IGNORED

New Windows 10 - Discussions

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. New Windows 10 OS

• Like? Pros
    • Dis-Like? Cons
    • Will make determination later.

I think I prefer 10 to 8 solely because it isn't such a huge change. I imagine though that I would like 8.1 after using 10 for a little while. It almost feels like Windows 10 is what 8 should have been, as a transitional os to get people used to the metro style interface, then windows 8.1 should have been released as Windows 9 for a more gradual transition. Probably would've left more people happy compared to the rapid transition to 8. The main reason I didn't switch once 8.1 came out was money, because I didn't particularly feel like buying a new os when mine worked. That's the genius behind the free upgrade for Microsoft. If they get people all on the latest os maybe they're hoping windows phone sales and Microsoft store sales will increase?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am on my 3rd attempt to install ... this time I paid attention to the error messages and researched them. Since I use my Mac most of the time I was starting the update and leaving it, but when I came back, the screen was black and appeared dead ... rebooted and it put itself back to 8.1 ... the second time, I watched it, and it hangs at 25% ... research said to remove things that are plugged, so I removed an SD card I forgot about and retiring now.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

It almost feels like Windows 10 is what 8 should have been,

But (unfortunately) that seems to be SOP for MS.  Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.  Windows XP is what ME should have been. 3.1 is what ... (did anyone actually see a 1.0? or a 3.0?) :-X

I'm still not upgrading to 10.  My Windows computing needs are pretty easily met by 7.  I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade yet--I haven't seen a problem with 7 that needs fixing (or am I completely missing the boat?).

(Full disclosure:  My windows 7 laptop was dying a few months back and I didn't want to buy a new 8.1 machine or wait for 10.  Bought a MacBook Pro instead.  Threw on parallels and windows 7 for the stuff that will only run on windows, and do everything else on the Mac side.  So yeah, I'm keeping current and up-to-date, but just using Mac, and then using 7 for legacy stuff.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Update ... I had a Levono Y400 laptop and had to do the instructions below ... in my case I disconnected wireless keyboard, mouse, and monitor ... I honestly think it was because I an SD card from my camera inserted. Next, you need to disconnect [U]all[/U] peripherals connected to your PC. So, apart from the installation media; keyboard, and mouse; everything needs to be disconnected. Furthermore, you’ll also need to unplug the SATA cable for your DVD drive; and all storage drives except for the one you wish to install the OS on. Now I am off to play with it a bit (Windows 10 that is)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Installed it on my surface this morning ... went very smooth! I certainly prefer 10 over 8.1.

Really dislike the forced updates. I know what I'm doing for the most part so I pick and choose the updates and do it at my convenience. For the OS to stop you from working for whatever time it takes to install the update really pisses me off. There doesn't seem to be a work around either. Thanks Microsoft. And the something happened, stumbled, we all have bad day error messages. Not funny. Boot up times are annoyingly slow compared to 8 now that I've worked with it more.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread on the sand trap. For disclosure, I've worked for Microsoft for 9 years in our Cloud & Enterprise Division (not Windows). I hope you all appreciate what Microsoft is moving toward with Windows 10 and that it's a time when the company must re-invent itself in some very fundamental ways. Windows in particular has never had so much fierce competition as it does today. That being said, I'm excited about this release (as well as our track record on things like privacy) in a way I haven't been in the past. Auto-updating for Home users is critical for Microsoft to remain relevant. Imagine walking into Best Buy with Windows XP on your PC at home and seeing this huge array of amazing non-Windows devices. That's the situation we face right now with a large % of the install base. This is the reason for "Windows as a service". Folks need to know they have the most modern experience and they are not carrying around a time-capsule with their Windows 10 devices. There are several big things that will take a while to percolate, such as universal apps and Cortana. Anyway, I'm happy to discuss some Win10 related stuff and maybe answer some questions as best I can, while I cannot officially represent Microsoft, just be your helpful golf geek buddy.

