IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

47 + 44 for a 91

Couldn’t keep up good ball striking. Putting was horrible. More three putts than one putts, might not have one putted. Short game is a mess. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Then I play in a shamble for 9 holes and shoot a 35 (-1). 😊

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

My brother and I played the back at Umstead yesterday in practice. He played every hole except 17, and a bogey there would’ve given him 49. Another solid round from him!

I started +1 through three, then on our own version of Amen Corner (three difficult par 4s), I went par-par-par. Then I bogeyed the last three to shoot 40. Thrilled with that number on the tougher back nine at Umstead. I hit four FIR and four GIR, and had 17 putts. Overall pretty solid, and that nine combined with the nine from Wednesday brought my index down to 10.9, a new personal low!

We have a nine hole practice round at Hillandale tomorrow morning before the conference tournament Monday, but it’s the beginning of the end of the season. I’m looking to finish strong!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Better off the tee. Short game and putting was way better.

went 43 - 42 for a 85. With two 7’s on the final 3 holes. With the ball in the middle of the fairway.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 with a random guy after getting off work early today.  (1 birdie, 5 bogies)

40 (diff 4.1)

• FW: 5/7
  • GIR: 4/9
  • putts: 17

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Shocking today 😞 Theoretically my last card to get a handicap.  Having been playing pretty well this week I was hopeful of a score at least near 100.  Well.  Not so much.  To look on the plus side, I putted very well - only one 3 put, and several 8ish foot one putts, so I'm really pleased with that.  Short game and approach game was really hard today - greens were super hard and fast and nothing stuck, on on the elevated greens I was punished.  Had two bunker disasters too.  And after starting hitting well off the tee, after about 6 holes I lost it - and hit terrible shots for pretty much every shot.  2nd shots were ok, and there were some high points with some fair approach shots, but overall very disappointing.  116.  And to add insult to injury I can't find all three cards - that may be a blessing as I get a chance to shoot a better score.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Yesterday was our practice round for the conference tournament, which is tomorrow. We only had time for nine holes (the tournament’s 18 holes), and we both played the whites, because that’s likely what we will play tomorrow.

I shot a 45, which I’m not that disappointed with because I started SO bad: +8 through 4. Mainly just putting myself out of position around the greens. Then I went bogey-bogey-par-par-bogey to finish. I hit the ball well overall, so I’ve got no reason to not feel good.

My brother, on the other hand, played SPECTACULAR golf. He made solid two-putt pars on the first two holes, then bogeyed the third and made another two putt par on the fourth. He was seven shots ahead of me.

Then he made back to back doubles, matched my par on seven and closed with two solid bogeys. A seven-over 42. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time he’s ever broken bogey golf, and it was fun to watch.

With that, we’re both feeling great about tomorrow, will probably make a blog post on Tuesday. I’ll also likely go into detail, especially since I’m close to All Conference. The good news: I’m so far inside the cut line for regionals that my coach has already booked our hotel room for Sunday night. Barring a triple digit score tomorrow (on a super easy course), we will be making the trip to Pinehurst next weekend!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Not a bad round considering I haven't played for a couple of weeks.  Started badly with a double as I laid up on a long par 4 and put my 3rd into the greenside bunker.

Double, par, bogey x 4, par, double, bogey x 5, par, bogey, par, bogey, par

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played my first 2 rounds for the season at my home course. Didn't play very well, but it was nice to finally play there again. 

The greens still needs some time, they are still very bumpy from last falls venting. 34 and 37 putts says it all really. Sunk 1 putt from outside 5 feet in 36 holes. Finshed yesterdays round with 9 bogeys and 2 pars in the last 11 holes with 11 straight 2 putts. Frustrating to say the least. 

Shot 89 on Saturday: 

6/13 fairways, 5/18 greens and 33 putts. I had a couple of blow up holes with unforced errors: Hole 4, 3 straight shanks (!!) on a 185 yards par 3 to get on in 4 shots (1 putt) for a double. Hole 6, 360 yards par 4, Decent teeshot, but ended up with some treetrouble, then shanked my attempt to punch a low shot under the branches to the trees on the other side of the fairway, needed 3 shots to get it on from there and 2-putted from 3 feet for a triple. Hole 10, 550 yards par 5 into wind. Good drive, good lay up 40 yards short of the green, shank OB, to 12 feets on the next try and 3-putt for another triple from there. Pffff!  

