IGNORED

How nervous do you get when you play?

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How nervous do you get when you play?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How nervous do you get when you play?

• Rarely get nervous on the golf course.
    • Little bit at the start of the round.
    • I'm nervous for most of the round.
    • So nervous my hands are shaking.

According to Dr. Bob Rotella all golfers are nervous when playing at one time or another." I don't know how you play well unless you're nervous." says Nicklaus. Ever get it so bad that your hands tremble and your heart races? 

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I'm not sure nervous is the word I'd use but when I'm playing poorly, I definitely experience anxiety over the shot, generally manifested by trying to guide the ball which means I decelerate and crazy stuff happens after that.  

Confidence is so important in this game.  There is nothing like stepping over your ball and KNOWING it's going to do what you envision.  Conversely, there's nothing more scary than having no idea where it's going.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In tournaments, really, reallllllllllllllllllly nervous. ;)  At least leading up to it - my next one isn't for another 6 1/2 weeks and I already have butterflies thinking about it.  Once the first drive is out of the way, though, I usually settle down some.

In casual rounds, way, way less nervous, however, there is always a little bit of anxiety over that first tee shot.  Sort of a, "hmmm, I wonder what today has in store for me??":beer:

I am firm believer that other dangerous scary things in one's life make other things much easierr to cope with. Because of this belief there is nothing in golf that bothers me. I might provide myself with "scary" game  sometimes, but those times are more entertaining than being nervous, or anxious.

My point is just remember surviving other bad situations you may have been in.  Golf is just a game. To most golfers it's not life threatening event. Golf should be viewed as form of relaxation for those not making a living at it. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In tournaments, really, reallllllllllllllllllly nervous. ;) 

Only for the opening tee shot and maybe through the first two holes. Then I just get into playing golf. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Only for the opening tee shot and maybe through the first two holes. Then I just get into playing golf. 

Yes, exactly.  That picture to the left there, for example, if you look closely you'll probably see that I'm blurry while everybody else is clear, because I'm trembling so much.  :-P  That was about 90 seconds before my first drive of the saturday singles round at the Newport Cup, for those who don't know.  One "perfect" drive later, compounded by a second solid shot to the center of the green, and I was off and running. :)

Ever get it so bad that your hands tremble and your heart races? 

Never.   But I think it's b/c of my athletic background.   I competed as a boxer and every other sports I played for "fun" was a cakewalk.   That doesn't mean I don't get nervous.  I just don't get nervous as what you described above.  

Edited by rkim291968

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I used to get really nervous, but now I'm not really bothered by it.  I primarily play tournaments... and when it's not a tournament, I'm typically alone, so... no need to be nervous.  

I actually tend to get more nervous the better I'm playing because I'm in unfamiliar territory.  If I'm out there making my typical bogey or double bogey, that's what I kind of expect to be happening, with an occasional par or birdie sprinkled in.  When I start stringing together good holes, I begin to think about how NOT to screw it up... and then, I'll inevitably do just that.  

It took me seemingly FOREVER to break 90... and now that it's happened a few times, I don't get nervous or anxious about it anymore... but, if I'm playing well enough that I may crack 85 (or 40 for a side), that's when the nerves will creep in.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Do you all find that sometimes, being a little nervous helps you focus better?   I think I do at times.  

Edited by rkim291968
  • Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'll sometimes have first tee jitters, but rarely.

One of the things I've struggled with lately, has been a few times when I'm putting for a "Win" either the match or just to win the hole.

It's usually when I'll have a waiting period of time, I'll either rush or just have a brain dead moment and flat out not execute fundamental

mechanics of my routine putting stroke.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Do you all find that sometimes, being a little nervous helps you focus better?   I think I do at times.  

Absolutely.  I think it's a good thing.  If I didn't get nervous, I'd take that as a sign that I didn't really care all that much, and then consequently, wonder why I'm even doing it. ;)

Which is why, typically, some nerves will still be there throughout the entire round if I am playing well and think I have a chance to win, and conversely, it feels like a nothing practice round if I'm clearly out of it.  I've stopped "caring" at that point.

Edited by Golfingdad
Added second thought.

I'm generally mental all the time anyway. 

The first tee can be a bit rough sometimes. The real problems come after two consecutive severe mishits. All the blood in my body courses into my head and threatens to burst out of my ears. It's a big challenge for me to settle down after that and salvage the round.

The less arsed I am about it the better. All the time.

First tee nerves? That's why I have a 4 iron. Sure it's 30 yds shorter than my driver carry, but it's in play. Better that than starting out in the trees. Better starting with a good chance for a GIR and a chance at a birdie than scrambling for bogey.

Then I try to avoid the mid-front or mid-back 9 meltdown.

Above all, have fun. It's a bloody amateur tournament. We're not earning a living doing this. It's not like we're dependent upon winning that grand prize for our next meal. But make sure your clubs are clean, and dress well for the tournament, so while you're playing you can use these tips that I find helpful.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Only on the first hole. And only when I'm in a tournament. Usually I am pretty relaxed during casual rounds. It could be because I played so many rounds as a single being paired up with strangers that it doesn't phase me anymore. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

just the opposite - golf is relaxation for me, so when I'm super calm and 'zen', then my focus rolls in and the play gets really good. 

Nervous, annoyed, distracted?  that's bad juju

Bill - 

I'll start by saying that I haven't gotten to tournament golf yet, but coming from a wrestling/MMA/rugby background I am WAY less nervous before a round of golf that I was in my prior athletic conquests, but in a way I kind of WANT to be nervous about it. I think that feeling of nerves if good, cause it means you care. Sometimes (OK MOST of the time) I hack it up, but nothing feels better than BEING nervous and conquering it. I know people say you will play better if you don't pay attention to score, but I like knowing that I need a certain score to break 100 and being successful. I remember reading something from @iacas about "enjoying pressure" and I would like to think that I exemplify that but I'm obviously not good enough of a golfer yet....some day.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Was not nervous at all for my first tournament earlier this year but in my second tournament I shanked my drive OB and since then I get nervous for the first shot if I am playing with kids from other schools that I don't know. However, after that first shot I am not nervous and when playing casual rounds I have never felt nervous other then the first time that I was about to shoot in the 70's

After the first shot of bourbon, I'm fine ... seriously, officer.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!