IGNORED

The Definitive Pace of Play Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

83 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it typically take you to play 18 holes as a foursome?

• Under 3:00
    • 3:00 to 3:30
    • 3:30 to 4:00
    • 4:00 to 4:30
    • 4:30 to 5:00
    • Over 5:00

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Now my BS meter is pegged. ;-)

People should play like they have 3 hours a round and slow play will cease to exist. If they play to a 4 hour pace it will be slower than that, and not by a little.

The issue is the golfers who look at their watches or whatnot and decide that they are moving fast enough are severely guilty of slow play. I've met and played with my fair share of these folks who have no idea they are holding up groups behind. Meanwhile, I'm watching the party in front of us disappear for the last time on the 3rd hole or thereabouts. :-P

Slow play belongs to everyone who do not have the ability to go from tee to hole in a hair over 9 minutes as a 4 some on average or less.

Why should I play faster, to meet your personal expectations of how long my rounds should take, sorry not doing it.  I keep pace with the group in front of me, I finish most rounds in 3:45 - 4 hours and it's an enjoyable pace.  If there's room and someone is playing faster we let them play through but I'm not changing my game to suit yours, sorry.  

I see how you practice on your swing thread, golf is a social game, it's not about how fast you can hit golf balls down the course.  If you want to play 3 hour rounds get the first tee times or find a course that that only speedsters want to play.  If the course posts a pace of play of four hours and you want to play in three, you're the one that has the problem.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Why should I play faster, to meet your personal expectations of how long my rounds should take, sorry not doing it. 

And there you go.

Pace of play issues clearly explained....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And there you go.

No it's not, I play at a good pace, I have no time constraints so there's no reason for me to race to my ball, shorten the time I look for a ball, not purchase a beverage from the cart girl, rush to make a swing or to not properly read a putt because someone thinks we should play in 3 hours.  

If a course wants me to play in 3 hours then they should post that as their pace of play and I'll either conform or take my business elsewhere.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

59 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

OK on the carts IF you can get away with it. Not the way I like to play; if riding (which I only do on courses that are too rough to walk) I prefer a partner. I know of no course in this area that would ride 1 per cart unless teeing as a single or threesome (2 in one and 1 in the other).

The monthly (Players Club) you see there is an excellent deal, the best I can get here is Preferred Player at 5 plays for $100 (cart fees extra). Course is longish (couple of good jaunts from green to tee) but walkable even for seniors like me.

Buffalo Run Scorecard

What do you mean by IF? I just told you the normal thing is to get one cart per person. At this point your argument is getting really weak at best...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

53 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Why should I play faster, to meet your personal expectations of how long my rounds should take, sorry not doing it.  I keep pace with the group in front of me, I finish most rounds in 3:45 - 4 hours and it's an enjoyable pace.  If there's room and someone is playing faster we let them play through but I'm not changing my game to suit yours, sorry.  

I see how you practice on your swing thread, golf is a social game, it's not about how fast you can hit golf balls down the course.  If you want to play 3 hour rounds get the first tee times or find a course that that only speedsters want to play.  If the course posts a pace of play of four hours and you want to play in three, you're the one that has the problem.  

No argument from me on this one. That's not slow play. It's only when there's a gap in front of you.

40 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

No it's not, I play at a good pace, I have no time constraints so there's no reason for me to race to my ball, shorten the time I look for a ball, not purchase a beverage from the cart girl, rush to make a swing or to not properly read a putt because someone thinks we should play in 3 hours.  

If a course wants me to play in 3 hours then they should post that as their pace of play and I'll either conform or take my business elsewhere.  

Sure, if you need to sacrifice your game to play fast enough, don't. There are a multitude of options for slow players other than playing a regulation course, but it doesn't sound like you play slow. You're just arguing in favor of slower play for some odd reason?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

51 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And there you go.

Why didn't you quote his second sentence where he said he keeps pace and finishes most rounds in under 4 hours?

He's going 60 on a one lane road with a speed limit of 50 and you're blaming him because you want to go 70.  Does not compute.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CR McDivot said:

OK on the carts IF you can get away with it. Not the way I like to play; if riding (which I only do on courses that are too rough to walk) I prefer a partner. I know of no course in this area that would ride 1 per cart unless teeing as a single or threesome (2 in one and 1 in the other).