Shot 88 yesterday: 

6/13 fairways, 5/18 greens and 37!! putts. 2 blow up holes and a 4-putt double, are costly. 

The good shots are really good, but I hit too many bad shots. 

With the primary rough cut pretty short this time of year, it is possible to score out there, so I need to work on my consentration and commitment to each shot to avoid the big misses. 

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Played 11 holes (on Saturday, weather has been awful since) and played pretty much my best ever round (7x Bogey, 1 x double, 3 x triple, 63 total). No penalties, no sand 😁. We scored properly (which I think helped my concentration) and I put in a card for the first 9 holes (53), which has brought my handicap down quite a bit (I am a beginner....my 3rd scoring round) so I (and my partner) can now join in my club comps (hopefully this will help me improve). 

I concentrated on playing within myself, getting back in play when I got off line and as a result I managed to build my confidence as I went along. By the last 2 holes I felt confident to swing hard using my driver. This rouns was the first time I have reached the longer par 3 (160m) from the tee as well. Really encouraged and I have set my next goal to try and break 100. Just need to find the time to play 18!

• Thumbs Up 1

Played Minnesott again today solo as my son is on night shift.  Shot 84 (44 front, 40 back).  The course was in pristine shape as it was prepped for the local high school tourney this afternoon.  Club setup today was driver, 3wHL (17deg), 3h (21 deg), Tommy Armour 5,7,9, PW, GW and SW.  Got off to a shaky start, playing from the whites (just under 6,100 yds) with a double followed by bogie.  Plus 3 through 2 and I am thinking here we go.  Settled down on three with GIR and par!  Next five holes are all bogie so I am +8 heading into 9.  This is my nemesis par 3 - elevated tee, all water carry to an elevated green.  This thing will play with your head.  Normally I hit the SLDR 5i here, but with the TA's the 5i is a full club less so I go with the next longer club, the 3h.  A good 3/4 swing and the ball lands into the front of the green and rolls to within 10' of the flag.  Great opportunity for birdie, just roll it past missing by a couple of inches, tap in for par.  Make the turn at +8 for a 44.  The back nine starts with the two hardest rated holes for that side.  Still following my thought process of focusing on par for each hole, I tee off and the drive is in the middle of the fairway.  A little short, but I can still reach with the 3h.  Wind up pin high to the right.  Up and down I have par for 10.   11 is another striped drive for me down the middle.  The green is guarded by a pond and I opt to lay up with the PW.  Take the GW and wind up pin high in the fringe.  One putt later and I am even through the two toughest holes of the side.  Come to 12, a short par three.  Thinking a solid 7i will get me on the green.  Drill the iron with the slightest draw and I see the bunker guarding the right side.  Clear it and land pin high.  Birdie opportunity again, but I choke and leave it 3ft short.  A comfortable putt in for par.  I am even through the first three on the back.  13 is a par 5 and I get another good tee shot.  Layup with the 5i and have a PW into the green.  Hit it almost too far as it stops just off the green in the short fringe.  Thinking a long putt for birdie, but a slight miss right and tap in for par (less than a foot).  Even through the first four holes on the back.  Getting cocky.  On 14, the other par 3, I hit it a little fat and have to chip on with the 9i, 2 putt for bogie and I am back to reality.  Bogie as well on 15, par on 16.  Reach 17 in regulation, only to 3 putt for a bogie.  Finish 18 with bogie as well as an errant tee shot had me scrambling to get a good approach into the green.  Finish plus 4 on the back for a 40.  Finished with 35 putts (one of my better days), 7 / 14 fairways hit, with only one miss more than a yard or so off (18), 5/18 GIR (plus 3 nGIR),  7 pars, 10 bogies and 1 dbl.  I think the game was less busy today with the limited number of clubs in the bag and staying focused on making par the goal.    

