IGNORED

2015-2016 Soccer (Football) Thread

RJH999
Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The EPL starts Saturday! Yaaaaaaaaaaas.

Go Everton!

I "literally" just finished listening to the MIB preseason podcast 90 seconds ago. :beer:

I'm quite excited about this season as well.  I just kind of really got into the league last year.  I watched off and on for several years so I've known of most of the teams for awhile, but this is the first year where I'll be into it from the start.

FWIW, according to Dave and Rog and the handful of their guests I've heard in the last few days, the consensus frontrunners are Chelsea and Arsenal this year.

From this podcast, I also just learned the story of Bournemouth, and I will definitely be rooting for that underdog story.  6 years ago they barely avoided being relegated from the fourth to the fifth level league, then got promoted to the third level a year later. 3 seasons after that they made it to the second level and this year to the top.  And they play in a stadium that is 116 years old and holds 12k people.

Hope they do well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Subscribed to thread. Some years I find time to watch more closely than others but hey if I'm subscribed here, I'll prob get more info than I usually do. As those who know me might expect, I tend to root for underdogs. Soft spot for Everton for some reason. Enjoying MU fall from dominance. Plus any recently promoted team.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

All the experts are picking my Chelsea to win again which is a sure sign that we will finish 3rd.

Michael

All the experts are picking my Chelsea to win again which is a sure sign that we will finish 3rd.

Your Chelsea? Mr Abramovic pleased to meet you :-\ . I just love the idea of a Russian billionaire hanging around at TST. My team isn't in the Premier League anyhow.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Your Chelsea? Mr Abramovic pleased to meet you :-\ . I just love the idea of a Russian billionaire hanging around at TST. My team isn't in the Premier League anyhow.

A guy can dream, right?

Michael

Im hoping for a less buttock clenching season for my team, Huddersfield Town. We managed to stay in the championship with a game or 2 to spare last season so cant be doing with that again.

We have Hull City tomorrow so id be happy to get a point from that game

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I still don't have a team.  I'm hoping to find one this year but we'll just have to wait and see.  This sums up my philosophy pretty well:

Don't rush into picking a team. The beauty of the BPL is that the majority of games are played on Saturdays and Sundays, mostly in the morning or early afternoon in the US. With the NBC sports network, you can watch every single match either on TV or streaming online (not a pitch for NBC, I swear). Take a couple months, watch as many games as you can, and you will naturally begin rooting for certain teams over others.

I'm a Spurs fan, but most weekends I'll watch as many games as I can. As the season goes on, I'll begin rooting for teams over others. If you become a fan of the entire league, great! I have a bunch of friends like that. If you organically become attached to a specific team, that's great too! But don't randomly pick a team because some stranger on the internet advised you. A great thing about being a fan of the BPL is that we're not tied to teams by geography.

Just don't support Arsenal. They're scum.

I'm waiting for it to happen organically, because otherwise it won't stick.  I'm still at the stage where I'm just a fan of the entire league over any other league.  I find myself being more interested in Swansea/Crystal Palace or Southhampton/West Brom on NBC Sports Network than I am for Juventus/Roma or Milan/Inter on Bien.  Go figure.

Im hoping for a less buttock clenching season for my team, Huddersfield Town. We managed to stay in the championship with a game or 2 to spare last season so cant be doing with that again.

I can't imagine what this must be like.  I am a San Diego Padres fan and I'm trying to imagine getting near the end of another poor season with the possibility that they will drop to the minors if they don't win a couple of games.  Has to be excruciating.

We have Hull City tomorrow so id be happy to get a point from that game

LOL on the term buttock clenching.   In one of my local league play a long, long time ago, I was lined up on a wall as my team was about to kick a free kick toward goal.   As the ball is being kicked, a defender clench my buttock and I jumped up prematurely, missing any chance at the play.   Buttock clenching indeed.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 2 weeks later...
Chelsea has already lost the premier league. We look dreadful. The only good news is that the last time we looked this bad in the league we won the Champions league.

Michael

Chelsea has already lost the premier league. We look dreadful. The only good news is that the last time we looked this bad in the league we won the Champions league.

Pretty daft to say Chelski have already lost the league although I hope you're right.

Half time at Swansea 0-0,United playing like a bunch of old women.

CAMON REDS!!

• 1 month later...

Haven't had much chance to watch CFC this year, but it sounds like a total mess. Obviously there is a long way to go, but 10 points adrift is a pretty big hole. In what I have been able to catch on the tube, the defense has been awful. I never claim to be an expert on the sport, but the marking seems as loose as anything I can remember watching. 

For me, Chelsea is a team that I watch while I wait for Wolves to claw their way back to the EPL (it could still happen). Beinsports shows one game from the Championship per week, so seeing my club on tv is a bit rare.

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!