IGNORED

Anyone ever make a color coded iron?

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

before I could call it a senior moment.

My friends grandfathers final senior moment for golf was the day he drove his Lincoln Town Car (or similar) to the first tee box. My father plays in a senior softball league and one guy forgot to put pants on.

Grabbing the wrong club stinks for sure.

I use the numbers to pull a club.

For confidence once I pull the club out:

- my 9i through LW wedge are have different color grips

- And I messed with my grips on the hybrids and woods too just because it was fun

LW - Blue

SW - Yellow

GW - Orange

PW - Black

9i - Red

8i-5i   White

4H - Red

2H - white

3w - White

Dr - Red

or something like that (the H's and woods might be flipped) - I like that my approach clubs are different

but gripping them to jumbo was fun as orange and yellow only came in regular size so I had to compensate them

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Confusing 6i with 9i is a common mistake, one I used to make a lot.

I'm not picking on you, but to you and others who have done this - ever - since about the first few months you played golf - HOW? How do you think to yourself "okay, I have 137 yards to the flag, I'm gonna hit a stock 9I here…" and then set down a club that's an inch and a half longer and about 10 degrees stronger lofted or so? It looks and feels so different? How do you not only set up to it, but look down, line up, and then even hit the shot?

One of those things that has never made sense to me.

Obviously… I understand that a 6 can look like a 9. But that's just the number… not the club.

How?  Either b/c I was absent minded, too many things were going on in my head, or too upset to notice I have a wrong club.   If I can mistake a flag pole for a club, confusing 6i with 9i isn't such an uncommon thing for me.    These days, I got into habit of checking the number at the bottom, like putting on a seat belt.  Putting the club in order also helped.   I don't make 6i vs 9i mistake anymore but occasionally pick up an adjacent club without checking the number at the bottom and hit.   Being a bogey golfer, sometimes it even works out. :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Good one ! I bet we've all jumped into the other two-some's cart at times. Or how about this: shot of the day is perfect but:cry: is aimed at the wrong flag!

Now THAT I have definitely done and on more than one occasion. Buddies are like, "wow, you pushed the crap outta that one!" And I'm totally confused, thinking wtf are you talking about?? That was balls on accurate. :doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My dad was caddying for me in a tournament a few years back and I had a shot that was between an 8 and a 9. I decided to go for a flighted 8 but he handed me the 9 and once I put the club down for the practice swing I could immediately tell it was the wrong club.

I'm seriously not trying to show off or pick on anyone (I think this happens more often than most would think). I understand pulling the wrong club out of the bag but it amazes me that people don't catch it when they set-up to the shot. I don't care how many things are in your head, the clubs just don't look or feel the same!

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@ mvmac How many rounds of golf do you play in a typical year? Someone playing 50 rounds a year might be able to easily to tell. The guy playing 15 half rounds (league) a year might have a different experience. Especially as those rounds may include a bunch of drinks.

I paint filled mine.  Just buy some really ugly colors of nail polish(or borrow your wife's) and fill in the area.  If you screw up, take a scotchbrite pad with nail polish remover and lightly brush off the over filled area.

Since the my Taylormade driver & woods have that blue paint scheme, I carried that over to the irons.  Through use, you'll have to touch them up but it does make them easier to read.

:tmade: SLDR 10.5 Driver, SLDR 3 Wood,3H & 5H,RBZ Iron's 4-PW

:vokey: 54°F-Grind 14°bounce &  58°K-grind 11° bounce
:scotty_cameron: Newport 2.5

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Confusing 6i with 9i is a common mistake, one I used to make a lot.

I'm not picking on you, but to you and others who have done this - ever - since about the first few months you played golf - HOW? How do you think to yourself "okay, I have 137 yards to the flag, I'm gonna hit a stock 9I here…" and then set down a club that's an inch and a half longer and about 10 degrees stronger lofted or so? It looks and feels so different? How do you not only set up to it, but look down, line up, and then even hit the shot?

One of those things that has never made sense to me.

Obviously… I understand that a 6 can look like a 9. But that's just the number… not the club.

