IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

89 Yesterday at Park Ridge.  That is a new personal best for me at that course, so I am pleased.  Two birdies and some ugly holes.  It has six par 5s which suits me well.

94 today at Southwinds.  Annoying. I had a big fade in all my swings today which tells me that I was tired out.  Two days of golf in a row and about 5 hours of sleep I suppose caused that...or maybe I was just sucking.  Anyway, it screwed everything up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Par 70 course shot 13 over.  First four holes, par.  Next five holes bogey.  Five over after 9.  10 and 11 par.  12 OB and double bogey.  13 par.  Then 14 to 16 bogey.  17 OB and double bogey.  18 bogey.  8 over for the back 9.  Must say didn't expect it to end so badly.  And the worst part is neither OB was a bad shot.  Was just a slight pull to the left.  No draw 🤬

Overall striking the ball well.  Holes 5 to 9 all holes nGIR and one bad chip and two putts 😢

Reasonably happy with my round.  Nice striking but short game and finishing was an issue.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Shot a fantastic 70 (35-35) today. 4 birdies, with a bogey on 9 and 18. Stupid 3 puts on both.

Actually shot my age again. First time it was a 68, two years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Played Pinehurst #5 this morning, finished with a 78.  Drove the ball well, hit 13/15 fairways.  Greens in Regulation, 3! That’s right, just missing most of them.  Putting saved my round,  26 total putts, 13 a side.  8 one putts several from 5 feet of more to save par.  Made two birdies, one of them from off the green from about 16ft, a real gift. The 9th hole was hilarious (at least to me). Dogleg right downhill (363 yards). Cut the corner with my 4 wood. 2nd shit is 140 downhill with the wind at my back.  Immediate thought was pitching wedge. Green had a false front, flag was short middle. So I thought let’s hit an abbreviated 9 iron. Great swing, ball is high and turning right to left. Looked like it will be right on the pin. Flies the pin and rolls off the back.  Up and down, one putt.  Oh well!

I played well today, and tied my second-best score with a 90. But here’s the kicker: I was +6 thru 13. Yep. I shot 42 on the front nine, then started the back nine 5-5-2-4 (par-bogey-birdie-par). I then made four sixes in a row, +7 on those holes, meaning I still could make a seven on the par-3 eighteenth and shoot 89.

But I hit my first shot into the lake, and I went to the red tees (no designated drop zone), and hit my third shot onto the front of the green, but it spun back off the front and rolled down into the water. Then I hit my fifth shot to the fringe and three-putted. A real choke job on the last five holes. I could’ve easily shot 85 or even better today. But on the bright side, I had two birdies, both on par-3s.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Between all the rain of late here in Eastern NC and my left foot developing a breakdown in the grafted skin, life on the links has been non-existent.  I am hoping to get back out again soon...sure missing the feel of a flushed ball sailing down the fairway.  Love reading the daily game reports on here.

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Golf is hard!  Yesterday I shot 87, my highest score of the year.  Played in a Men’s event on Pinehurst #5 where I typically shoot low 70’s.  Our whole group got off to a bad start. No one broke 80.  I went OB 3 times, 3 putted 3 times and missed 4 putts inside 3-4 feet for par.  Course conditions were below average.  Maintenance of the course was below par due to a shortage of maintenance personnel.  Cups haven’t been changed in a while, have you ever seen the cup rims overgrown by grass before?  And of course they decided to finally do some maintenance before the event started and sanded all the greens.  Everyone struggled!

Fast forward to today!  Played #2.  In fantastic shape, greens are rolling true, fairways are what I call lush, not cut to tight.  Bunkers were even raked!  Shot 4 over 76(White Tees).  What did I do better?  Putting was great, 2 sandy pars, one sandy birdie. 3 over on the front, one over on the back, bogeyed 18.  Statistically I hit only 7 fairways and 6 GIR.  Chipping, bunker play and putting both on and from off the green was great. 27 putts.

An 83 from the back tees today. 3 double bogeys, 5 bogeys, 10 pars, and no birdies. Well, nothing on the line, no game, just a friendly round with a few of the guys.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

39-42-81

Best round in a while and it could have been better. Missed a gimme (we putt everything out) and had a bad double bogey because of a poor decision. 

Bill M

Today was a great day of golf. It was a 9-hole 2v2 match, me and my coach vs a teammate and one of my friends (the one who tries to get in my head). We played from the blue tees, which measure about 3100 yards on the front. Lowest combined score wins, but I was mainly playing my teammate who I’ve tied the last three or four times we’ve played each other.

I made five on the first two par-4 holes, despite laying two in a greenside trap on both holes. I made a bogey on the next after hitting a mediocre chip shot to 20 feet. Another bogey on the fourth despite going in the trees off the tee. On the fifth, a 418-yard par 4 from the tips (377 from whites), I got one of the luckiest breaks of my life.

