IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

• Administrator

No idea, but I got another 14 holes in outside (we skipped holes 13-16 because one slow group was holding everyone up).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

No idea, but I got another 14 holes in outside (we skipped holes 13-16 because one slow group was holding everyone up).

Ditto. Played 1-12, went to 1 and played 1-4 again and walked in. We had the course “gangsome” in front of us. 5-6 foursomes of fairly good but incredibly slow players.

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...

First round of 2024 today with an 82*.  A nice balmy 32 degrees (f) with a 17-20 mph breeze. None of the greens were frozen and the turf allowed a normal divot since it has been warmer than average for the past month.

I will admit to having some cold hands the first couple holes. I was layered up (long underwear, turtleneck, sweater, rain jacket) and wore a beanie. I would wrap my right hand in my golf towel and push; the left hand with my glove stayed in my pocket.

The * is because I played preferred lies through the green and moved my ball in sand bunkers to undisturbed areas.

Brian Kuehn

• 1 month later...

Played Musgrove Mill today in Clinton, SC. Tough course at 155 Slope, made more difficult with damp conditions and recent flooding.

47-47 with 8 FW, 6 GIR and 39 putts. 3 penalty shots. I have been using the Stack Training system and found my self over rotating off the tee and hitting big slices. Normally hit 68% or more FW, but not today. 6 3-putts, and most were on GIR. Often, I was on the wrong side of a ridge, and 3-putting was expected. Birdied the 5th hole for the first time with a putt from off the green. Very happy about that! Really good up and down on the par 3 17th after missing the green and the ball rolled week back from the green. Hit a pitch to the back tier and drained a 10-footer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Played yesterday at a course I had not visited in several years (Kensington Metro Park). The turf in the Mitten is very spongy currently and one does not get  lot of bounce/roll this time of year. I played the White/Gold blend (5,720 yards 67.9/113) to give me a chance to score, which I did - 77. I did a little bit of everything, both good and bad. My driving was inconsistent and I was fortunate that Kensington does not have a lot of penalty areas or tight driving lanes. 

Our very mild and relatively dry winter has allowed well over half the courses to open while we are still a month from our active posting season. 

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Shot a 74 yesterday for my first round of the year.

Played really well, was -1 through 15 holes then 3 putt bogeyed each of the last 3 holes to finish +2. 2 of those were from 50+ feet on massive greens so not overly upset about it.

Pins were in some really tricky spots all day and some inconsistent green speeds didn't help.

I figured I'd be most rusty on lag putting since I've been able to practice just about everything else pretty consistently this winter. 

Made 4 birdies through the first 13 holes and missed a couple more great looks inside 10 feet too. 

Ball striking was phenomenal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Started with 3 consecutive birdies yesterday (have never even come close to doing anything like that before - and all 3 putts were <5 feet)… and shot 79. Such is the life of a ~9 handicapper.

Offseason work paid off a little too well in some spots - drove through 3 dogleg fairways into recovery situations. First round out had not adjusted club selection / aim for added distance.

Lag putting remains a huge opportunity area. 3x 3-putts all with initial putts of 30-40 feet.

Overall very excited with where my game sits. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So it goes.

I was on fire until the last two holes, which I bogied as I wobbled down the stretch. Shot a 73 at Huron Meadows (5,895 yards, 68.1/115, Par 72).  At least I added three birdies to the Away Birdie Challenge.

I am a champion on a short course.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Played Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, SC - 72.3/155 6422 yards.

47-45=92

Goal was to have no triple bogeys, 3-putts or double chips. Tripled #2, quadrupled #6 (with 7 shots from 113 yards!). Double chips on 2, 3, 7 and 14.  3-putted #8. 

11 fairways and 5 GIR. Not playing much and only doing speed training and it showed. Nifty up and down on 1 after hitting my gap wedge over the back of the green and down a hill into some terrible rough. Longest putt made was probably 4’.

Played a cracking good round today at a local course off the tips -71.3/126

It was early morning with heavy dew on the greens + recently cored greens so very slow for the first several holes

like glue on some down hill punts ... (unlike my local GC with much faster greens)

.. came up short so many times only inches from the hole ..so a round that could have seen me very close to PAR ...

I ended up with a 77 ...my best round at this course off the tips...

Best skilled hole off the tee + approach  524Y PAR 5 put my second on the green around 3yrds to the hole ...(I did 3-putt for a par ,,, but had a real chance of an eagle!! if only the greens weren't so slow and covered in worm castings)

• Thumbs Up 1

Go Foxy Go

Played Musgrove Mill in Clinton, SC. Oak tees are 155 course rating. And I shot 50-44 with 9 pars. Terrible results n the other holes. Tried a new swing thought to keep my club head outside my hands in order to hit more GIR. Only hit 5. I hit 12 fairways and had 27 putts, so I played bad on the holes where I missed the green and did not get up and down.  

79. 6,033 yards 69.2/115. The cool temps (40's) and the breeze of 12-15 mph played havoc with my approaches. I was mostly just happy all the snow was gone and we could play.

Brian Kuehn

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a 79 today on a soggy golf course. 12 pars, 5 bogies and a double.

Fairways haven't been mowed yet this year so they were as long as the rough usually is at that course. Absolutely zero roll too, most shots plugged or sat right next to where they landed.

Greens were very slow too but I putted fine overall, did a great job of hitting my start lines. 

Had multiple good looks inside 15 feet for birdies but didn't get any to drop.

Hit GIR and 2 putt parred every par 3 which was a positive.

It was a bit chilly for my tastes today, but with the upcoming golf outing, I went out and played with my son and his friend. 50 out and 48 in. Not bad for only playing 5 times in the last 2.5 years.

- Shane

(edited)

Had my personal worst Sunday.   Literally almost every club , except putter was struck way inside of the heel, many weak fades and the dressed S word.   Even with driver ball striking off the heek/hosel area. Fortunately I never got mad and just laughed all day about it with my partner.  The week before I couldn't miss hitting flush shots and bombing drives.  Driver was an embarrassment of barely reaching 175 yards with a terrible slice and even worse sound of contact.  

Monday went to hit balls into my net in the back yard,  going through my set up and wondering where it went wrong. My wife decided to hang outside and watch, she doesn't golf but she noticed on my downswing, my hips and rear shoulder looked like they were coming up.  So worked on that and  at initial set up I had my hands lower than earlier, made sure I stayed down through impact and ball striking was 100% better.   Makes me think my setup on the course was a little too upright causing my weight to fall towards toes a bit

Crazy how this game messes with your head.  I know ill be back on the course hitting better shots, I've done it before, so I know I can do it again.

Edited by Nyrangers1022
  • Thumbs Up 1

79. First round of 2024 at my "home" course today. It was windy and the greens were slow. I played very well other than my putting. 9.9 differential which is close to my current index. The poor putting is going to weigh on me mentally for a day or two. The greens were an issue but not enough to justify 38 putts. ☹️

Brian Kuehn

Walked 9 holes tonight and shot even par, 1 birdie, 1 bogey, 7 pars.

Got up and down a couple times from very tough spots to save pars, putted well and drove it well too.