IGNORED

Do You Golf Alone?

RussianCarl
Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do You Golf Alone?

• Yes
    • No

I work at a private course one of the perks is free golf and I love to sneek out a few times a week and play 4,6 maybe 9 holes. Its very relaxing and you can get in some good practice. Throw in a good cigar and you feel like one of the big dogs!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in a remote area with a private club. Easy to go out alone. My golf buddy works in the city, so I go out once or twice a week alone. I like the chance to focus on the course and try things I wouldn't do when competing with friends.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher, Aldila DVS 55-R Shaft, cutoff to 42" 4 Wood - TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast Hybrid - TaylorMade R11 Rescue, 18.5* Irons - 4-P TaylorMade R7 Wedges - Cleveland Forged 588's 50*, 54*, 60* Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Ball - Bridgestone E6 :-P

His shadow.  But the golf course wins the remaining 10%.

Originally Posted by Motley01

LOL. Now who wins the other 21% of the time? The golf course?

• Upvote 3

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I had never played alone until this year when I joined a private course. Now I love to go out in the evening alone. The course is always WIDE open and quiet. I can usually walk the front 9 in 90 minutes. I am starting to look forward to that as much as playing with buddies.

[INDENT][/INDENT][quote name="Yukari" url="/t/58199/how-normal-is-it-to-play-golf-by-yourself/18#post_714468"]His shadow.  But the golf course wins the remaining 10%.  :-P [/quote] Haha!

Originally Posted by zeg

I'd say it's normal to go out as a single. If it's a busy course or a busy time, you will probably not actually find that you're playing by yourself because you'll be paired or grouped up. Otherwise, you have a pretty good chance of playing alone. I have heard of some courses that don't like to send anyone out as a single, space or not. Hopefully the courses you play aren't this obnoxiously managed.

I play alone most of the time. I always play to win.

I do enjoy playing as a single, but it is also a nice experience (sometimes lol) when you are paired with someone. Since I am a member at a semi private course, I usually don't get paired but a lot of times I end up joining with a few other people as the round goes on

To the OP, since you are in high school, I understand your peer pressure to "fit in and be normal".  A word to the wise, "normal" is only relative.  Ones who succeed in life are typically "not normal".  Look at Einstein, Edison, Franklin, etc.  They were not what one would call "normal".

Be yourself.  If you want to go out and practice/play golf by yourself, go ahead!  Don't try to be molded into what others sees you as "normal".  Be your own man!

Personally, I have always tried to live the life as I see fit, not what others sees me fit.  This is true for golf as well as life in general.

I know you probably didn't expect any advice on life, but your post begs the question as to what you are striving for.  You seem to be trying to fit into what others expect you to do.  DON'T!!!  You will never be happy trying to please others.

Sorry for the rant.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I try to sneak out to the course after work a couple times a week, and as a member of a semi-private club, there's typically no others starting their round at 6PM, so I play alone quite often.  I find that it allows me to relax and enjoy the course and the golf more than playing in a group.  You notice things and see things that you typically won't when other people are around providing normal distractions.  It also gives you time to practice on the course if noone is behind you.  In this situation, would I be better off hitting a low roller to the green, or lofting it in the air?  Let me try 2 of each and see what comes out better for me.  It'll make you better on the course, assuming you play the same course every time.  It's always an advantage to know the lies and playing yardages instead of posted yardage.  An example would be a certain green on my course.  It's an uphill shot to the green, so the tendency is to go up one club.  Unfortunately, it's more of a 2 club difference and what I would typically hit a 54* wedge from that distance, I know that I must hit my PW in order to reach a middle pin.  It's those little course management tricks that you learn out there playing on your own and experimenting.

I play 9 holes by myself about 3 times a week. I get to the course about 5-6 pm and play until dark or stop at nine. I appreciate and enjoy playing by myself but prefer friends to play with. I seem to get more pissed about poor play when I am playing alone. I am not sure why.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I typically play as a single. I get 1 day off of work a week, and its either a Wednesday or Thursday. Being in the middle of the week, my friends/brother are usually working, so I rarely get someone I know to come out with me. I've gotten used to it, and honestly prefer it, as I tend to play better without people watching me. I can usually play at a slower, more relaxed pace (as the courses are usually slow around that time).

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by Laws of Woo

I typically play as a single. I get 1 day off of work a week, and its either a Wednesday or Thursday. Being in the middle of the week, my friends/brother are usually working, so I rarely get someone I know to come out with me. I've gotten used to it, and honestly prefer it, as I tend to play better without people watching me. I can usually play at a slower, more relaxed pace (as the courses are usually slow around that time).

Lots of truth to that^^^. When playing alone I focus more on what I'm doing. When playing with friends, I still try to play well but it's more of a social occasion and an opportunity to hang with my buddies and rip on each other.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I actually prefer to go out there alone than with friends in most cases.  Friends require that I find a time that works for them, they usually want to ride, chat, and drink a lot of beer.  I want to walk and think about my shots.

I would say i play with friends once or twice a month, and go out alone three or four times a month.

And by alone I mean that I don't make plans with anyone else--I usually end up playing with strangers.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I've only done it twice.  On vacation in Hawaii a few years ago I played at the Waikoloa Resort and got to play by myself (Beach course one day, Kings course the other day).  My wife was with me but not playing so I guess I wasn't technically alone.  The courses were empty enough that there was no need to group strangers together.  It was very enjoyable.

I live/play in southern California and I don't belong to any private club so I never expect to play by myself around here (and never have).  The only time I could ever see it as even being a possibility on a public course around here is if you go out to start a round 90 minutes or less before dark.  I can't imagine you have a lot of people lined up to play then.

One of the virtues of a country club I guess.

I've played 70+ rounds this year (since March 13) and all but a few have been by myself. I play better alone, focus more on my game than socializing.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

I mostly play alone - it is easier to "practice" that way........but I have a Mon-Fri membership so in the summer when I am off from work (teach @ a University) - most of my buddies still work, and I play in the morngs to avoid leagues/busy times AND to keep the wife off my back from being "gone all day" - haha :)  Or during the year, I get the occasional afternoon off at work so I can get to the course by 2pm and be done and home by 530pm and she will never know :)

But I don't mind playing alone - since my dad passed away several years ago it does give me time to "think" about things, life............cheap therapy I guess!  But I do enjoy playing with my friends as well!

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

I play a lot of rounds solo.  I love the solitude that it brings.  I can be alone with my thoughts and somewhat decompress.  Many have suggested that they use the time to practice.  I don't do that on the course, but just enjoy the exercise, both physical and mental.  In fact, I'll be doing that this afternoon after I get off work.

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!