A tree overhangs the blue tee on the left side, forcing players to hit a draw to get to the 150 marker. I pulled it left into the tree, but the ball went through a hole in the leaves that couldn’t have been much bigger around than an orange. I didn’t have a shot to the green and made double, but that could’ve easily been triple or worse.

I got lucky again on the short par 4 sixth. There’s a bunker on the right that’s about 220 to carry from the blues. I flew it right toward that bunker, and it landed short and jumped right over the trap. I had 70 yards left, and I hit a knockdown wedge (probably not the best play) to the back of the green, probably 35 feet from the cup, on a severely sloped back-to-front green, meaning I had a brutal downhill putt that was gonna be hard to stop because of the speed of the greens today. I judged the read/speed perfectly, and it curled in for an unbelievable birdie. My partner/coach had just about the same putt as me, and he nearly made it, but settled for par. We picked up three shots on that hole, increasing our lead to a double-digit margin with just the last three to play.

I got my last bit of luck on the seventh. I thought the play was an 8I, but was a club short. It landed just beyond the greenside bunker, and rolled back toward it, but stopped right on the edge, leaving me with a very doable chip. I nearly holed that for another birdie, but I had a tap-in par, and then finished bogey-bogey to polish off a 43. Could’ve been a bit better because I shanked a wedge third shot on the ninth hole into a bunker, then took three to get down for bogey. But, because of my recoveries and excellent putting (only needed 14 putts, no three-jacks) throughout the round, it also could’ve easily been 46 or 47. But I’m pleased with my 43. My game’s definitely changing for the better.

We ended up winning the match by, I believe, ten shots. I don’t know exactly what everyone else shot, but I know this. My coach definitely shot in the 30s, my teammate lost to me by a few, and I beat my other friend by a shot or two.

WITB:

Shot 90 today. Second round in a row where I needed a bogey to break 90 and made double. Same course too lol. Oh well. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, WillieT said:

Between all the rain of late here in Eastern NC and my left foot developing a breakdown in the grafted skin, life on the links has been non-existent.  I am hoping to get back out again soon...sure missing the feel of a flushed ball sailing down the fairway.  Love reading the daily game reports on here.

Got to play a "birthday round" today as it was my youngest son's birthday.   Shot 103, but it was more about time on the course with him (it was the first round he's ever played, he's 29).  Had a couple of opportunities at birdie and more for par which would have greatly lowered the score as these were either bogey or double scores. Also never got into a great rhythm but like I said it was about time with my son.  Good thing, the new to me putter, an Odyssey White Steel 5, was a treat to putt with.  Now to get the approach game back to speed.  Several nGIRs as well.  It is relaxing to "know" that GIR is not the end of the hole and that good nGIR's are the doors to par!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

90 yesterday afternoon in intermittent rain at lovely Osprey Pointe.  My wet 8-iron slipped from my hands and into the bushes on the 166 yard 11th tee as I watched the ball dribble after it.  And I felt the driver slip on the 13th tee for a slicy line drive. But it was not a big deal beyond that.  I will take the 90.

I feel a strange sense of pride that I did not go for the green in two on any of the par 5s.  That is usually my favorite part.  But this course protects its par 5s very well.

Restraint. This old dog can learn new tricks.

I wasn’t even planning on playing today, but my dad asked if we wanted to play nine holes around 5:30, and we did. I scraped together a respectable 46. One really terrible hole: a triple on the fifth.

I hit my drive to the right of the fairway, and I was worried when I saw that my ball had come to rest right against a tree root. I elected to try to hit it, but I hit the root instead. I then took an unplayable and chipped to the 150. It took me three to get down from there for a seven.

Apart from that hole, I had six bogeys and two pars. Putting wasn’t great (19), but I was grazing the lip with a lot of putts, so I was giving them a chance.

My best shot of the day, though, was this 9I dart I hit on the par-3 third, my ball is the one closest to the pin.

CA718620-BB6E-43E5-93FB-388988B17B3D.thumb.jpeg.729a74d3a526479903eee59c18e069e7.jpeg

Obviously, given the above, I missed and made par. The other white ball was my dad’s tee shot, and he made his two. The orange ball was my brother’s chip shot, and he two-putted for bogey. 

I’ve got another tee time for 11:15 tomorrow, so we’ll see if I putt a bit better.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

81 on Thursday, and a 79 yesterday. Looks like we may be rained out today.

Shot 95 yesterday on a course two weeks ago where I shot 107. I am very pleased with the progress and feel another significant step in my game coming on. 

Was thrilled with a 44 on the front and naturally fell apart on the back with a 51. The heat started getting to me and I wasn't near as focused as I had been on the front. A triple on a long par 5 that included an OB penalty shot on my second didn't help at all. 

Excited to play a new course today that I've wanted to play all spring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Well, we didn't get rained out today, and I shot a 79. I can't figure it out, two 79's in a row, bot the same score 37- 42. I think the back 9 is playing totally different than the front 9.  Like, they're cuting the greens differently, maybe trying to let the fairways grow mor or less than the front 9, etc. I just can't figure it out. I know it's not ME! 🤩