IGNORED

Solheim Cup Controversy: Who is more at fault?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Solheim Cup Controversy: Who is more at fault?

• Alison Lee
    • Suzann Pettersen
    • Charley Hull
    • Carin Koch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Look at post 167, 23 seconds in. That's a lot of movement.

Is that what you do when an opponent has another putt?

And I like Petterson... everyone makes a mistake.

So what you are saying is that her apology was fake or she was pressured to lie about an apology?

Kind of weird...

I feel the same and I've already said it in the thread, I think was encouraged to apologise.

Perhaps she was encouraged but I doubt it. That was the most sincere, heart-felt public apology I've ever seen. When Dame Laura is ripping you to shreds, you realize purty quick you fkd up bad. But as I said earlier, since the apology was so sincere, I've put it past me and believe most in ladies golf have as well.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps she was encouraged but I doubt it. That was the most sincere, heart-felt public apology I've ever seen. When Dame Laura is ripping you to shreds, you realize purty quick you fkd up bad. But as I said earlier, since the apology was so sincere, I've put it past me and believe most in ladies golf have as well.

Agree 100%. Sometimes we can be way too cynical and sometimes it's warranted - but I don't think it is here.

They are clearly not walking off the green. They are walking onto the green.

And yes, if I'm in a match play and want to discuss whether to conceed the putt or not, I would move from where I was standing, to where my playing partner is standing.

I don't have any opinion about her apology, other than that it was a good move. Nobody knows how she personally feels. Many have made statements and apologized for something just to save face before.

Let's beat a dead horse. :-$

They were walking on the fringes and around the outer edges of the green - a lot of movement - and by 0:33, the Euros in blue and white are off the green.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Let's beat a dead horse.

They were walking on the fringes and around the outer edges of the green - a lot of movement - and by 0:33, the Euros in blue and white are off the green.

I'm not so sure.  I'm thinking it was more like a mosey or a sashay.  I would even lean a little more towards a saunter or a traipse than simple walking.

The ref called "hole halved with 4" as Lee picked up the ball. He then stayed there was "no evidence the putt was conceded." Well, then why did he call halved? There was obvious confusion so the ball should've been placed back and putted. SP made an unsportsmanlike move period. All this nonsense about Lee not confirming is just that. It's happened a million times that a putt that short is conceded especially when the opponents are far away and walking away. A good sport would've said either....place the ball back and putt it or...oh...sorry that's good. Done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'll come in very late to this party and agree with both sides here. Lee was wrong , you don't pick up your ball unless you're certain.  If you're not dead certain you heard the concession, you politely ask "Did you say this is good?" or you go ahead and putt it out anyway.  She can definitely putt it, even after its conceded, as long as play on the hole is complete. SP was wrong in strictly enforcing the rule at the time it happened.  She knew the rule, she knew neither she nor her partner had conceded the putt, and she made that known, but a veteran player could have, and should have, acted differently.  I don't have any problem with the Europeans walking towards the edge of the green, I've done that a lot of times myself, simply in the interest of keeping play moving.  SP's apology seems to be as heartfelt and honest as it could be.  She didn't give one of those half-assed statements like  "if I accidentally offended anyone" or indicate that it was a misunderstanding or anything of the type.  She said "I was wrong, I let myself and my team down, and I apologize."  Hopefully, there are lessons learned on both sides, and for all of us who took an interest in the competition.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

SP couldn't have known her partner conceded the putt or not. She was clear on the other side of the very large green. I didn't hear anything about SP and CH saying no matter what all putts get putted?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I didn't hear anything about SP and CH saying no matter what all putts get putted?

The rules say that all putts get putted, unless a stroke is conceded.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

The rules say that all putts get putted, unless a stroke is conceded.

Yes I know that. I meant if SP/CH had an agreement before the hole that no putt will be conceded.

AAhhh, I understand what you meant now.  Even so, there's enough fault to go around, and in my eyes SP's apology was one of the most complete I've ever heard.

Dave

Note: This thread is 3132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!