The monthly (Players Club) you see there is an excellent deal, the best I can get here is Preferred Player at 5 plays for $100 (cart fees extra). Course is longish (couple of good jaunts from green to tee) but walkable even for seniors like me.

Buffalo Run Scorecard

So, Buffalo Run is where you get to kick back and lollygag around the course?  Good to know.  I don't like the course much anyway, so I guess if that's how it's run these days, I'll just play elsewhere.  Good thing that Colorado has plenty of choices.

I played in a tournament the last 2 days, yesterday near the back of the field of 140 golfers and played in 4:23.  Today we were second group out and played in 4:01.  That includes playing 100% by the Rules of Golf, playing in foursomes, and each group I was in had 1 walker and 3 riders.  Yesterday we were paced by the group in front (we were right on their heels all the way), today we were paced by the one walker in our group.  We'd have played at least 10-15 minutes faster if he had been willing to ride with me.  The group in front of us, which was the first group out, with all 4 players riding finished about one hole ahead of us.  Having just one walker with us definitely held us back a bit, even though he walked at a good pace. 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Why didn't you quote his second sentence where he said he keeps pace and finishes most rounds in under 4 hours?

He's going 60 on a one lane road with a speed limit of 50 and you're blaming him because you want to go 70.  Does not compute.

I think he meant to quote the keeping up part...which negates any argument for slow play. Unless, pace of play is 6 hours, in which case you'll see me playing Angey Birds at every tee box. :-D

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

Wow! 

This many posts devoted to arguing back and forth about how fast to play?

Oh yeah! That's one of the reasons for the decline of golf!

Just being dramatic here. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I joined a husband-wife pair for a 7:18 AM tee-off time on Friday. We got around in 3:50, with a 10-minute break at the turn. This included us guys having to search for a ball every couple of holes. (His wife hit it 150 yards down the middle all day). 

We were out in front of everyone, and didn't have to wait. Most of all - no lost momentum from having to wait.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Oh yeah! That's one of the reasons for the decline of golf!

Just being dramatic here. :-D

Actually if so that would help with a kind of equilibrium. As people left the sport due to pace of play the game would speedup. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

Actually if so that would help with a kind of equilibrium. As people left the sport due to pace of play the game would speedup. 

Logically, only the slow players would be left as the impatient ones would leave first. But people aren't necessarily logical. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It's the attitude.  That he (and so many others) play at the pace they deem to be fast enough, whatever that pace may be, without any concern for what others may think.  

In David's bag....

Just now, Lihu said:

Logically, only the slow players would be left as the impatient ones would leave first. But people aren't logical. :-D

I think the decline was going on pre-Tiger. He came along and stopped it. Now we are back to the decline.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Agree 100%.  Too many courses are complicit in slow play because they're unwilling to address the issue.

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's the attitude.  That he (and so many others) play at the pace they deem to be fast enough, whatever that pace may be, without any concern for what others may think.  

I don't know what the heck you expect from the guy.  He said he:

1. Keeps pace.

2. Plays in under 4 hours usually.

3. Let's faster groups through when there is room.

You are really picking on the wrong guy here.  He clearly is NOT a part of the problem.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Golfingdad said:

I don't know what the heck you expect from the guy.  He said he:

1. Keeps pace.

2. Plays in under 4 hours usually.

3. Let's faster groups through when there is room.

You are really picking on the wrong guy here.  He clearly is NOT a part of the problem.  

I'm "picking on" on the attitude, that says "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks".  

And I'm sorry, but I also dispute the belief that 4 hours is somehow fast, or universally acceptable.  I do applaud items 1 and 3 though!

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I'm "picking on" on the attitude, that says "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks".  

And I'm sorry, but I also dispute the belief that 4 hours is somehow fast, or universally acceptable.  I do applaud items 1 and 3 though!

If you dispute that 4 hours for a foursome is universally acceptable then you're pretty much disputing facts.

Is there a (full length) course on earth that deems 4 hours for 18 holes to be unacceptable?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!