IGNORED

Poor Treatment of Muslim Passengers

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

That doesn't make it any less unacceptable though.   And there is no need to qualify the type of attack, because by exclusion it infers that those who don't bother you (the previously mentioned non terrorists, now including the dude in Colorado) are somehow less cowardly.

And Colorado man further highlights how freaking absurd this entire conversation has become.  We're still talking about those "scary" Muslims but once again they have not hurt us.  A white dude of unknown religion has added to the toll.

People like the woman in the op are freaking cowardly bigots - plain and simple. 

Totally agree. Attacks by "Brown People" get far more sensationalist press than attacks by "Not Brown People" which skews everyone's perception of reality. Count up how many innocent Americans have been killed by the "Not Brown People" and then compare to the "Brown People" attacks. 

Get a grip people, acting like a bunch of xenophobic dicks isn't going to keep you safe. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That doesn't make it any less unacceptable though.   And there is no need to qualify the type of attack, because by exclusion it infers that those who don't bother you (the previously mentioned non terrorists, now including the dude in Colorado) are somehow less cowardly.

And Colorado man further highlights how freaking absurd this entire conversation has become.  We're still talking about those "scary" Muslims but once again they have not hurt us.  A white dude of unknown religion has added to the toll.

People like the woman in the op are freaking cowardly bigots - plain and simple. 

So much of this also is the fear of the unknown.  

Some American's have these perceptions about all Muslim and all Islamic people because, quite frankly, they're ignorant and because of the lack of knowledge they possess about, amongst other things, religious tenets and customs.

It's why we don't use the word "terrorist" when describing the following people - because they don't look like people we associate as foreigners who harm us: 

• Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols - Oklahoma City bombers;
  • Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold - Columbine murders;
  • Adam Lanza - Sandy Hook murder; 
  • Dylann Roof -  Charleston, SC Church murder;
  • Elliot Rodger - Isla Vista murder;
  • Aaron Alexis - Washington Navy Yard murder;
  • Wade Michael Page - Wisconsin Sikh Temple murder;
  • James Holmes  - Aurora CO movie theater murder;
  • Jared Lee Loughner - Tuscon supermarket murder;
  • Steven Kazmierczak - Northern Illinois University murder;
  • Seung-hui Cho - VA Tech murderer

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

8 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

I would add that the situation might be mitigated some if any Muslim religious leaders or rulers of Muslim dominated countries would publicly speak out against the slaughter of innocents by Islamic radicals.  But as long as leaders of some countries are publicly stating "Death to Israel" and "Death to America" and while other leaders in the area remains silent, I think caution is rational. 

Some do, some don't but all should do a lot more to cooperate, even lead, in fight against the bastard offshoot of Muslim.   But hey, that would be expecting too much from these so called religious leaders.   In Muslim (or Catholic, whatever major religion) world, I see religion and politics are one and the same, and they are both corrupt to the core.  As such, it may not be in their interest to lead the fight against terrorism.   I believe they will only act if and when their interest (political, financial) is threatened by ISIS.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, phillyk said:

There I fixed it for you. Notice that there is no mention of a specific religion or race, and now any person of any country could say the above and be true.

You may have made my comments PC but your "corrections" make them non specific, off topic if you will, to the "poor treatment of Muslim passengers" which was the thread originator's subject.  

Butch

10 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

I believe it is rational these days to be concerned with whom you are sharing an Airplane ride with.  It is unfortunate that this situation exists but as long as the Terrorists are killing what I perceive as innocent citizens I suspect this added attention will continue and it should.  

I would add that the situation might be mitigated some if any Muslim religious leaders or rulers of Muslim dominated countries would publicly speak out against the slaughter of innocents by Islamic radicals.  But as long as leaders of some countries are publicly stating "Death to Israel" and "Death to America" and while other leaders in the area remains silent, I think caution is rational.  

For the record here I mean no disrespect to any one or to their religion and I believe most Muslims are not going to harm anyone.  But as we have learned a few times now in our modern history, it doesn't take very large numbers to do a lot of harm. 

It is unfortunate that if a Muslim leader made an outspoken statement against these acts of terrorism, they would be the next victim. It's happened in the past and would likely happen in the future.

