IGNORED

Spike Marks on Someone Else's Line

colin007
Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So obviously you can't fix spike marks on your own putting line (which is an asinine rule), but let's say you saw ridiculous spike marks on your playing partner's line, would it be a rule beach for you to fix those marks? Doing so just out of being a nice person?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

So obviously you can't fix spike marks on your own putting line (which is an asinine rule), but let's say you saw ridiculous spike marks on your playing partner's line, would it be a rule beach for you to fix those marks? Doing so just out of being a nice person?

Yes, it is a Rules breach and the penalty is applied to the player whose line of play (or putt) you improved (the line of putt is a subset of line of play).  See below:

13-2. Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

What if I do it before my partner can object?

If he allows it, even tacitly, you've caused him to incur a penalty.  Just don't put him at risk.

If I'm a referee and see you doing it, you'll be talked to and besides a penalty for him, you're risking a DQ for yourself.

I have seen this done where a person created the marks while being distracted and they didn't really look at the other golfer's line.  What say you about this?  Again, it was not intentional at all. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

1 hour ago, CoachB25 said:

I have seen this done where a person created the marks while being distracted and they didn't really look at the other golfer's line.  What say you about this?  Again, it was not intentional at all. 

Rulesman gave the answer - there is a principle at work in this case: the player is entitled to the lie (or line, in this case) that his shot gave him. 

1 hour ago, Martyn W said:

Rulesman gave the answer - there is a principle at work in this case: the player is entitled to the lie (or line, in this case) that his shot gave him. 

Unless it was the player himself (or his caddie or partner) that made it worse.

You get a sour look on your face and tap down on the spike mark after you miss your 3' putt. It's part of the putting routine.

It's really a dumb rule IMO. You can repair ball marks in your putting line and move debris from that line, but can't tap a spike mark that's in your line.

I suppose you could tap down a spike mark in your competitor's line without incurring a penalty for them if they weren't looking.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

To those who think that not being permitted to repair spikemarks on the line of putt is 'a dumb rule', I would remind you of Mr. Tuft's explanation.

" Of all the basic principles, the playing of the course as you find it is certainly one of the most sacred, and those who violate it can hardly have acquired an understanding or appreciation of the game"

".....it is necessary to recognize that the Rules do grant what at first may appear to be certain exceptions to playing the course as you find it. However, all these additional circumstances are not actually exceptions to the principle,they are in the nature of granting relief from a part of the course not in proper condition (Rule 23, 24 and 25 exceptions) and .......ball marks on the putting green.

(Page 10, The principles behind the Rules of Golf)

I think it is a little pretentious of a rule myself.  The course and green would never have been meant to be played with spike marks on it.  If that was the architects intention we would have some very interesting looking greens.  "Hey Sam, tournament is about to start, drag your feet in a circle around 14th......" but I shall abide by the rules of golf. 

A number of courses are going spikeless - this includes no "soft spikes."

Julia

Spoiler

On 11/24/2015, 1:52:48, DrvFrShow said:

A number of courses are going spikeless - this includes no "soft spikes."

Please provide a list of these courses so I can avoid going to them - I hate those "nubbie" shoes, they leave marks worse than soft spikes.

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

Please provide a list of these courses so I can avoid going to them - I hate those "nubbie" shoes, they leave marks worse than soft spikes.

That depends on the type of soft spikes.  Some are really hard on the greens, others are still okay.  The ones that are made of hard, inflexible plastic can really leave deep and persistent depressions in the turf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

22 hours ago, rogolf said:

Describe "nubbie" shoes. These are what I wear. I've never noticed any bad marks on the greens. I hardly notice any marks at all.

Puma-BioFusion-Spikeless-Mesh-Golf-Shoe.

Julia

Spoiler

17 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Describe "nubbie" shoes. These are what I wear. I've never noticed any bad marks on the greens. I hardly notice any marks at all.

Puma-BioFusion-Spikeless-Mesh-Golf-Shoe.

Those look comfy. I like the low heal too. How is the grip in wet weather?

I've worn True shoes for a while and a pair of Footjoy M-Project. One has soft spikes and the others do not. Neither leave marks on the green. My issue with spike-less is wear and grip in wet weather.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!