IGNORED

Shoulder Turn

Bill926
Note: This thread is 3091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did it!!

I was able to find a perfectly neutral setup position.  My left shoulder now "pushes" down.  My swing is no longer rubbish and it also no longer worries anyone greatly.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/12/2015, 2:51:01, mythbuster said:

ok, i am going to try and answer all queries in just the one post.

in regard to the query on shoulder turn, the wrist hinge artificially manipulated  in a backward hinging motion  will be a better way to start the backswing, although not the real answer to this dilemma. the only way you can guarantee results is by pushing down on the "total' left shoulder, almost perpendicularly, around a fixed upper horizontal spine.

when i say the game is "screwed " for money, that is fairly obvious if you just look at the "wombats " who get a license to teach questionable antics .

it is not rocket science , this revered golf swing.

a lot of the videos of so called great swings i see here worry me greatly, as they are not at all natural, and require huge adjustments to the person"s natural movement .

this is a huge problem if you are just trying to play the game without possible future injury or permanent health implications as a result of being foolhardy .

Please don't take this is any sort of attack. I'm simply perplexed at this post. If you have some condition I'm not aware of I apologize but I can make absolutely no sense of what you wrote here. "Horizontal Spine?". "Guarantee results?" Please put some thought into what you post if you're going to attempt to help others. Again, I apologize if you are working through some sort of communication barrier. Please explain what swings are worrying you. And please explain what is natural about swinging a club on a tilted axis.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
5 hours ago, mythbuster said:

sorry to hurt your feelings mvmac as i didn"t even realize that you were the instigator of the post.

i honestly just thought you were some smart ar.e having a lend of me. anyway, that is why i gave such a skewed response as it was in jest .  anyway, i did not also realize you wrote a book and i can now understand why you think golf is such a challenge-GOLF is HARD.

@mvmac didn't write the book. I did. It's my avatar which has the phrase "Golf is Hard™" on it.

It's tough to take you seriously for several reasons, but high on the list:

• You don't quote anyone, so nobody knows to whom or what post you're responding.
  • You don't even know who said what.
  • You are making ridiculous claims. I don't make that statement lightly. Here's the example:

whether you push down the left shoulder or not is immaterial as long as you are in a neutral setup position .i know you dispute this, as you keep going on about how you think you know what neutral actually is.

i will repeat this again -if you can find a perfect, neutral setup position , the swing is then automatic.

No, it isn't.

i think you should hold back on your pious attitude just because i am a 15 handicapper until you can digest the real connotations of my alleged diatribe.

I'm just reading what you're writing, and you've written "if you can do this one thing, the swing is automatic." It is not. You are wrong.

At this point, given the multitude of posts which get us nowhere, I'm inviting you to post all of your theories in this thread:

We can rename it as necessary (please, suggest a new name in that thread if you have one). But I'm going to insist that you post there for awhile, and post properly for awhile, too. That means quoting and the simpler things like recognizing who said what. I think you'll find it's not that difficult as the names of everyone appear to the left of each post they make.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wish one pattern made the entire swing automatic... (sigh). It doesn't.

Golf takes work and constant feedback. I carry a stick and holder for my iPhone to take slo-mo video, so I can attempt to change the picture. I know what is wrong, curing it typically takes work with a knowledgeable instructor.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 hours ago, mythbuster said:

i will repeat this again -if you can find a perfect, neutral setup position , the swing is then automatic.

If you have found the secret-how come you are still a 15 handicap?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I was working on my hip turn, and realized that hip & shoulder turns are closely connected.  So, I came to this thread to learn something and what I got is a handful of myth   ;-).

I had problem making the proper hip turn. When I tried to consciously dip my shoulder, my hip turn improved. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

@mythbuster is sitting at home laughing his butt off.  He's just being a troll.  You see how he ignores what anyone says and continues his weird rant about set up.  i wouldn't even bother responding to him anymore.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

10 hours ago, mythbuster said:

i think you should hold back on your pious attitude just because i am a 15 handicapper until you can digest the real connotations of my alleged diatribe.

I still don't really know what you are stating regarding the shoulder turn? 15 handicaps are pretty good players, yes, but not as good as a 1 who's been instructing for some number of years and been playing the game since high school.

All I can state is that I was a beginner when I started taking advice from some of the people on this site, and that I've gotten pretty close to my golfing potential in just a couple years. I doubt that I will play much better, simply because I've gained a serious appreciation of how hard this game is to play. It's not a defeatist attitude, but a reality. If your plan is to win $5 a round or hole then you probably play as well as you need against other bogey golfers. Statistics don't lie, and according to statistics you are the average player.

If you plan to become even a low single digit player or scratch from where you are, that's really hard if even possible.

The only way I can see golf not being hard is if you don't keep track of all your strokes. . .that's easy. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!