9 hours ago, phillyk said:

There I fixed it for you. Notice that there is no mention of a specific religion or race, and now any person of any country could say the above and be true.

This didn't really detract from the original statement, but it certainly puts violence as something everyone can be subject to under the wrong circumstances.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

17 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

I believe it is rational these days to be concerned with whom you are sharing an Airplane ride with.  It is unfortunate that this situation exists but as long as the Terrorists are killing what I perceive as innocent citizens I suspect this added attention will continue and it should.  

I don't mind the added attention, what I mind is being subjugated to humiliation after I have passed all the necessary security measures and I'm about to board my plane, or even worst if I am already on the plane (and not because of my actions, but because I have an accent or the beard that I have)

I think there has been enough speaking out against the innocent slaughter.  What does this have anything to do with not being treated like a human who passed all security checks?

The spoiler is all OT

Spoiler

Also, Just in case you don't read the news, both the US and Isreal kill innocent people, the difference is that it's state sanctioned and done with 5,000 LB bombs so it doesn't count..  Here are a couple of snippets for you.  

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/06/doctors-without-borders-airstrike-afghanistan-us-account-changes-again

The airstrike on the hospital is among the worst and most visible cases of civilian deaths caused by US forces during the 14-year Afghanistan war that Barack Obama has declared all but over. It killed 12 MSF staff and 10 patients, who had sought medical treatment after the Taliban overran Kunduz last weekend. Three children died in the airstrike that came in multiple waves and burned patients alive in their beds.

“They are now back to talking about a ‘mistake’. A mistake that lasted for more than an hour, despite the fact that the location of the hospital was well known to them and that they were informed during the airstrike that it was a hospital being hit. 

When Israel shelled a UN school in Gaza housing thousands of displaced Palestinians in August 2014, a State Department spokesman said the US was “appalled” by the “disgraceful” attack.

For the record here I mean no disrespect to any one or to their religion and I believe most Muslims are not going to harm anyone.  But as we have learned a few times now in our modern history, it doesn't take very large numbers to do a lot of harm. 

Understood, but eventually if we keep this up there will be concentration camps set up to keep us all Muslims away from everyone so that people can feel safe.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Okay, only offered for an additional viewpoint , I saw this in the NY Times. What caught my attention was the headline...

Why I Miss George W. Bush

Associated Press

By MEHDI HASAN (yes, a Muslim who is British and lives and works in D.C.)

Excerpts from GOP candidates stirring the pot...

Mr. Trump has also said he “would certainly implement” a federal database to register America’s estimated three million-plus Muslims and would not rule out asking Muslim-Americans to carry a special form of ID noting their faith.

Ben Carson, said that he is opposed to a Muslim’s being allowed to run for president because Islam is “inconsistent” with the Constitution. He also compared some Syrian refugees to “rabid dogs.”

Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor, said he would prefer to give asylum to Christian, rather than Muslim, refugees. 

Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, meanwhile, tried to outdo Mr. Trump by saying he’d close not only mosques, but Muslim cafes and diners, too.

Mr. Huckabee has called Islam “a religion that promotes the most murderous mayhem on the planet,” and Mr. Kasich has proposed a federal agency to spread “Judeo-Christian Western values.”

Today, fully 83 percent of Republicans agree with Dr. Carson that a Muslim shouldn’t be president. Only half (49 percent) of G.O.P. voters in Iowa think Islam should be legal in the United States.

It is important to recognize how out of sync such views are with the Republican Party’s historical record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/opinion/campaign-stops/why-i-miss-george-w-bush.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Rubio said that?  That's disappointing from someone who has potential to get the GOP nomination.     Did we close all the Cuban Cafes during the Cuban crisis?   I think not. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

Rubio said that?  That's disappointing from someone who has potential to get the GOP nomination.     Did we close all the Cuban Cafes during the Cuban crisis?   I think not. 

Muslims are an easy target, and they only make up about 8 million people in the US if that..  So, they won't be swaying any election or policy any time soon.

With the hightened sense of urgency to do something the candidates need to say more outragous things than the other in the hopes of really captivating the masses that will vote for them.