My guess is that I get complacent, might be in a hurry to finish a round, or just had a brain fart at that point in time. I know that when I look in my bag, I sometimes see an upside down 9 when I might  need a 6. That's how it happens for me.  To me, it's the 10th bad shot in golf. Since I am not a seriously low handicapper, I am still vulnerable to dumb mistakes, because I just don't worry about my golf game that much when I am out there enjoying the game.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

@mvmac How many rounds of golf do you play in a typical year? Someone playing 50 rounds a year might be able to easily to tell. The guy playing 15 half rounds (league) a year might have a different experience. Especially as those rounds may include a bunch of drinks.

I play about 30-40 times a year now but 100+ rounds before 2006.

I get that the mistake can happen with a newbie golfer or someone who plays a few times a year. I was thinking more of someone who practices/plays regularly. Once played with a guy that did this, a golfer that plays a couple times a week, still don't understand it.

BTW this thread just lead to a very interesting conversations with my wife and son. We were doing blind club tests and even dark chocolate tests. My son's theory is that someone that hits the wrong club trusts the number on the club more than what they see at address. They laughed when I said that seeing a 6 iron (at address) when I expect to see a 9 iron would be a "shock to my system".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

My dad was caddying for me in a tournament a few years back and I had a shot that was between an 8 and a 9. I decided to go for a flighted 8 but he handed me the 9 and once I put the club down for the practice swing I could immediately tell it was the wrong club.

I'm seriously not trying to show off or pick on anyone (I think this happens more often than most would think). I understand pulling the wrong club out of the bag but it amazes me that people don't catch it when they set-up to the shot. I don't care how many things are in your head, the clubs just don't look or feel the same!

I think most will catch 6 & 9 difference.  One club distance?   I think most (especially, casual golfer) may not catch it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

I think most will catch 6 & 9 difference.  One club distance?   I think most (especially, casual golfer) may not catch it.

Agree.  I think that a one club error is very hard for most players to just see or feel.  I've had seasons where I played 70+ rounds and I still don't think I could always be certain if you just handed me a club and asked me to tell you if it's an 8I or 9I.  Add to that the fact that when I'm getting ready to make a shot, I've pulled the club and now I'm thinking about the shot - stance, grip, swing - not so much about which club it is because in my head I think I have the right one.

That said, I've pulled the 9I for a 6I before and known immediately as I set the club at address that it was the wrong one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

- And I messed with my grips on the hybrids and woods too just because it was fun

LW - Blue

SW - Yellow

GW - Orange

PW - Black

9i - Red

8i-5i   White

4H - Red

2H - white

3w - White

Dr - Red

or something like that (the H's and woods might be flipped) - I like that my approach clubs are different

but gripping them to jumbo was fun as orange and yellow only came in regular size so I had to compensate them

That's pretty cool but solves a different problem. I was talking just about finding the club quickly. I don't have a problem picking the wrong club.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

LW - Blue

SW - Yellow

GW - Orange

PW - Black

9i - Red

8i-5i   White

4H - Red

2H - white

3w - White

Dr - Red

I do something similar,

Wedges - orange grips

Irons - gray grips

Woods - black grips

Driver - white grip

Joe Paradiso

I'm not picking on you, but to you and others who have done this - ever - since about the first few months you played golf - HOW? How do you think to yourself "okay, I have 137 yards to the flag, I'm gonna hit a stock 9I here…" and then set down a club that's an inch and a half longer and about 10 degrees stronger lofted or so? It looks and feels so different? How do you not only set up to it, but look down, line up, and then even hit the shot? One of those things that has never made sense to me. Obviously… I understand that a 6 can look like a 9. But that's just the number… not the club.

Thank you. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading these posts. That maybe happened during like my first month of golf but I don't remember it ever happening.

How are people grabbing the wrong wedge? I can't understand not checking the letter.....this thread is like bizarro world.

That's b/c we are all individuals with different set of DNA.   I am more absent minded, clumsy than others.  Sometimes, I forget to check wedge number before swinging away.   It's not too bizarro if you know no human beings are alike, even identical twins. B-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

That's b/c we are all individuals with different set of DNA.   I am more absent minded, clumsy than others.  Sometimes, I forget to check wedge number before swinging away.   It's not too bizarro if you know no human beings are alike, even identical twins.  B-)

You are definitely right. I suck at a lot of things but I am really careful and have OCD so it is unimaginable for me to do that. It's like eating with a fork vs a steak knife to me. But there are things that would feel that way for you that I do.

How are people grabbing the wrong wedge? I can't understand not checking the letter.....this thread is like bizarro world.

Wait, you didn't read about the guy walking back to the cart with the flag in his hand?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!