Cheers - adam

• Upvote 1

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread on the sand trap. For disclosure, I've worked for Microsoft for 9 years in our Cloud & Enterprise Division (not Windows). I hope you all appreciate what Microsoft is moving toward with Windows 10 and that it's a time when the company must re-invent itself in some very fundamental ways. Windows in particular has never had so much fierce competition as it does today. That being said, I'm excited about this release (as well as our track record on things like privacy) in a way I haven't been in the past. Auto-updating for Home users is critical for Microsoft to remain relevant. Imagine walking into Best Buy with Windows XP on your PC at home and seeing this huge array of amazing non-Windows devices. That's the situation we face right now with a large % of the install base. This is the reason for "Windows as a service". Folks need to know they have the most modern experience and they are not carrying around a time-capsule with their Windows 10 devices. There are several big things that will take a while to percolate, such as universal apps and Cortana. Anyway, I'm happy to discuss some Win10 related stuff and maybe answer some questions as best I can, while I cannot officially represent Microsoft, just be your helpful golf geek buddy.

Cheers - adam

Auto updating is on Professional as well, yes? I think you have to get Enterprise to control updates. I get why Microsoft is doing it. But those who aren't tech savvy enough to override them will never likely. I just hate it when I'm doing things and the OS starts chugging away. Hate it. It's unfair and some of it has to do with IT departments but it's how I feel.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah, I agree and am subjected to the same experience. It has to get better, smarter, unnoticeable. Some advancements in tech only come through pain, unfortunately. If auto-updating negatively affects people's experience and perception it's something that must be solved ASAP. But it's also something every software company must-do for so many reasons. Connected cars, city infrastructure, personal electronics, sensors, cameras, etc. etc.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

It's murky what info is being sent to Redmond, but info is sent even if you've turned everything off and aren't logged in w/a Msft email account. http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/ Disabled the update service via computer management - services. Hopefully that works. Unrelated but the malware installing BIOS on Lenovo machines. Ugh.

Steve

I'm still experiencing lagginess, working with the in place install. The clean install is better. It would nice to see the update progress when the machine is laggy. While it's nice all the improvements, the bottom line is what was once a 100 hp engine is now between 50 and 75. I have to go contrarian and say I'm not liking the upgrade so far, performance wise. In place updates - not good for me both OS X and Windows. Ymmv.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I like Windows 8, but will probably install 10, at least on one machine at first, to see how it holds up. I'll wait a while until things stabilize a bit.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

After giving it some time to settle, more updates and optimizations, in place update to Windows 10 is still l--a--g---g----y. Nowhere near the zip Win8/8.1 had. Usually 2, 3 steps (mouse clicks, button clicks, keyboard clicks) ahead of the OS. Tempted to do a clean install as other machine where a clean install was done performance is about the same as before. In place updates are hard, yes, but had no problems with 3 consecutive in place updates w/OS X - Snow Leopard to Mavericks, nary a problem.

Steve

I like Windows 8, but will probably install 10, at least on one machine at first, to see how it holds up. I'll wait a while until things stabilize a bit.

I'd wait until the first service pack.  I've had 2 family members upgrade against my advice and both are miserable with the performance and stability.  If you have a new PC it might not be so bad, but I'd wait on upgrading a PC older than 2 years.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

The fact that it shares the same minimum hardware requirements as Windows Vista (at least for the Premium experience) is a fantastic achievement but that's only part of the story; Windows 10 actually runs better than its beleaguered ancestor. Much better.

We tried an experiment at TechRadar to see how low Windows 10 could go. I sourced the oldest (but probably not the slowest) processor that could run it. Microsoft says that it needs to have at least a 1GHz clock rate with IA-32 or x64 architecture as well as support for NX bit, PAE, and SSE2.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/you-don-t-need-a-crazy-powerful-pc-to-run-windows-10-here-s-the-proof-1288287

This is an ancient 12 yo processor.

It's likely not that you don't have enough computer, it's just plain slow and buggy.

Steve

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/you-don-t-need-a-crazy-powerful-pc-to-run-windows-10-here-s-the-proof-1288287

This is an ancient 12 yo processor.

It's likely not that you don't have enough computer, it's just plain slow and buggy.

It could also be they are using generic drivers for the hardware interfaces (video, sound, keyboard, motherboard) because native ones weren't developed for Windows 10 due to the age of the hardware.

Joe Paradiso

I've been having issues with mouse stuff. Highlighting text is flaky and single and double clicks are often misinterpreted. If I use my laptop's touchpad the issues don't happen so it must be the driver for my wireless mouse. I looked around for a driver update but couldn't find anything.

Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!