IGNORED

How nervous do you get when you play?

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How nervous do you get when you play?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How nervous do you get when you play?

• Rarely get nervous on the golf course.
    • Little bit at the start of the round.
    • I'm nervous for most of the round.
    • So nervous my hands are shaking.

I would say for me it depends on what the situation is:

Playing casual or practice rounds I rarely, if ever, get nervous on the course. I'm just out there to have some fun and improve my game in any way I can

Playing in tournaments I get a little bit of first tee jitters, but it fades as soon as I hit the shot. My heart rate also increases whenever I have a 4-6 footer in a tournament, or if I'm playing particularly well and am in contention. It makes me focus more helps me more than it hurts me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to get pretty nervous when I didn't play very often. The last couple of years since I've gotten to play more regularly I am pretty comfortable with my game so really the only time I might get a little nervous around is short chip shots around the green just not very comfortable with those yet.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Casual rounds, scrambles, or even our men's league not at all. Playing in singles tournaments like our club championship and such is a whole new ball game for me but it isn't a conscious thing because I feel fine but the mistakes I make I know are related to nerves, mainly just knowing I can actually win. I have spent a lot of time on strengthening my pre-shot routine which made a huge difference and finally paid off this year.

The only time I'm ever nervous is at the beginning of a competitive, tournament round.  That's usually gone by the second or third hole.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It depends on the situation for me.  I have played in enough tournaments over the years that I am more excited than nervous before the first tee shot.  But there are definitely a bit of nerves on the first tee.  I was really excited and nervous teeing off at the Old Course, Pebble Beach, etc... and I suspect I will be again when I play another "bucket list" type course.  At certain points in almost every round, there are shots that get the blood pumping but not so that my hands are shaking.

Frankly, if I were "flat line" on the first tee, at the start of a tournament, or when set to make an important shot, golf wouldn't be much fun.  Excitement, nerves, emotions, whatever you want to call it, makes the game fun.

Brian Kuehn

I used to get nervous when I teed it up on the first tee in a tournament, but today I don't get nervous simply because I just play for my own enjoyment. If you don't get nervous at the start of a tournament you must have ice in your veins even the admit they are nervous on the first tee of a tournament. 

14 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

I used to get nervous when I teed it up on the first tee in a tournament, but today I don't get nervous simply because I just play for my own enjoyment. If you don't get nervous at the start of a tournament you must have ice in your veins even the admit they are nervous on the first tee of a tournament. 

The funny thing is, I would describe the feeling of the combination of nerves and excitement I feel in tournaments as similar to having ice in my veins. 

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

The funny thing is, I would describe the feeling of the combination of nerves and excitement I feel in tournaments as similar to having ice in my veins. 

I would not call it that, but it is a good feeling and if I did not have teeing off in a tournament there had to be something wrong with me. I loved that feeling when I hit that first tee shot in a tournament.  When playing ball I had that feeling just before the first pitch of the game when on defense. I miss that these days as I quit playing ball at 47 years old. 

Edited by shanksalot

I am always a little anxious at the start of tournaments but it goes away as I settle in. It comes back to a degree if I am in the hunt down the stretch of a medal tournament and if I am in a tight match play game. Casual rounds with a few bucks on the line, never nervous. I just have fun in those games.

Bill M

On 10/22/2015, 12:59:40, Yukari said:

Only on the first hole. And only when I'm in a tournament. Usually I am pretty relaxed during casual rounds. It could be because I played so many rounds as a single being paired up with strangers that it doesn't phase me anymore. 

^^^^^^^  Exactly

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!