image.thumb.png.d8c86482c578a2dd40ca74195406cb8d.png  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played today, shot 80. 4 GIR and 4 more nGIR. Chipped in for birdie on the first hole and 29 footer for birdie on 17. Found greenside bunker on 3, 9, and 15 and was able to make good shots out on each. Didn't record a sand-save, but they were all inside 10 feet, so can't complain. I've practiced some bunker shots here and there, will continue and hopefully improve more. Stats-wise, putting improved to 12 HCP equiv, I'm losing strokes on mid-range putts not holing anything in the 7-15 foot range.  I need to get some of those once in a while to boost the strokes gained. I know the percentage make is lower in that range, but it has to be better than 0%.  Probably worried too much about 3-putting. Scratch driving today, and +1 short game.  Approach shots 100+ yards need some diligent practice. I have a HCP equivalent but it's too painful to share. I've not practiced approach shots at all, nursing an injury, but that is resolving itself, so that's priority 1, 2, and 3 for the near term.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

So today my friend and I were supposed to play Pinehurst #4.  I typically walk past the Starter Shack on #2 and grab a push cart. Out of the blue the Starter (Jack) asks if I would like to play #2 as they’re were several open spots.  I quickly called my friend and redirected him to #2.

The best part about it was that some USGA people were here today and in addition to that the pins were set to the locations of the 1999 US Open that Payne Stewart won.  So, what a treat!

Greens per the Starter were running at 10.2 on the Stimp Meter.  Practice green was fast so I could just imagine the greens on the course.

Quick summary, first three holes were par, bogey and a birdie! Hit a 65 yard sand wedge and spun it back to inside a foot.  So I’m even. Holes 4-6, bogey, bogey, par.  2 over at this point. Holes 7-9. Sandy par on 7, short sided bunker shot and made the putt. Par 5 8th I’m green side on the right in two. But the pin was top corner on the left. Rolled the ball towards the hole and it almost went off the back, not sure how it held on that corner as it should have gone down the hill. Two putted for par. The 9th hole par 3 was playing 153 bottom right. Hit first and it drew just  left the pin. Downhill putt for birdie the just missed.  38 on the front.

Back nine, holes 10-14.  Par 5 10th, easy par 5.  Made bogey. Don’t ask! Holes 11-14 were all pars. Saved by two tight chips for par and 2 standard pars. Holes 15-18. At this point I’m 4 over.  But a bogey on the last par 3 hole 15. Short of the green, let’s putt. Pin is in the lower left corner, putting up hill. Not hard enough came right back down, bogey! Par 5 16th, just nuked the driver, going to try to get there in two. At this point the winds were picking up, wind was blowing left to right. Hit my 3 wood, it had to be enough, but I just watch the draw stall in the air and get pushed into the bunker on the right. Now I’m faced with another somewhat short sided bunker shot.  What luck, didn’t hit it that well but it hit a green side sprinkler cover which helped as it bounced and maintained the spin somehow. Just missed a slippery 5 footer but saved par. 17th par three, love this hole as it’s were I made my first hole in one. Pin was all the way back, shot it at 174. Hit what looked like the perfect shot, thought it would be close but hit it too well and it went over the green.  Putt was downhill then uphill to the green then once it was on the green it would run downhill. I did all three and had a good 5 footer back up to the pin which I promptly made.  Off to 18, I’m 4 over. Hit another good drive but it was into the wind. 18 isn’t that long at 366 yards, but I was left with 145 into the wind again. Hit the 6 iron, try for the left side of the green so the wind could push the ball to the back right corner pin. Boy did it push it, and push it. Hit the green but it rolls off right and curled around behind the right side bunker.  At this point I just decided t go left of the pin and just hit the green.  Two of my playing partners already went off the back of the green unable to stop their putts. Took the easy two putt for bogey for a 39.

Overall a 77, 30 putts. White tees at 6307 yards. It probably played closer to 6400 as some White tee boxes were closed and we were back at a few Blue tees.  Only hit 50% of fairways and 44% GIR. An up and down day.  Round took just under 5 hours at 4:50.  Ugh! Temp was 64 when we started off at 8:10 and when we finished it was 85.  My odds are tired!

• Thumbs Up 1

Played 9 hole best ball today with the church men’s group.  Our group was 2 under 34 for the nine.  Made some decent drives, approaches, putts.  Was a fun round.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played a fun round on my home course yesterday. From the yellow tees (6300 yards - 72,7/147 - par 72) and I shot a relatively stressfree 82. Felt it was nothing spectacular, but avoided the really big mistakes. I would like to play these 4 holes again though: 

Hole 5 - 380 yards par 4, dogleg left: Misshit my 4W horribly off the tee. It never left the ground and ended up just at the start of the fairway, leaving me with 290 yards left. Made another horrible shot with the same club from there and sliced it 70 yards off line to the left, leaving me with about 90 yards in over some high trees. Tried to hit my 60° over the trees from there, but thinned it a bit, hit a branch and ricochetted into the fairway 50 yards short of the green. Managed to get it to 12 feet from there and sunk the putt to make a very undeserved bogey. 

