IGNORED

AMA Thread (@iacas)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

One of the more difficult shots for me is in a wet fairway.   It seems like I'm never getting my weight forward enough and hitting behind the ball.    I try to stand taller but I still either hit it thin or fat.

Suggestions?

Standing taller won't do much, typically.

You've probably got the answer right there: you're not getting your weight forward properly, or you're not achieving Key #3 at least.

Working on those things will help, but here's a slightly off-the-wall idea that I want you to try. First, take an extra club so you can make a slightly shorter, more controlled swing. Second, play the ball a ball more forward in your stance, so you can feel that you not only can go forward, but that you must go forward to hit the ball well.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Erik,

This is a sort of follow-up on a previous question:

You stated before that you don't like looking in the past, but look forward. Do you have any future goals or aspirations for the Sand Trap site, in your teaching golf, or maybe some other endeavor?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
On August 23, 2016 at 1:03 AM, onthehunt526 said:

You stated before that you don't like looking in the past, but look forward. Do you have any future goals or aspirations for the Sand Trap site, in your teaching golf, or maybe some other endeavor?

I don't have any real goals or aspirations for TST. I like what it is, and hope it can continue to be kind of what it is. I'd love to find four solid sponsors/partners for 2017, and the search for that will begin soon (with PING and GAME GOLF being at the top of the list of course), but that just lets the site run smoothly and with the latest software, and so on.

I'd love to have a great Newport Cup in 2017. Work on that will begin soon, too.

Teaching? I'm happy with what I do. I don't plan to move or do anything radical, so I just want to keep doing what I've been doing: growing, learning, and giving it my best every day. Do that and the future tends to take care of itself.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Hey @iacas,

Quick question: how does GHIN combine 9 hole scores? Do they just add the differentials together or is the formula more sophisticated than that? 

I've been unsuccessful finding the answer on-line. Thanks

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I think I can save @iacas fingertips a little wear and tear.  You can find that answer here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

in Section 5-2.d.  Essentially, the two scores are added together, and then a differential is determined.  The Course Rating is the sum of the ratings for the two nines, while the Slope is the average of the two slopes.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I can save @iacas fingertips a little wear and tear.  You can find that answer here:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

in Section 5-2.d.  Essentially, the two scores are added together, and then a differential is determined.  The Course Rating is the sum of the ratings for the two nines, while the Slope is the average of the two slopes.

Yup.

Next question? :-)

• 1 month later...

@iacas How do I know if my stance is too wide ? I feel as if I get too wide sometimes which hinders my weight transfer. In an effort to not be so steep I widened my stance and have had zero benefits . With my 5-6-7 irons I havent found a comfortable stance. Right now Im a little tiny bit farther than shoulder width apart with the ball in my left armpit or shirt logo. I realize its probably hard for you to diagnose me from a thousand miles away but please try, haha. Thanks-Rick

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

21 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

My turn to save @iacas' fingertips a little wear and tear:

Create a MySwing thread on this site, or (even better) join Evolvr: http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

22 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

My turn to save @iacas' fingertips a little wear and tear:

Create a MySwing thread on this site, or (even better) join Evolvr: http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

Nice...... but can you save me $50 a month ? Wear and tear on the ole wallet, haha. Wish I could go that route but I cant

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

4 minutes ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Nice...... but can you save me $50 a month ? Wear and tear on the ole wallet, haha. Wish I could go that route but I cant

:offtopic:

The MySwing thread is free, and I'd guarantee someone would tell you whether your stance is too wide.

OK, let's end the thread-hijack.

- John

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

@iacas How do I know if my stance is too wide?

This thread isn't really about specific, individual instructional questions (there are far better places for that), so I think @Hardspoon gave you the answer I'd give you.

Too wide a stance limits how much your hips can pivot (slightly) and how far forward they can transfer on the downswing. It widens the area where low point can occur.

• 3 weeks later...

Has TST gone through any distinct "phases" as you look back in retrospect? For example, were there lean times when few posters contributed much? Or some incredible heyday period where there were just tons of good people creating good topics?

or do you divide simply into preShorty/Shorty/postShorty? That's a joke, @Shorty (if u r still there).

Or perhaps any historical stats on posts per month? 

Basically feel free to answer whatever you want about how you look back on TST history, as many of us here may not be aware of the early days. 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Has TST gone through any distinct "phases" as you look back in retrospect? For example, were there lean times when few posters contributed much? Or some incredible heyday period where there were just tons of good people creating good topics?

or do you divide simply into preShorty/Shorty/postShorty? That's a joke, @Shorty (if u r still there).

Or perhaps any historical stats on posts per month? 

Basically feel free to answer whatever you want about how you look back on TST history, as many of us here may not be aware of the early days. 

Great query. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

I don't really want to answer. It's not something I have at my fingertips and I don't want to spend the time to look it up.

TST is seasonal. December is the slowest month historically. Even then we see 300k+ unique visitors.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I don't really want to answer. It's not something I have at my fingertips and I don't want to spend the time to look it up.

TST is seasonal. December is the slowest month historically. Even then we see 300k+ unique visitors.

Alright then, what size shoes do you wear?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

Alright then, what size shoes do you wear?

10 or even 9.5 wide in a skate. Up to 12 in other things.

• 1 month later...

In general, for those of us who are either older or have older body parts, aside from losing distance, is there any issue with taking the club back to more of a 9-9:30 position instead of 11-11:30.  I find when I try to extend my takeaway to a higher point, I lose accuracy (I assume this is because I lose Key #1).  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
12 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

In general, for those of us who are either older or have older body parts, aside from losing distance, is there any issue with taking the club back to more of a 9-9:30 position instead of 11-11:30.  I find when I try to extend my takeaway to a higher point, I lose accuracy (I assume this is because I lose Key #1).  

I think that distance is important… to the point at which you're losing "too much" accuracy.

But that point is farther down the road than most people in your situation seem to think. I'd encourage you to film your swing and check out what flaw starts to exhibit itself from 9:00 to 11:00.

Also… check your 9:00 swing - it may be closer to 11:00 than you think, and your 11:00 swing may just be really long. Or you bend your left arm or something.

Note: This thread is 1276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!