Then again, I could be wrong and they could just be complete idiots.  

There I was complaining about regular citizens in an airport.. I just need to remember things can get worst and I could be asked to wear a bracelet so everyone can know that s Muslim is coming.

Eyad

Man, it sure sucks when people are pre-judged for something over which they have little or no control-Huh Eyad?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

16 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Man, it sure sucks when people are pre-judged for something over which they have little or no control-Huh Eyad?

Ummm.. I'm pretty sure I have control over being a Muslim or not Phil.. However, if you want to start something that is OT for this thread may I suggest you either start a thread or find an old one, or even PM me about it and I am more than willing to discuss with an open mind.

Eyad

24 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

With the hightened sense of urgency to do something the candidates need to say more outragous things than the other in the hopes of really captivating the masses that will vote for them.

What they say now will hurt the GOP in the general election.   If not, for years to come, the GOP has to face the aftermath of this year's rhetorics.  Despite what is going on in the GOP politics right now,  they are going against the grain in too many issues (climate change, e.g.).  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Ummm.. I'm pretty sure I have control over being a Muslim or not Phil.. However, if you want to start something that is OT for this thread may I suggest you either start a thread or find an old one, or even PM me about it and I am more than willing to discuss with an open mind.

You do not control whether you look like a Muslim or an Arab or not.-And that would be the first time you have had an open mind on issues.

So no I will not PM you but I do think it is worth pointing out hypocrisy when it raises its ugly head.

B T W I am in favor of offering refuge to Syrians and Muslims and generally open-hearted about ALL human beings whether they are women or gay or addicted or drink a glass of wine every Tuesday with their book club.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

2 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

What they say now will hurt the GOP in the general election.   If not, for years to come, the GOP has to face the aftermath of this year's rhetorics.  Despite what is going on in the GOP politics right now,  they are going against the grain in too many issues (climate change, e.g.).  

I was just trying to give the view point of how I perceive it.. Maybe they haven't thought things through that far?  Political rhetoric is very strong in influencing people, and if you consider that the fight with ISIS is really starting to pick up now, they might be thinking that this will play well going into the election?

what it will do is make more incidents like the one in the OP prevalent and that's the unfortunate part for law abiding citizens.

Eyad

• Administrator

Okay peeps, and two of you in particular… Go back to ignoring each other please, as you've been asked to do several times in the past.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I was just trying to give the view point of how I perceive it.. Maybe they haven't thought things through that far?  Political rhetoric is very strong in influencing people, and if you consider that the fight with ISIS is really starting to pick up now, they might be thinking that this will play well going into the election?

American public can be very forgetful.   If around the general election time, ISIS isn't such a big issue, this can work against the GOPs.   OTOH, if ISIS is causing havoc at the time, I can see someone like Trump seizing power.    I sure hope not but this is what we have become (to borrow someone's word).  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 12:32:29, Golfingdad said:

See this is where you're wrong, the "dude in Colorado" bothers me just as much as ISIS and other psycho's that walk the streets.  I am pro-choice and pro death penalty so nothing would make me happier than for the "dude" to have gone home in a body bag and saved the taxpayers the money of a trial and jail.

I'd actually like to see all these mass murderers, terrorists, gang members, psycho's and others that take a persons life with a gun, knife, chainsaw or whatever their weapon of choice and be put to death.  I don't care what color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or sex they are, if you kill someone (other than in self defense), you get the death penalty.

Joe Paradiso

36 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

See this is where you're wrong, the "dude in Colorado" bothers me just as much as ISIS and other psycho's that walk the streets.  I am pro-choice and pro death penalty so nothing would make me happier than for the "dude" to have gone home in a body bag and saved the taxpayers the money of a trial and jail.

I'd actually like to see all these mass murderers, terrorists, gang members, psycho's and others that take a persons life with a gun, knife, chainsaw or whatever their weapon of choice and be put to death.  I don't care what color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or sex they are, if you kill someone (other than in self defense), you get the death penalty.

Ok good. :). You had made a comment up thread (or perhaps in another thread - I get them mixed up sometimes :P) that sounded like you were discounting these domestic terrorists because "they weren't classified as such" or something along those lines.

Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!