Hole 9 - 500 yards par 5, 70 feet uphill and playing into wind: My drive was a big low banana of a slice, but at least it move the ball 220 yards and ended up in the semirough just a couple of feet left of the fairway. Simililar low banana of a slice with my 4W from there, but managed to keep out of trouble and move the ball 200 yards further up the left side. Left with 80 yards blind and a steep uphill lie, I opted to chip my AW on from there to get better control of the strike. Nice shot! Ended up on the lower of two plateaus on the green with around 20 feet for birdie. Gave it too much pace up the hill and didn't make the 5 feeter for par either. 3-putt bogey! 

Hole 13 - 390 yards par 4 with a quite narrow teeshot that goes steep down hill the last 110 yards: My natural shape is a fade, so I allways aim right side of the fairwar off the tee. This time I pulled my 4W just enough to hit the trees on the left and it fell dead to the ground, leaving me with 220 yards and some more tree-trouble. I pulled out my 6 iron and tried to hit a draw around the trouble, but it started just to far left and hit the trees again. Still 165 yards left to the green that now sat around 40 feet lower than the ball. Smoked my AW and it landed 12 feet too long, in the downhill runoff behind the green, and it bounced and rolled out another 25 yards from there to the rough. With almost no green to work with, I hit a fantastic shot from there to 3 feet with my 60° and saved another undeserved bogey. 

Hole 16  -350 yard par 4, a dogleg right that narrows o lot the last 140 yards. Not a "driver-hole". I Hit my 8-iron to te center of the fairway, leaving me with around 165 yards downhill left. The green lies down by the lake, so left is not the miss here. I hit my soft 9-iron a bit lazy and leave the clubhead a bit open and dump it just to far left - in the hazard. Chunked the chip from there a bit, so I needed 2 putts to secure an annoying double bogey.....which should not be in play from the fairway on this hole. 

Had some decent birdie opportunities, but couldn't sink any of them. Despite the one 3-putt and leaving 4 putts within a foot short on the right line, I felt like the putter was my friend. Hmmmm. 

9 pars, 8 bogeys, 1 double bogey. 7/13 fairway (1/6 with driver), 5/18 greens and 30 putts. 

Didn't strike the ball very well, but still managed to get a decent score. Fair enough!  🙂 

• Like 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I am embarrassed to post this but yesterday in my league I shot a 59.  Unfortunately that was on 9 holes.  I will make some excuses.  First, I have not practiced at all since October (did do @ 5 shots in March at the range but 5 shots cannot count as practice) and this was my first time out.  Also, weather was cold & windy with water-logged fairways killing everyone's distance so even when I clubbed up and hit a good pure shot it was short.  Out of 21 golfers, only 6 shot their average or better.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Scorecard says 44, but had some extra mullies in there so probably closer to 48-50. 

I'm very happy with how it turned out, especially for just my 2nd round of the season. My first round I had some horrible chipping, and I did a little bit of work on it and it was good today. I was giving myself a good chance for pars but putting was a little off but got better later on, drained a 45+ foot putt for a par save on 6, gave the hole a good scare for a birdie on 9.

First round was very blustery, and it allowed me to experiment with hand positioning to try and draw/fade the ball. I was able to take that experimentation to this round and was hitting some very nice drives. 

Only hit 2 out of 9 GIR, and 3 putted one of those 2. Iron play is usually the weakest part of my game, but I have been working on it and had a few really good shots, that didn't feel like flukes.

Pretty much every part of my game could use a little work, but nothing seems way out of whack from the others and nothing seems hopeless. Very excited for the upcoming season.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

52 with one lost ball, so I got my money worth tonight. 

Short game and putting killed me. I had a combination of 7 GIR and nGIR.

I had 23 putts. Just couldn’t get myself to hit it soft enough. The greens were shockingly fast for this time of year. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag