IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

My bro and I played The Crossings yesterday and I tried the black tees (6590 yds, par 71, 71.1/131). We started on the back, and I shot a very poor 99 (51-48). I was actually pretty good off the tee (10/14 FIR), and I hit some long drives too, but once I got to where I had an iron in my hand I went to pieces.

Probably shouldn’t have played the tips. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well! Played another one of those rounds today, where my long game is totally off, while my shortgame is top notch. I played an away course (par 72, 6350 yards, rating 72,7 and 141 slope) and shot a solid 83. 

The front 9 was good, except from the 3 lost balls (2 on Hole 7 and 1 on Hole 4). Should have hit more fairways (1/7) and greens (2/9), but 6 pars and 14 putts on the front 9 isn’t bad. 43 shots. 

The back 9 was special. I didn’t hit a single fairway and just 1 green, and still managed to shoot 40. 10 putts!

My lobwedge and putter were on fire and I made some spectacular saves. I missed only one putt inside 14 feet and that was of course my only short birdie putt (6 feet). This could easily have been a 92 round instead of 83. I need to spend some time on the range…..

AC2A1955-3C33-4467-8CFA-0255C7151275.thumb.jpeg.1aac82e2dbb8bd6dc14c662535c0fea6.jpegB5D37D68-A867-4EDB-9EF6-4A88D283770C.thumb.jpeg.00882176b91c01f8754942ef2cf89b5c.jpeg

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

87 at the Pete Dye Dunes course at PGA West.  Great course, I will certainly return there!  Hit 9 GIR.  Course is in great conditions, even the greens, despite obviously having been recently sanded.  I made a point of complimenting the grounds crew before leaving. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played 9 hole best ball with the church men’s group.  We played a number of my shots, so I was happy with the swing today.  We should have made birdie on the all the par holes and parred the bogie holes.  I know a solid best ball round should always be under par, but given these guys only play a couple times a month, 4 over thru 9 was pretty good.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Not played for 3 weeks and back at my home course, decided to play in the middle of the monsoon since the weather has been dry for two or three days and yesterday was really hot and sunny.

Sure enough it rained late last night to early this morning and when I went to the course it was overcast and a bit of drizzle.

Front 9 started well, par, par, birdie, par, par and then 4 bogeys in a row.  Dad decided at that point the rain was too much for him to play and so he wound up going home.  Ran into a friend who was playing alone and had just finished the back 9 as we were done with breakfast after the front 9.  Played the front 9 again.  Bogey, par, par double bogey, birdie, bogey, bogey, par, par.

Happy with the round and especially the two birdies.  The first birdie on three was a great second shot and the ball was about two feet from the hole.  The second birdie on five was a decent second shot with the ball about pin high but maybe 10 feet right and the putt just tracked all the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Shot a 9-Hole round that could/should have been better.  Scored 52 but that was with at least 5 wasted shots.  I took both a Stroke & Distance and a drop from hazard on a single par 5 hole (3 wasted)  Also had two other really bad tee shots neither of which got past the yellow tees (2 wasted).  Driving was horrible with 0 fairways.  I had 2 drives that were in the rough close to the fairway but the other 5 drives were just horrible.  Bad drives made approach shots difficult if not impossible and I got only 1 GIR and 1 nGIR.  This round exemplifies that the saying "Drive for Show-Putt for Dough" is just plain wrong.  I had 15 putts and 0.42 SG Putting which I feel is pretty good but still scored for crap. I had no three-putts but did have three 10 footers all of which I 2-putted.  Statistically I think I should have sunk at least one of those 10 footers but it was not to be.  I did 2-Putt from 50 feet for a bogey which was a relief after one of the really bad tee shots.  One highlight was on a Par 3 where I won Closest To Pin for the league so beers were on me (Nobody ever seems to take the money they win home with them). 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Game of golf humbled me on Wed. Drove an hour and a half to meet buddy from college at his course. Tee off 1pm in 90 degree weather and by hole 13 we were just trying to stay alive. Drank 2 32 ounce powerades during the round and one on the way and didn’t have to urinate once during play. That explains the level of dehydration I was at. Thought I was going to fall over at one point on the back. Went home and went right to bed at 6:30. Wasn’t a pretty day. First hole set the tone. Too aggressive with the line for my layup and caught a tree. Left me a terrible lie for my 3rd which I left short of bunker in high rough that I blasted over the green led to double. Par 3 2nd missed the green and chip on them 3 putt for a double double start. Par at 3 but then a triple at 4 leaves me 7 over through 4. Settled in and played 5-10 at 2 over. A missed short par in there that should have fell but after the start wasn’t a bad run. Unfortunately from 11-18 I may as well have given up. There was a quad in there. Seems like every tee ball in the stretch found a way to end up behind a tree that blocked my approach. Couldn’t get a putt to fall. Ended up at 36 putts for the round. Worst putting stats in weeks. Ended up only hitting 5 GIR all day. 93 for me. One of the highest scores I’ve had in over two years. Play enough it happens I guess. First time seeing a course it can happen to anyone. I’ll bounce back. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Played another 18 holes today and this time dad played all 18 with me.  Not as good as yesterday 😊 but still happy since I played both 9's and two days of exercise.

Double, par x 3, double, bogey x 4, par x 3, double, bogey x 2, par x 2, bogey

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

9 hole league. My round was marked by poor driving and some penalty strokes offset by and great iron play and putting. Made two putts over 30' to save par after hitting big draws or fades to hit the green at all from off the fairway. Won a closest to the pin on a 156 yard par 3,  hit it to 3' 4" and made the putt. A few holes my bad driving put me in a position where a bogey was a good recovery.  Shot a 43.

Edited by Esox

I played a solid round yesterday from the blues at Umstead. I was even through 4, which included a chip in for birdie, but then I finished the front triple-par-bogey-par-double and turned in 43.

I nearly holed out for eagle on the par-5 tenth and had a tap in birdie, then I coasted until 16 and finished par-triple-bogey for a 45 on the back and an 88 total. 

Another good day off the tee: 11/14 fairways, and two of my misses were by less than a yard. Just a really solid round overall!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Poor approach shots and even poorer chips/pitches resulted in a disappointing 83.  Scoring wasn't helped any by hitting a shot OB on a par 5 and taking another double later in the round.  Golf is humbling.

Another "consistent for me" round today with 42 on the front, 44 on the back for an 86 on a the par 71 course at RiverBend (69.1/122 from the whites at just over 6,100).  Only three doubles today, all on the back side.  Six pars and the balance bogies.  Was 7 of 14 in the fairway off the tee, with 3 GIR and 5 nGIR.  Best shot of the day was on #3 where my 2nd shot called for a 5i, struck it pure only to see it land on the green and shoot about 1yd off the back.  The chipping work in the yard with the 8i paid off several times today as 3 of the 5 nGIR called for a little chip shot to make the rest of the journey.  Each finished to 6' or less from the hole.  Had some dances with the big pines that called for a punch outs - those happened on the double bogie holes.  Takeaways from the day - need to work on the irons more as I am either puring them or being toey.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

70 or so today. I didn't putt everything out, but the putts I scooped up were gimmes, and not the "five foot" variety, but actual gimmes. And not "Erik gimmes" as determined by the Wisconsin crew (eight footers and in), either. 😄

I hit two off the first tee, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Shot 83 today, 44/39.  Plus 10 on the front, plus 2 on the back.  Driver and putter were on today. 
The front 9 took me a few holes to get dialed in.  But once I got through the first 5 holes things settled down.  

Solid 90 today with one triple, two doubles, three pars and the rest bogies at RiverBend, with my son in tow.  He shot a wonderful 40 on the front 9, while I scrambled for 44.  The back 9 was slightly different as I struggled for make 46 while he cruised with a 44.  I managed to hit 7 of 14 fairways, 3 GIR's and 4nGIR.  Putting was okay with 34 total putts - this course's greens are in rough (and I mean rough shape).  They are not for the timid as you have to be confident of your stroke.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

86 from the back tees at my home course (only 6300 yard). The highlight was an uphill (can't see the surface but can see the pin) shot from 115 yards out, into the wind, pin in the back. Hit my 7 iron (normally my 130-135 club), and hit it well. I mention that it was my best iron shot of my day. Get up to the green and no ball, so I pull my putter and 52 degree out of my bag, but when I get halfway across the green I decide I should check the hole first. Turns out it was the best shot of my life, because sure enough it was in the hole. It was a birdie, not eagle, because I duffed my drive, but man I'm on cloud nine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls