IGNORED

NHL 2015-16 Season

pumaAttack
Note: This thread is 2819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Only way to go from there is down.

Hopefully not against the Laughs. That would suck. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At least you have those fabulous orange tops to focus your eyes on.

Oddly enough, the in laws bought me one for my birthday.  

Corey

Oh yeah, it's a toss up between Klink and McDavid.  

The Oilers were robbed of a point by the refs last night.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it'll matter that much.  

Corey

I think I'm beyond the point of things such as expensive hockey sweaters, but if I could get one free it would be a red #15 Langdon. 

Not only did Darren play for the Habs for a few years, he also spent a year with my old hometown Dayton Bombers in the ECHL in the early 90s. He had something like 20 goals and 400 PIM that year if I remember correctly. NYR snatched him up after that.

Thought I'd weigh in on this thread to share my tremendous luck. . . I bought a 1/2 season ticket package for the Sharks this year.  As I live almost 2 hours (with no traffic) from the Tank, I'm limited to weekend games and will sell the weekday games (lucky to have Chicago, Rangers, and Penguins games to sell).  In any event, I couldn't go to the first home game I had tix for -- Anaheim -- but got to Saturday's game against Carolina.  Thrilled to see Ward get his hat-trick!  Even more thrilled to learn that I my seats are in the wives and girlfriends section!  Even my wife was commenting on how hot these gals are. . .

In any event, we are the top row of the lower bowl (so can stand and lean without offending anyone behind us), corner seats (less board blockage), across from the benches (so can see substitutions clearly). 

I'm cautiously optimistic about my Sharkies.  Martin Jones is an upgrade from Niemi, and the youngsters are stepping up.  With the youngsters stepping up, maybe less pressure and more rest for Thornton and Marleau.  Hope that Couture comes back strong. 

The Canadiens are killing it though and I think I have to instantly dislike anyone who cannot like Subban. 

Edited by tdiii

I'm cautiously optimistic about my Sharkies.

Best of luck with PDB.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Best of luck with PDB.

I'm in the honeymoon period thus far.  I didn't think McLellan should have been fired -- and definitely should not have been in the absence of a clear succession plan -- but so far I've got no complaints!

Edited by tdiii

I'm in the honeymoon period thus far.  I didn't think McLellan should have been fired -- and definitely should not have been in the absence of a clear succession plan -- but so far I've got no complaints!

Your loss is my gain.  I've liked what McLellan has brought to the Oilers so far.  Sure, their record doesn't show it, but the team as a whole has been much better than seasons past.  This year they've STB twice, last year at this time they were still clueless.  

Corey

Your loss is my gain.  I've liked what McLellan has brought to the Oilers so far.  Sure, their record doesn't show it, but the team as a whole has been much better than seasons past.  This year they've STB twice, last year at this time they were still clueless.  

Doesn't hurt to pick up McDavid. 

Here's my take on PDB:

Overall, he's a good coach. His system both offensively and defensively requires a lot of movement and skill to execute, but it works well if executed properly.

He shows favoritism towards certain players who never seem to get punished for doing anything wrong, where other players will sit out shifts or entire games for minor mistakes.

He doesn't believe in analytics and he likes facepunchers. I don't have anything against playing enforcers, but nowadays even your enforcers need to know how to play hockey, but he doesn't care as long as they're good at sitting in the penalty box.

He doesn't believe in analytics. That needed to be stated twice. I love Martin Brodeur,  but in his last season as a Devil when Cory Schneider was also on the team, he didn't have a 1A and 1B. He had a clear #1 goaltender and a clear backup.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Here's my take on PDB:

Overall, he's a good coach. His system both offensively and defensively requires a lot of movement and skill to execute, but it works well if executed properly.

He shows favoritism towards certain players who never seem to get punished for doing anything wrong, where other players will sit out shifts or entire games for minor mistakes.

He doesn't believe in analytics and he likes facepunchers. I don't have anything against playing enforcers, but nowadays even your enforcers need to know how to play hockey, but he doesn't care as long as they're good at sitting in the penalty box.

He doesn't believe in analytics. That needed to be stated twice. I love Martin Brodeur,  but in his last season as a Devil when Cory Schneider was also on the team, he didn't have a 1A and 1B. He had a clear #1 goaltender and a clear backup.

The lack of belief in analytics is surprising as I think the Sharks are pretty analytics-driven (huge hiring pool in the area) -- hopefully that was discussed at some length in the interview process and he will be more open to it. 

I am strongly against enforcers -- near as I can tell one cannot sacrifice actual skating talent in today's game, and there is no evidence whatsoever for the notion that enforcers reduce violence in the game.  At the same time, I'd love to have time-traveled Tie Domi to play in the first Kings game this year to beat all hell out of Dustin Brown and Milan Lucic.  But, that's just me being bloodthirsty. 

In reality, I hate the post action scrums, the revenge, the cheapshotting, the headhunting, etc. in hockey.  I was stunned that the NHL actually affirmatively ruled that Zac Rinaldo did not interfere on the Coutourier hit -- the puck was 10' away when Rinaldo hit him.

Similarly, Lucic gets legally hit by Couture, gets up, skates across the entire ice after Couture, and attacks him from behind.  Imagine in any other sport a player chasing another across the entire field of play and attacking from behind.  NFL?  I'm thinking 8 games minimum, probably an entire season.  NBA?  30 games.  It is just incomprehensible that this stuff is okay.  Lucic gets a game misconduct in the last minute of the game so at least should be suspended the next game, right?  No, game misconduct is rescinded so he can play the next game. 

This kind of stuff is just stunning to me, having never played the sport and being a fairly new fan (maybe 6 years or so).  It is now, by far, my favorite sport to watch in person or on TV and I don't even really follow any other sport besides golf. 

And when you watch hockey which is free of all the distractions -- Stanley Cup games, Olympic hockey, etc. it is just phenomenal to watch. 

I get that it is a "culture" but it takes away from the game and leads to incidents where guys get criminally injured.  It is not a more emotional or physical game than the NFL where this stuff is not tolerated at all.  It is time to play the game and stop with the shenanigans.

Rant over. 

On 10/30/2015, 12:36:09, Warren Zevon said:

Dear lord what a horrible first period for the Oilers.  

In McDavid I trust. 

What! No celebratory follow-up? Must of turned that sucker off.

Didn't see anything this busy weekend, but I read the Canadiens got back on track against the Jets last night. 

Oh, I watched it all.  I've had a three goal rule in place for the last seven years or so.  This year I've abandoned it.  It  was a decent comeback, but I thought it reflected more on Montreal playing poorly as opposed to Edmonton being great.  

And now, McDavid is out for probably at least two months.  I guess it's somewhat better that it's his collarbone and not his shoulder.  The Oilers are jinxed when it comes to the Calder trophy   

Corey

• Administrator

Phil Kessel threw a wrist shot at the net. It hit the crossbar so hard and so squarely it rebounded all the way back into the Pens' bench.

Never seen that before.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Chris Pronger is now in the NHL HoF, as well as employed by the NHL, and his contract is still valid and came off Philly's books via trade this past offseason. What happened to the spirit of the CBA that the NHL was so concerned about with the Kovalchuk contract?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!