IGNORED

Share a Fact from Your Job

iacas
Note: This thread is 2895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 out 3 working Canadians do not have a pension.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 out 3 working Canadians do not have a pension.

Pension or personal retirement? I would not be surprised if that number was higher in the states.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Pension or personal retirement? I would not be surprised if that number was higher in the states.

It most certainly is. You have (unfortunately) "right to work legislation" in many states which will certainly bring the "no pension" numbers up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/84158/share-a-fact-from-your-job/0_100#post_1195690"] Pension or personal retirement? I would not be surprised if that number was higher in the states.

It most certainly is. You have (unfortunately) "right to work legislation" in many states which will certainly bring the "no pension" numbers up.[/quote] I have mixed feelings about pensions. I don't really care what private sector unions do (plumbers, fitters, etc.), because it does not really affect me. I don't agree with using taxpayer money to give public sector union employees better pensions than I get. I have to put away my own money for retirement. I do not want to support someone else's.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

FedEx? I think UPS is almost as big?

FedEx would be the correct answer.  The military probably operates more planes, but it doesn't have 'airline' status.  FedEx owns and operates the largest fleet of non-passenger planes in the airline industry.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

FedEx? I think UPS is almost as big?

FedEx would be the correct answer.  The military probably operates more planes, but it doesn't have 'airline' status.  FedEx owns and operates the largest fleet of non-passenger planes in the airline industry.

dave

Cool, I watch those FedEx golf commercials, and picture you with a bag slung over your shoulder as you wait for the administrator to get off the phone with the big boss. . . :-)

Nice company, we couldn't live without it. . . :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Kinda related to my work,

In Ohio a "Crosswalk" is defined by the right of way not the painted lines on the roadway. Meaning at any intersection a crosswalk is defined by the face of the curb to the right of way extending across the street.

Also it is not illegal to jaywalk in Ohio as long as you are not doing so between two adjacent signalized intersections.

Another interesting bit of information. If a car is yielding to a pedestrian. All cars behind that vehicle and in other lanes must also Yield as well. Let's say you are behind a bus on a two lane road that has let a person start to cross, lets say at a midblock crosswalk. It's illegal to try to pass the bus an not yield to the pedestrian.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Metamerism is the phenomenom where two colors appear exactly the same under one light source, but very different under another....

Who am I fooling, my job is only interesting to me.

Originally Posted by jsgolfer

The closer you are to a water storage tank, the less pressure you will have at your house typically.

Minimum pressure required at your house is 20 psi. Not a lot by he way.

If you have more than 80 psi going into your house, it will more than likely blow apart your plumbing in your house.

Now this is of interest as I live right across the street from the village water tower. Kind of counter-intuitive.

Jon

• 4 months later...

I always liked reading this thread, so I'm going to give it a subtle little bump...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've never thought anything about my job would be interesting to outsiders, but here's one thing I've found interesting:

I'm a civil engineer working at a small company in southern California that specializes in grading & drainage plans for custom homes and small commercial projects.  When I started, the main goal was pretty simple:  get all of the storm water off the property and into the storm drain system.  Several years later, we've come to a point where water quality is the priority (keeping pollution out of the streams, rivers and oceans) and my job is almost exactly the opposite from what it used to be.  Now it's effectively:  keep as much of the storm water ON the property as feasible.  That thought amuses me.

I never cease to be amazed at how overdone every aspect of federal work is. Feds literally and truly believe that weighing a report or determining the word count is the best way of determining its quality. The more steps there are in a process, the better it is. The more procedures and policies an agency has, the higher its achievements.

Your tax dollars at work...

dak4n6

2 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

I never cease to be amazed at how overdone every aspect of federal work is. Feds literally and truly believe that weighing a report or determining the word count is the best way of determining its quality. The more steps there are in a process, the better it is. The more procedures and policies an agency has, the higher its achievements.

Your tax dollars at work...

Sadly, that way of thinking exists in the private sector as well. My company is undergoing a "Lean Manufacturing" transformation. Part of the process is to implement a high quota of ideas with almost no mechanism in place to measure the quality of the results.

Jon

On 9/15/2015 at 2:01 PM, JonMA1 said:

Metamerism is the phenomenom where two colors appear exactly the same under one light source, but very different under another....

Who am I fooling, my job is only interesting to me.

I thought it was interesting, but I can't figure out what you do for a living. 

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

my job is almost exactly the opposite from what it used to be.  Now it's effectively:  keep as much of the storm water ON the property as feasible.  That thought amuses me.

I think that's interesting too.   How similar are the techniques?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Something surprising from my "job" is just how far off base the stereotypes of engineering students are. I'm in the honors engineering dorm, meaning you might expect people to be off in their own rooms doing their own thing, but there are currently 7 others in my room hanging out and having conversations. Engineers are social, even if it is only restricted to other engineers.

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Something surprising from my "job" is just how far off base the stereotypes of engineering students are. I'm in the honors engineering dorm, meaning you might expect people to be off in their own rooms doing their own thing, but there are currently 7 others in my room hanging out and having conversations. Engineers are social, even if it is only restricted to other engineers.

I went to an engineering college. I agree wholeheartedly that the stereotype is not appropriate. We had our nerds for sure, but we had every other personality type you would expect from a collective of 18 - 22 year olds.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm retired but over the years I have had many jobs in various fields of work and this one thing is sure, no matter where you work there will be at least one idiot. Make sure it's not you.

Note: This thread is 2895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!