it that year.

Btw, sounds like the course may play pretty easy, pending wind. Already talks of 62 out there from commentators this morning. I hope not. Would like to see the course play challenging and not just favor the bombers like a lot are saying it will.

But I think you'll still have to be straight off the tee, not just long. Those fairways are kinda narrow. If DJ has a driving week like he did at Chamber's then look the eff out.

Colin P.

Question: don't players choose playing partners on Tues practice rounds? I ask because seems like strange partners today: Rory with Poults and Danny Lee and Tiger was with DL III. Could be they chose those partners but I wasn't aware of close relationships between them.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Question: don't players choose playing partners on Tues practice rounds?

I ask because seems like strange partners today: Rory with Poults and Danny Lee and Tiger was with DL III. Could be they chose those partners but I wasn't aware of close relationships between them.

I think they choose. I see Luiten do a lot of practise rounds with his good friend Wiesberger for example.

~Jorrit

• Administrator
Question: don't players choose playing partners on Tues practice rounds?

I ask because seems like strange partners today: Rory with Poults and Danny Lee and Tiger was with DL III. Could be they chose those partners but I wasn't aware of close relationships between them.

No, you typically have to sign up for them.

Some amateurs we've coached have played practice rounds at the USWO with Paula Creamer, Lexi Thompson, etc.

So sometimes a group of pros that are friends will all sign up together, but often they don't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/whistlingstraitsstra/actual.htm

Thanks for this. So I can have more idea how hard the course is for players.

Wish no more victims from bunkers - they are almost 1 thousand! OMG :loco:

Early weather forecast looks pretty good. Only day where storms may come into play is Friday (60% chance). Looks like winds will be up on Thursday, gusting over 25mph, but not too bad the rest of the week.

After hearing Tiger's comments about how bad the mosquitoes are up there I'm wondering if I should even try to go. I tend to get bitten pretty bad and the idea of being outdoors with mosquitoes for 8 or 9 years is scaring the bejeesus out of me :) I've also been told by someone who is already up there the course is very difficult to walk. I suppose I just have to put on my big boy pants and give it a shot but I'm getting a little worried. Do they let you bring bug spray in there? The list of prohibited items is so long I can't keep track!

After hearing Tiger's comments about how bad the mosquitoes are up there I'm wondering if I should even try to go. I tend to get bitten pretty bad and the idea of being outdoors with mosquitoes for 8 or 9 years is scaring the bejeesus out of me :) I've also been told by someone who is already up there the course is very difficult to walk. I suppose I just have to put on my big boy pants and give it a shot but I'm getting a little worried. Do they let you bring bug spray in there? The list of prohibited items is so long I can't keep track!

I have not seen Tiger's comment, but in several days of playing courses in Kohler area in mid-July including WS we had no issues with mosquitoes, and my wife is very sensitive to this kind of thing and uses bug spray. I know the skeeters can be highly seasonal so perhaps they are worse now than then, but if so, you can time your visit other than mid-August. Plus, if the breeze is blowing you should not get them.

It's not like your local muni, but it's not that difficult to walk (assuming you are in some kind of shape and aren't spending ALL your time off the fairway), and a caddy will be carrying your bag (he's the one who will be working hard). Honestly, other courses that are part of Kohler, like Irish, are perhaps longer and harder to walk (WS is only one of 4 really nice courses associated with Kohler). I'm 65 and had no walking issues (shot making - another matter). Watching the GC pre-event broadcasts makes me want to go back, and IMO most golfers would enjoy it.

I should be getting compensated for all this promo stuff.

Note: This thread is 3169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!